Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

vintage.vendeuse

A-List Customer
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Not quite the golden era, I know. I'm thinking 1970s on this one, can someone please confirm? I believe the union label was used until 1978. A cool cap!

Reactions: job

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Last edited:

RJR

‭Nice Cap Daniel, Sterkowski makes Great Caps! I own one too - The Biker Version!
I removed the fitting and Lining so the Fabric has a better shape and falls nicely .

4530fbeba5375b1469cb54046a781143.jpg

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
That cap looks very nice,the drape is perfect.

Does anyone own a cap from the Oregon Hat People? I am thinking of ordering a linen cap for summer but their website is pretty basic and hard to really see the cap. Any experience with their products?

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Does anyone own a cap from the Oregon Hat People? I am thinking of ordering a linen cap for summer but their website is pretty basic and hard to really see the cap. Any experience with their products?

I own several of their caps. I like what I have. There is no stiffener in the bill and it is not stitched down so you can get a variety of looks out of one hat. The sweat band is fabric and I believe they come with a safety pin in their label tag. There is a little pocket in the back of their sweatbands that will hid the pin if you need to adjust the size for that perfect fit as you either get a haircut or grow it out. Pretty ingenious actually.
I some day you happen to make it to Portland, Oregon some day go to what they call Saturday Market. It is a arts & crafts & farmers market rolled into one. Hat people have a booth set up there and they usually have a larger variety to choose from. They had also told me that they could work with you on a custom piece, but that was a couple of years back. You may want to contact them and see if they still do that.
Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
‭Nice Cap Daniel, Sterkowski makes Great Caps! I own one too - The Biker Version!
I removed the fitting and Lining so the Fabric has a better shape and falls nicely .

4530fbeba5375b1469cb54046a781143.jpg

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Ah thank you!:)
I have one of their Biker caps as well, the eight panel version. I had misjudged the European sizing and ordered my usual size 59. Fits more like a 60. A little safety pin work and it fits perfectly now. It is one of my usual go to hats in my rotations.
101_7767.jpg

Looking forward to getting a few more of their caps though the year. I also have their linen artist cap, and want a few more like it for the summer. I'm thinking one in a navy blue.

Cheers!

Dan

I own several of their caps. I like what I have. There is no stiffener in the bill and it is not stitched down so you can get a variety of looks out of one hat. The sweat band is fabric and I believe they come with a safety pin in their label tag. There is a little pocket in the back of their sweatbands that will hid the pin if you need to adjust the size for that perfect fit as you either get a haircut or grow it out. Pretty ingenious actually.
I some day you happen to make it to Portland, Oregon some day go to what they call Saturday Market. It is a arts & crafts & farmers market rolled into one. Hat people have a booth set up there and they usually have a larger variety to choose from. They had also told me that they could work with you on a custom piece, but that was a couple of years back. You may want to contact them and see if they still do that.
Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Dan
Thank you, I do travel down the I5, spent time in Eugene/McMinnville last year and hope to return this year. I am waiting for 2 caps from AmiCharnel in tweed and just received one from Celtic Tweed out of Dublin, both hatters make great caps but being British their linen caps are a bit too heavy for the summers here. If I cannot make it to Oregon I will just jump and order on trust.....the risk is minimal. So if I understand the bill is just linen? No, plastic, leather or cardboard in the bill at all?

...So if I understand the bill is just linen? No, plastic, leather or cardboard in the bill at all?
There does appear to be a thin layer of some kind of material in the brim that stiffens it just slightly. I don't know if it's linen, but it's definitely not a rigid or semi-rigid material like plastic, leather, or cardboard. I have three Hat People "Newsboy" caps myself. The shells are made from Pendleton wool, not linen, but they're very comfortable.

Hat_People_Caps_zpsvaq2o2yr.jpg

From left to right: Light Gray and Black Herringbone; Green, Brown, and Black Herringbone; Dark Gray and Black Herringbone. They're all Hat People's "Full Cut".

One thing to keep in mind with regards to their Pendleton wools--Hat People seems to get whatever is available at the time they place their order, and once they use it up they might not be able to get it again. As such, the hats in the left and center photos above are no longer listed on their website. Again, this seems to only happen with their Pendleton wools; the linens and Dark Brown Corduroy don't seem to be affected. So if you're considering one of their wool hats, get it when you see it because it might not be there the next time you visit the website.

There does appear to be a thin layer of some kind of material in the brim that stiffens it just slightly. I don't know if it's linen, but it's definitely not a rigid or semi-rigid material like plastic, leather, or cardboard. I have three Hat People "Newsboy" caps myself. The shells are made from Pendleton wool, not linen, but they're very comfortable.

Great looking caps, think I will jump and get a linen one on order. Thanks for the pics it gives me a much better idea of the fullness.

Hat_People_Caps_zpsvaq2o2yr.jpg

From left to right: Light Gray and Black Herringbone; Green, Brown, and Black Herringbone; Dark Gray and Black Herringbone. They're all Hat People's "Full Cut".

One thing to keep in mind with regards to their Pendleton wools--Hat People seems to get whatever is available at the time they place their order, and once they use it up they might not be able to get it again. As such, the hats in the left and center photos above are no longer listed on their website. Again, this seems to only happen with their Pendleton wools; the linens and Dark Brown Corduroy don't seem to be affected. So if you're considering one of their wool hats, get it when you see it because it might not be there the next time you visit the website.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
The ones that Zombie_61 posted are Hat Peoples Full Cut. They have an Extra Full Cut that really has a lot of extra material. I have one in a very light summer weight wool that I had picked up at Portland's Saturday Market. It's not an everyday hat for me, but when my inner muse is active I seem to pull it off well. It's funny to see me in a Jeep with the top down & this volume of fabric whipping in the wind.
I think what the extra material in the bill is interfacing. It gives the bill some shape & body without the stiffness so you can tweak it how you like and it will stay in place for the most part. so there is no plastics or cardboard stiffeners or wires.
So, yeah, I would order one if you can't make it to Portland. If by some chance you get there on a weekend, be sure to hit their booth at Saturday Market. They are a pleasure to deal with and will tell you if something doesn't work, and help to make sure the cap is adjusted to that perfect fit right there.

BTW Zombie this caps look fantastic.

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner