Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Mario said:
In that case the hat was manufactured in 1969 (just like me! :D), which correlates to another, handwritten label I just now found hidden behind the liner. The first few digits are hardly legible, but it reads something like xx/xx/69, so I take this to be the date of manufacture.

BTW: I really wouldn't mind finding one like this with a wider (say, 2 3/4") brim... :rolleyes: :D

The year should be first two digits so need those for dating.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:
Many similarities to the 1930's-early 1940's. Most of the Bulgarian Zlateff hats have the number beginning 38---. I might speculate that yours is just a bit earlier in production date. So, if you buy my theory of the pre-War origin putting those hats probably 1940-41 production, than yours might be the end of the 1930's. Just a educated(maybe) guess.

Thanks rlk. I'm surprised at the early dates given by you and Dreispitz, but primarily because the hat looks brand new. I would think it would show some age just from sitting around that long. I have a Zlateff 'cellophane' Borso arriving any day now, so looking forward to comparing the two.

Here are pics of the tag:

BorsoFrTagsMed.jpg

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Dinerman said:
The borsalino serial number dating code only works on modern hats with the computer printed tags.

Then the tag in my hat doesn't apply. It looks more like the one ScottF posted above, only that mine is more yellowed. Still, there is that other, handwritten label which says something like xx/23/69 (it's very hard to see, and I can't really photograph it, as it is fairly high above the stitches on the liner).

When did Borsalino start using black sweats? And the English translation 'Original House'?

Mario said:
Then the tag in my hat doesn't apply. It looks more like the one ScottF posted above, only that mine is more yellowed. Still, there is that other, handwritten label which says something like xx/23/69 (it's very hard to see, and I can't really photograph it, as it is fairly high above the stitches on the liner).

When did Borsalino start using black sweats? And the English translation 'Original House'?

Then it isn't one of the later ones. Looking again at the sweat it does look earlier. It is more the style vs. the color. My guess would be 60s.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
Thanks rlk. I'm surprised at the early dates given by you and Dreispitz, but primarily because the hat looks brand new. I would think it would show some age just from sitting around that long. I have a Zlateff 'cellophane' Borso arriving any day now, so looking forward to comparing the two.

Here are pics of the tag:

BorsoFrTagsMed.jpg
OK, your stamp does look later without the script Borsalino on the left edge and the blue ink size. More modern reed cloth too. Maybe late 1950's then.
I made a stupid assumption that it was the same type of stamp as the earlier hats. My apologies.
This hat is 1959 give or take a few years and sold in Italy.
3820218977_72bf65b35d.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:
OK, your stamp does look later without the script Borsalino on the left edge and the blue ink size. More modern reed cloth too. Maybe late 1950's then.
I made a stupid assumption that it was the same type of stamp as the earlier hats. My apologies.

That sounds more in line with its appearance, but nothing stupid about your assumptions - it DOES look like a '30s or '40s hat; in fact, I bought it thinking that's what I was getting.

Also, if I remember correctly - there have been a few hats with similar tags to mine, posted as '40s hats.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
That sounds more in line with its appearance, but nothing stupid about your assumptions - it DOES look like a '30s or '40s hat; in fact, I bought it thinking that's what I was getting.

Also, if I remember correctly - there have been a few hats with similar tags to mine, posted as '40s hats.

I was hoping to accumulate data on the stamps accompanied by hats that could be accurately dated(not by visual style suppositions), as there are definite periods for their use, since the number codes have proven too cryptic on the pre 1975 hats. I made the vague suggestion earlier in this thread but had no response.

IF YOU HAVE A PRE-1975 BORSALINO YOU CAN POSITIVELY DATE PLEASE SEND A PHOTO OF YOUR STAMP AND GENERAL VIEW OF THE HAT. EITHER TO THIS THREAD OR A NEW ONE OR PM ME, WHATEVER IS BEST. I THINK WE WILL BE ABLE TO FIGURE OUT DATE RANGES--POSSIBLY EVEN THE NUMBER SYSTEM IF THERE IS A LARGE ENOUGH SAMPLE. LINERS AND SWEATBANDS ARE JUST TOO VARIABLE FOR BORSALINO. HEY, ITS WORTH A TRY.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
If you want to start a thread on dating pre-1975 borsos by tag, go for it. It seems like a pretty worthwhile endeavor to me - along the lines of the Stetson crest, liner, and quality threads.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Aureliano said:
Can the "grand prix Paris 1900" give an idea of a hat's age?
The hat was made after 1900. :) Seems a whole lot of companies won something at that exposition and kept putting it on their hats for a long time, not just Borsalino.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
A few days ago I decided to give my cream colored Borso a new crease. The diamond looked great, but I wanted longer, deeper side pinches and found they work better with a center dent. Of course this introduced some taper to the sides, but it also left me with a nice reverse taper on the front and back as well.

On the left is the old bash with the diamond, on the right the new center dent crease.

Borsalino-Grey.jpg
borsalino-cream.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
ScottF said:
Mario - that's a beauty - I had a really floppy one almost exactly like it. Also, all of my Borsalinos but one have fit about one size smaller than tagged, exception being a newer one.

I have another one similar to yours that I sent to Optimo - being a 'high rider' as you say, it ended up looking just fine with Optimo's 'gangster' crease, and I have been wearing it as-is. You might try that. Also, a little steam helped it lose some of the floppiness and retain shape.

I like it a lot better with the new crease. Borsalinos are very finicky and I really believe that the crown shape was designed to look best with certain creases in mind. The style you have looks great with a very basic minimal crease - it brings out the lines.

I've been trying for months to make my brown one work with a snapped brim and side dents, but finally gave up and now wear it like a Homburg. I'm convinced that's what the hatter had in mind.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
billysmom said:
Very nice, Mario. Adds a bit more drama and swagger. ;)

Sue

Have we seen a pic of Mario wearing this hat? This is an awesome hat that really deserves a head beneath it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou