Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

rlk

I'll Lock Up
2 New Cordova Caps

The Devon
P1070598.JPG
P1070597.JPG

The Star Cap
P1070599.JPG
P1070596.JPG

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Lying flat on my stomach, facing Upland, California! I'm a great admirer of Johnny's caps, but when he 'plays around' with patterns, he completely sweeps me off of the chair. I really like yours, Two Types. You wear it with a classy tilt and show very good taste in scenary :)

Robert, yours are beyond fantastic! And as with most every piece of head wear you show here, you complement them like nobody else. The interlacing patterns are executed with extreme perfectionism. It resembles the painstaking grain matching, seen in works by old master cabinetmakers and luthiers. It's wonderful that at least a few idealists still show so much attention and respect for the smallest details in their craft. And that small button dressed in the contrasting pattern, perfectly lined up! :eusa_clap

Johnny, you're a monster ... ehhh ... a master! :D

Stuffsmith

Fedora Lounge Artisan
Hello all - I wanted to drop a line and introduce myself, and say that I have spent the last three nights gobbling up this thread from page 1 - so many great images, so much history and camaraderie here. I definitely feel amongst kin here in my passion for headwear.

I've had my head shaved for 23 years, so hats and caps have truly been my daily hair. I'm fairly new to wearing caps, having come from wearing hats from Optimo and vintage finds over the last 10 years and interspersing it with cheap skullcaps.

Everything changed a few years ago when I spotted an acquaintance wearing a flat cap that blew me away. We struck up a conversation, and I was turned on to a British company called Dashing Tweeds - anyone here know them? They've taken traditional tweed patterns and really had fun playing with them – some of them are phenomenal. They even incorporate some luminescent threads in their tweeds, which make a contrasting pattern appear when hit with car headlights at night.

I furnished myself with about six or seven of their caps, and they have done me well...until my eyes fell on Johnny J's creations, that is. Now everything I have looks sad and lacking :) Really, though, it has opened my eyes to the newsboy pie plates that I find absolutely phenomenal. I've actually DREAMED about Mr. C's Starflower cap, no lie. I have decided it will grace my pate for my upcoming 50th birthday...

I've gathered a handful of vintage caps in the last few months, and am having a blast. I will post some pix of my various pieces over the next week.

To conclude this unintentional tome, I want to thank all of you regulars - Simonds, Wiser Hatter, Chepstow, Seabass, Orangegrad, T Jones, and all the others I've missed, and a big tip of the brim to Cordova, who will be putting unimaginable strain on my mortgage for years to come. It's great to be here!

Keith Lo Bue

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Here's a link - check out their cloth section: http://www.dashingtweeds.co.uk/shop/cloth.html

Keith, thank you so much for telling us about Dashing Tweeds!! Some of the early vintage caps have some very interesting wool fabric patterns that are no longer available and I'm always searching for something close, and I think we just found them. :) These fabrics will definitely make some nice, unique vintage style caps!

Simonds

Vendor
Welcome, Keith, looking forward to seeing the cap collection. Thanks for posting the Dashing tweeds link, they have some very interesting tweeds no doubt!

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Keith, welcome to 'The Cap Faction'. Please start posting pics, you know how excited we get around here when someone new joins in with the fun!

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Photo%20Aug%2013%2C%202%2031%2048%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Aug%2013%2C%202%2031%2056%20PM.jpg

Wanted to post BK's French work cap he had for sale.
It's made of selvage jean fabric. The cap is darted in the rear and has a round seam in the front of the cap like many modern day caps.
The cut of the fabric raises the front of the crown up off the bill of the cap. Which does not have any internal support.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes