Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
Are these Borsos made for Bencraft anywhere near the vintage specimens in terms of quality of felt, craftsmanship, etc.?

Unlike others in this forum, I think the felt in the Bencraft Alessandria is quite good and is of the similar quality to the two vintage Borsalino that I own. The liner is perhaps not so nice; the sweatbands aren't anywhere near as nice, but on the other hand, they're not total crap, either.

I don't understand the worship of vintage and the automatic assumption that modern is crap by comparison, because it's just not. I like the new ones well enough that I'm going to be selling one of my vintage Borsalinos, oh the horror! I think it's a good deal for $240.

Now, that said, for the exact same price, I am getting a "copy" of the Alessandria from Parker at Falcon Park. Six inch crown, 2-5/8" bound edge, wind string, and a copy of the bow on my dove-grey vintage Borsalino. It'll be his "vintage" felt from Fepsa in cream. Hopes are high, and if this works out, I will not hesitate to recommend it if it's as good or better than the Alessandria.

I used to scour ebay for vintage because I thought I would be getting the same quality for a better price. After you get enough filthy rags for the same price as new, it doesn't make sense for me any more. At least with a new hat I can shape it how I like and the only dirt on it is mine.

If you can wait a few weeks on the Alessandria, you'll be able to see how my custom comes out.

Tom

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Here is my latest Borsalino.
746d00f6.jpg

Mike, that has a great shape to it. Will you attempt a naptha bath?

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I don't understand the worship of vintage and the automatic assumption that modern is crap by comparison, because it's just not.
Tom

I hope what I said before doesn't get misinterpreted. I said quality, in my own personal experience, is a hit-and-miss situation. I own one modern Borsalino (used to own 4 at some point, all good)--from Bencraft--and I love it. The felt is great. Now, to find this specimen with felt to my standards, I went through at least 10 hats who went from ok to good, to bad and to great. This is not Bencraft's fault BTW, but rather inconsistencies at the factory. I spoke about this with someone when I visited Alessandria, and it seemed a concern they wanted to address. They mentioned that fewer young people want to get into hat making and the skill and technique of the older folks is getting lost as, when they leave, no one wants to take their place.

jbucklin

Practically Family
"I used to scour ebay for vintage because I thought I would be getting the same quality for a better price. After you get enough filthy rags for the same price as new, it doesn't make sense for me any more. At least with a new hat I can shape it how I like and the only dirt on it is mine."

This is exactly what I'm worried about. I'm not sure I'm willing to gamble for what might be something less than desirable.

"I used to scour ebay for vintage because I thought I would be getting the same quality for a better price. After you get enough filthy rags for the same price as new, it doesn't make sense for me any more. At least with a new hat I can shape it how I like and the only dirt on it is mine."

This is exactly what I'm worried about. I'm not sure I'm willing to gamble for what might be something less than desirable.

There has been much discussion on the pros and cons of vintage vs. new. My new Borsalino (also a Como) has hare fur felt. It is the best feature of this hat - soft and smooth to the hand. It doesn't hold a crease very well. The liner is acetate with a synthetic feel, like a prom dress. The unreeded sweatband is thin, somewhat uncomfortable - the stitching digs in a bit at the forehead. But it did arrive new and clean for $225. I have spend more than $225 once or twice on a vintage hat, never this much for a Borsalino.

There are fantastic early hats out there in superb condition. It takes some experience with hats and with Ebay to ferret them out with reasonable success and even so, you come up with stinkers from time to time. Some people enjoy the challenge of the hunt, others don't find it fun at all.

From my perspective and from the qualities I enjoy in my hats, once you handle a felt hat in fine condition from the 1940s and earlier, it establishes a reference point that is very difficult for a new hat at any price to meet.

jbucklin

Practically Family
I'm one who doesn't find the challenge of the hunt fun at all. But then again, I have yet to handle a felt hat in fine condition from the 1940s and earlier. Maybe I shouldn't. :/

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
Actually, except for the ribbon issue where it sits above the brim on some, the new Stetson Stratoliner is a nice hat. I gave mine to my dad, and if I weren't getting the aforementioned Falcon Park custom, I'd get another and have the ribbon moved.

I'll tell you this, though, you get some of those 40s felts cleaned and reblocked and they feel a whole heck of a lot closer to modern. I think some guys just like them really soft.

Tom

jbucklin

Practically Family
Yeah, that's what I meant---years of everyday wear and handling. However, I watch a lot of classic films and notice that the hats from the 30s and 40s appear to be very soft and pliable.

jbucklin

Practically Family
Is the vintage one the hat on the far left? Don't answer yet, I'd like to see what others say.

Btw, I just called Bencraft and talked to a guy named Chris who was very vague about the differences in quality between new vs. vintage. He did say that the new ones have a taller crown. He really only commented on differences in style rather than quality of felt. I guess that should be expected, seeing that he works in a hat shop that sells Borsalinos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick