Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

Grammercy Cap

Could be 1940s, 50s or later... nice flecked tweed, synthetic sweatband, union label.

grammercy1.jpg

grammercy2.jpg

011312.jpg

Adnamira

A-List Customer
Righteo, will do, Razzman. The crown seams on this cap seem a bit bunchy, but overall the cap is very weel made and nicely stitched together. The brim is nice and big, actually starts near your ears, and is actually flexible rather than stiff, so must have a fabric filler. The eight panel lining is a very good idea and shapes and holds exactly to the shape of the crown, so you don't have to be pushing it back in place all the time, well not at all actually. Out of the box, you just had to flex the brim a bit and it was right to go.

Nice looking cap Adnamira! Would you mind showing some close up pics of the hat inside and out? Thanks

Adnamira

A-List Customer
I've overlooked these caps for a long time, as I was turned off by the bunchy look of the crown and that there weren't many photos of people wearing them in google search. Now I'm trying to stop myself getting another one ;) It has the best dimension for the size of my head, the best sized brim, which is both of a good size and you can bend it around easily, and the eight panel lining is definitely the best of any cap I've bought so far. The fabric in this cap is pretty thick and the lining is also pretty thick cotton, so along with the size, it has a fair bit of weight to it. As this is the first cap I've bought from Ralph, I can't vouch for how good the others are, but this one is a winner.

I've had my eye on some Zasu caps. Those pics have made me a believer. Not only that but Ralph Reynolds is just a few miles from me.

Adnamira

A-List Customer
Thanks Adnamira! I like the looks of the Zasu Cap. It looks like an extra full cut, does the cap run true to size?
Sat side by side, the Zasu cap looks twice the size of my hat people full cut. The dimension of the cap works well. I thought this cap would be a bit big for me, as the hat people caps I've ordered are 23 1/2 inches, which I think is about 60cm. This cap is 7 1/2 or 61cm on the label. All these different measurements are confusing, metric, English imperial versus American measurements. This cap is snug on my head. Wouldn't want it any smaller, as she's pretty solid and doesn't have much stretch in it as far as I can tell. It fits me similar to a 59cm Akubra. I reckon you need to go on the US hat size chart rather than the metric measurement given - 7 1/2 UK is equal to 61cm, but 7 1/2 US hat size should be 60cm, according to this chart http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/scales/hatsizes.html

email68

One of the Regulars
What is a good place besides The Hat People to get a cap?

I've had a order in with them since Dec 1st and still dont have it. I've emailed a couple of times and they respond that they are busy. Perhaps too busy for my business.

Looking for a good vendor over a cheap price.

Thanks

Tim

Adnamira

A-List Customer

I've had a order in with them since Dec 1st and still dont have it. I've emailed a couple of times and they respond that they are busy. Perhaps too busy for my business.

Thanks

Tim

I'm pleased with my experience with Zasu. I had looked at them many times, but wasn't sure about the look of them. Now I've got one, I'm really liking it. I recieved my cap in eight days, and I am in rural Australia. And it was only $12 postage! The cap was well packaged in a box. I'm liking that you can see the actual cap that you buy, and the photos on Ralfs ebay store seem to represent what the cap actually looks like, so you can judge pretty well whether you'll like it or not... except you have to think big - these are big caps. I'm not sure they would match up to someone looking for an exact vintage replica cap - I'm personally more concerned about comfort, wearability and dimension, and am not a real fashionista.http://myworld.ebay.com.au/zasu/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

Last edited:

Adnamira

A-List Customer

Thanks

Tim

My last order with hat people took right on six weeks, but that includes postage to Australia. You really need to order them ahead of season. I've had good experience with Delmonicco Hatters. Maybe not always the cheapest, but well packaged, and they discount on some lines, if you want a factory made cap. One day I will probably order a Wigens through them.

riccardo

Practically Family
Hi to all,
an Amletic question: caps or fedoras?
Could anyone tell me why and/or when to wear a cap an why and/or when to wear a fedora?
To love caps is antitetic to love fedoras?
I really love fedoras till I bought my first cap...need help!!!
God bless you.
Riccardo.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up

Thanks

Tim

Tim you really need to call and talk to Carol at Hat People about your order. That's what I would do.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Not great lighting this morning, but here are various pics of the Zasu cap. The photos on Ralph Reynolds ebay site are pretty much how the cap looks, so I think you can be confident the cap will look pretty much like the pictures of them there.
[Zasu cap by Adnamira, on Flickr

That is a extra full cut hat for sure. It's good that the brim is long and full to match the size of the cap.
My next new cap will be a Retro Sport as I like the 8 dart cap alot.
Thanks for posting this one as we have not had anyone post a Zasu cap in this thread.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Hi to all,
an Amletic question: caps or fedoras?
Could anyone tell me why and/or when to wear a cap an why and/or when to wear a fedora?
To love caps is antitetic to love fedoras?
I really love fedoras till I bought my first cap...need help!!!
God bless you.
Riccardo.

I wear both,sometimes both in the same day.:) It is more of how you feel for me. If am in a no fuss mood I pick up a cap. If I want a more dress look I put on a Fedora.

DNO

One Too Many
I wear both,sometimes both in the same day.:) It is more of how you feel for me. If am in a no fuss mood I pick up a cap. If I want a more dress look I put on a Fedora.

Same with me. Sometimes my choice is decided by the wind...calm day calls for a fedora. On a windy day, I'll wear a basque beret or my new cap. Sometimes the temperature calls for a closer fitting, wool cap as well...a beret or a cap. It was -12C during my walk last night...I wore my cap.

email68

One of the Regulars
Tim you really need to call and talk to Carol at Hat People about your order. That's what I would do.

Thanks Hatter. I have emailed her a couple of times.

I'm not sure if they forgot my order or if they are just really busy. They advertise four weeks but say it never takes that long.
I'll give them another week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic