Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cavanagh Club

Here is that hat
IMG_40142.jpg

Thanks for sharing the photos. You are likely right that the hat has been resized at some point in its life, which would require the addition of approximately 3/4" at the perimeter and hence, a new sweatband. I also think the ribbon is a replacement. The iconic Cavanagh bow has a single center panel and a frayed rear edge as seen in FedOregon's photo. It's a nice looking hat - I hope you enjoy wearing it.

Certainly not. The thirty dollar hat clearly has its impressive pedigree imprinted on the sweatband. Others do not. I have owned a small number of Cavanagh hats. Our reference to all things Cavanagh comes from The Hatted Professor. Definitely worth spending some time reading there.
I have him on speed dial. This is what I find with the lesser priced Cav Stingy, no name, just Cavanagh Edge. I was kidding about it being a fake. There is no way to fake that buttery felt.

ptjoe

Familiar Face
Great threads on Cavanagh hats!!!
I just purchased a Cavanagh Thirty -Five in Willow, which hasn't arrived yet.
What does the Thirty Five represent?
What is the quality of this hat?
I paid $90.00 bucks on Ebay? good , bad, or just about right? LOL!!!
I'll post some pictures when it arrives
Thanks for your responses

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
35 would be the price that it was originally

difficult to determine the quality until knowing the era and seeing photos

cav. made great hats

Thirty Five was the price point for the hat at the time it was sold ($35). Cavanagh made fine hats; this is undoubtedly a 1960s Cavanagh produced by the Hat Corporation of America. Here is a site to help you further date the production of your hat. The eBay seller has been around for a while and sells some decent hats at competitive prices. I've purchased from him before. I see you talked him down from the BIN price. If you're happy with the price you paid, it's about right! Post pics when you get it.

Thirty Five was the price point for the hat at the time it was sold ($35). Cavanagh made fine hats; this is undoubtedly a 1960s Cavanagh produced by the Hat Corporation of America. Here is a site to help you further date the production of your hat. The eBay seller has been around for a while and sells some decent hats at competitive prices. I've purchased from him before. I see you talked him down from the BIN price. If you're happy with the price you paid, it's about right! Post pics when you get it.
+1

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I like my wife's Cavanagh and wouldn't hesitate to pay $90 for one that was my size. Her hat is, I think, a late 50's hat and if the felt on your hat is anything like the felt on her Cavanagh I'd say you did well as long as other items of quality are in good shape.

40Cal

One Too Many
My new Cavanagh. I have gathered from reading through this thread and The Proffessor's website and another thread on Cav liner dating , that my hat is probably late 1930's to early 1940's. The Park Ave. address on the logo gave me a window of 1936 to 1950. The sweatband narrowed it further. It is a Carter removable sweat.... Cavanagh only used these for a very short time . Just a couple years into the 1940's.
Here's the hat!
IMG_3896.JPG
IMG_3897.JPG
IMG_3898.JPG
IMG_3899.JPG
IMG_3900.JPG
IMG_3901.JPG
IMG_3902.JPG
IMG_3903.JPG
IMG_3904.JPG

My new Cavanagh. I have gathered from reading through this thread and The Proffessor's website and another thread on Cav liner dating , that my hat is probably late 1930's to early 1940's. The Park Ave. address on the logo gave me a window of 1936 to 1950. The sweatband narrowed it further. It is a Carter removable sweat.... Cavanagh only used these for a very short time . Just a couple years into the 1940's.
Here's the hat!
View attachment 83629 View attachment 83630 View attachment 83631 View attachment 83632 View attachment 83633 View attachment 83634 View attachment 83635 View attachment 83636 View attachment 83637
Wow, this is a museum piece! Love the color and ribbon Robert, money!

KarlCrow

One Too Many
Here's the hat!
View attachment 83629 View attachment 83630 View attachment 83631 View attachment 83632 View attachment 83633 View attachment 83634 View attachment 83635 View attachment 83636 View attachment 83637

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Here's the hat!
I'm actually speechless...

Here's the hat!
Insanely beautiful, Robert!! Every detail!
Wear it in good health.
Beatiful...

Here's the hat!

Boy, that's a beaut!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy