Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

the changes in foods since your childhood? doesnt taste the same as it use to?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Dr. Pepper has always struck me as the Southern equivalent of Moxie -- either you really really like it, or you absolutely can't stomach the stuff.

As far as I know, nobody has ever consumed hot Moxie. I even have a sign on our refrigerator at work warning that our stock of Moxie must be kept refrigerated at all times, because warm Moxie is like drinking cough syrup.

green papaya

One Too Many
I remember as a kid, a lot of the old people would poor their Dr Pepper into a sauce pan and put it on a burner, then drink it hot. Does any one here do that? I personal hatted it as a kid, but who knows, I night like it now.

my mother used to do that with Coke a Cola, when I was sick, kind of like home made cough medicine, I also remember getting rootbeer flavored cough medicine out of a bottle.

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
My grandmother would mix lots of water in the orange juice & add sugar.
I do it today because it reminds me of the good times when everyone would
sit at the table for lunch. Also I enjoy the watered down flavor.

One thing I hate is potato & eggs or baloney & eggs that my mother would fix
for dinner most of the time. I never complained & I ate it. But to this day, I can't
eat it. I feel the same about the wild taste in deer, rabbit or liver ...:mad:

Btw: My mother would say that hot Dr. Pepper tasted like "prune juice" !

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
my mother used to do that with Coke a Cola, when I was sick, kind of like home made cough medicine, I also remember getting rootbeer flavored cough medicine out of a bottle.

When I was a kid they had upset stomach medicine that tasted like flat thick Coca-Cola. It did it's job every time.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
One thing I hate is potato & eggs or baloney & eggs that my mother would fix
for dinner most of the time. I never complained & I ate it. But to this day, I can't
eat it.

I loved baloney & egg cups when I was a kid! the real treat was substituting lebanon for the baloney. :hungry:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
When I was a kid they had upset stomach medicine that tasted like flat thick Coca-Cola. It did it's job every time.

That was actual Coca-Cola syrup, the stuff they mix with soda water to make the actual drink. My childhood doctor used to prescribe it for colicky babies all the time -- you'd go up to the drugstore and the pharmacist would pump it directly out of the soda fountain into a little brown bottle. You'd take it by the tablespoonful, and it did the job well.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
When you fry a slice of baloney it shrinks up around the edges into a cup or bowl shape. You can drop an egg into it to make a baloney egg cup.

Lebanon Baloney comes from the Lebanon Pennsylvania area. Aside from being a meat sausage, has nothing in common with the mass-market standardized version of baloney sold throughout North America: it just ended up with the same name. It is better compared with German salamis.

Lebanon Baloney is a dark maroon coloured, semi-coarse, semi-dry luncheon meat with a tangy, spicy taste. You can see flecks of spices, and larger flecks of white fat in it.

Old school baloney egg cups recipe

http://cakercooking.blogspot.ca/2013/08/eggs-in-bologna-cups.html

The site itself it pretty funny, featuring 'mangiacake' recipes mostly gleaned from recipe books published by small town Canadian ladies auxiliaries and insane asylums.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael