Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Thanks for posting. Do you have any hats with paper labels / stamps that look like these?

17203713027_817844bccd_b.jpg

34465593561_a9154e6361_b.jpg

RJR

Karl, It's great! My guess is early to mid 1950s. Can you post photos of the bow side and front view? 5 1/2 Point = 58cm but Borsalinos from the original factory tend to run about a 1/2 size to a whole size smaller.

Karl, that's a very nice looking borsalino. The size of 5 1/2 punti makes it a 58 but borsalinos almost always run small. The consensus here is that the label with the borsalino brand sideways stops appearing somewhere around 1955, so this hat is therefore earlier than that. Early to mid fifties I'd say. Welcome to the brotherhood! You realise of course there's no going back...

KarlCrow

One Too Many
Karl, that's a very nice looking borsalino. The size of 5 1/2 punti makes it a 58 but borsalinos almost always run small. The consensus here is that the label with the borsalino brand sideways stops appearing somewhere around 1955, so this hat is therefore earlier than that. Early to mid fifties I'd say. Welcome to the brotherhood! You realise of course there's no going back...

thanks man, hah i know, there's something else I will be able to post in this thread in a couple of weeks time when it arrives.

DVNO

Familiar Face
Cheers! I got a new Borsalino Panama hat (will post some pictures on the weekend). Since it's my first Panama, i wonder how i take care of this nice hat? What's best for Panama hats?

DocCasualty

One of the Regulars
I was given this hat in the late '70s and have worn it ever since. Undoubtedly my favorite hat and I tend to get positive comments about it stll. I was told the gentleman who originally owned it purchased it in Rome and I would guess that was in the '60s or earlier '70s. It did have the onionskin liner but that started to crack up at one point so I removed it. Honestly it's more breathable/comfortable without it. Other than being due for a cleaning/blocking, the sweatband is starting to come unstitched in a couple of spots. Otherwise this hat looks no worse for its years.

I was wondering if those in the know could tell me anything about this Borsalino? Sorry for the less than ideal photos. I would describe it as a chocolate brown. It is a Punti 6 1/2 and I wear a 7 3/8, which seems to back the statement upstream that these hats run smaller than labeled.

IMG_5039[1].JPG
IMG_5035[1].JPG
IMG_5036[1].JPG
IMG_5037[1].JPG
IMG_5044[1].JPG
IMG_5029[1].JPG
IMG_5030[1].JPG
IMG_5032[1].JPG

KarlCrow

One Too Many
I was given this hat in the late '70s and have worn it ever since. Undoubtedly my favorite hat and I tend to get positive comments about it stll. I was told the gentleman who originally owned it purchased it in Rome and I would guess that was in the '60s or earlier '70s. It did have the onionskin liner but that started to crack up at one point so I removed it. Honestly it's more breathable/comfortable without it. Other than being due for a cleaning/blocking, the sweatband is starting to come unstitched in a couple of spots. Otherwise this hat looks no worse for its years.

I was wondering if those in the know could tell me anything about this Borsalino? Sorry for the less than ideal photos. I would describe it as a chocolate brown. It is a Punti 6 1/2 and I wear a 7 3/8, which seems to back the statement upstream that these hats run smaller than labeled.

View attachment 74848 View attachment 74849 View attachment 74850 View attachment 74851 View attachment 74852 View attachment 74843 View attachment 74844 View attachment 74845
is there a label under the sweat? they'll (the brotherhood) want to see it to tell you more.

punti: http://www.thehatmovement.co.uk/sizing.html

Yes, italian vintage hats in general often run one size smaller apparently.

beautiful hat doc
Just for clarification it's French sizing so Point not Punti. The site has the correct country but doesn't use the French word. I guess most people now associate the sizing with Italian hats but most European hat companies used French sizing (along with CM sizing) up to WWII and a good number afterwards. Here is 1930s JHS size label with Centimeter, American Size, Point French and English Size.

3723010891_9171b3840a_b.jpg

Last edited:

DocCasualty

One of the Regulars
IMG_5048[1].JPG

is there a label under the sweat? they'll (the brotherhood) want to see it to tell you more.
I was about to answer no but did discover a tag which I would not have seen except the stitching pulled away there. Might have made that a little worse but it needs to be restitched anyway. Not a great photo. The top line reads "2C732 44307". Bottom line I believe reads "Cafro Secosca". And of course the size, 6 1/2.

Thanks for your reply!

KarlCrow

One Too Many
View attachment 74859

I was about to answer no but did discover a tag which I would not have seen except the stitching pulled away there. Might have made that a little worse but it needs to be restitched anyway. Not a great photo. The top line reads "2C732 44307". Bottom line I believe reads "Cafro Secosca". And of course the size, 6 1/2.

Thanks for your reply!
crikes! Sorry i made you pull some stitching, i thought the sweat would accessibly pull back from above.

Cheers! I got a new Borsalino Panama hat (will post some pictures on the weekend). Since it's my first Panama, i wonder how i take care of this nice hat? What's best for Panama hats?
Wear it. I've been led to believe it's good for the hat to be sprayed with a bith of water (to prevent it from drying out).
View attachment 74859

Thanks for your reply!
Very nice looking Borsalino. In my experience the Borsalino hats with beaver or nutria content in the felt are thin on the ground. Hardly ever see one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21