Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I don't have a pic of the style, but I was hoping someone could name it and point me in the direction of a quality manufacturer.

It could sound like a cap, but which style is hard to say. The narrow and close fit doesn't sound like a newsboy ... could be a dockbill(?) Try to find a picture on the web. That would let us know, what we are talking about :)

reeks1

One of the Regulars
Did some research...duckbill cap is what it is. Good call!
So, who makes good ones? I'm waiting on a Aero leather jacket and need a quality chapeau to match.
Thanks.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Al's Attire in San Francisco
Does bespoke duckbill caps
Around 90 bucks more or less
But nice work & best materials

Oh
Simonds made a few of the duckbill caps as well

Last edited:

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Does Al's do them via internet/phone order? I'm on the East Coast.
Thanks.
reeks
Sorry I could not see your location on the mobile version
No internet but if you know your size you can call
But since Al's Is a tailor shop you would get better results in person
Al's does has a huge selection of ready made caps in the shop
But he does not have a website

But Simonds is good for internet orders as that is his
Specialty & he does the Duckbills

Stuffsmith

Fedora Lounge Artisan
Reeks - Barry is a great guy to deal with. you can find his Simonds Bespoke Caps thread in the Merchants section of the lounge...

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Bert: If it weren't for the ears, you could have fooled me! That little feller in the center sports the same "Uh-uhh ... they're-photographing-my-cap" smile ;)

caps_on_kids.jpg

Last edited:

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
Not to hijack the thread (especially when I haven't posted in ages), but does anyone know who made the caps for Bookster? I was all ready to buy a new one for the season, only to discover they'd gone out of business.

I myself always thought their descriptions seemed uncannily similar to Lawrence & Foster, but they're in Yorkshire, which seems a bit far afield for a business in the West Midlands to be farming out production. Plus, while they'll make a cap in any cloth you provide, their own options are rather limited....

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Not to hijack the thread (especially when I haven't posted in ages), but does anyone know who made the caps for Bookster?

Don't worry, you aren't hijacking the thread. That's exactly the sort of question it's here for.

I don't know for sure but Mears made clothes for Bookster and they also make caps

So contact them: enquiries@mearsjackets.com

I'm sure they will help you. I contacted them to see if they make trousers and they put me in touch with the company that made trousers for Bookster. So i'm sure they will be very helpful.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Retro Sport
New cap from the ebay seller in Paris mamieblueparis
I have 9 from her I bought over a year ago
This is a newer version from those & has a buttoned belt & nicer lining no leather sweat but well sewn grosgrain
fuller body too & I really like the way the brim pops
I had it a month now & its holding up well
I like this version a lot more than the prior caps though they are nice

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv8%3C5%3A%3Dot%3E7%3A77%3D487%3D34%3B%3DXROQDF%3E27%3A3999%3A7525%3Aot1lsi
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv8866%3Dot%3E7%3A77%3D487%3D34%3B%3DXROQDF%3E27%3A3999%3A7725%3Aot1lsi
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv%3A%3B34%3Dot%3E7%3A77%3D487%3D34%3B%3DXROQDF%3E27%3A3999%3A7825%3Aot1lsi
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv8653%3Dot%3E7%3A77%3D487%3D34%3B%3DXROQDF%3E27%3A3999%3A7925%3Aot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv8%3C33%3Dot%3E7%3A77%3D487%3D34%3B%3DXROQDF%3E27%3A3999%3A7425%3Aot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv5746%3Dot%3E7%3A77%3D487%3D34%3B%3DXROQDF%3E27%3A3999%3A6925%3Aot1lsi

hey I look like the Turkey I had the other day in the side pic,, oh well :cool:

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Hi Dale
its new production but hand made small batch not factory only the ebayer mamieblueparis has em
about a year + ago a few loungers bought some of these
Johnny J & Ed I think
the seller sent me a note with the cap Thanking for the suggestions leading to the production of this newer cut
Johnny & I were asking her to ad this & that & here it is less the Leather sweat but this grosgrain holds up well
Nicer fabric as well
on ebay she has the older caps still as well,

nice 8 point French style

Last edited:

jhe888

One of the Regulars
I have a cashmere tweed cap with a grosgrain ribbon sweatband. The band is a little dirty and could use a washing. The cap is more than 25 years old, but in excellent shape except for the sweatband dirt. Should I wash it? I am thinking Woolite and cold water and a hand wash in the sink. Is that right? Is there some other technique? Should I just leave it alone?

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
I don't know for sure but Mears made clothes for Bookster and they also make caps

So contact them: enquiries@mearsjackets.com

I'm sure they will help you. I contacted them to see if they make trousers and they put me in touch with the company that made trousers for Bookster. So i'm sure they will be very helpful.
Thank you for the link. It definitely seems as though Bookster had caps made through them... although, as the page itself suggests, it appears that Mears themselves have their caps made by someone else. As it so happens, their cap style examples happen to use the exact same images as those on Lawrence & Foster's site, and also use the same names for the styles (although what Mears calls the "Countryman" is actually the "Helmsley" per Lawrence & Foster). Either Mears use them, or perhaps both contract the work out to a (third) third party?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo