Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The classic flannel-shirts, I am amazed!

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Superfluous, I have owned that RJB flannel, own that blue FH/glory park flannel, and have preordered the orange/black Flat Head since they remade it this winter, and it should be coming soon. Fantastic choices.

Good eye Benj. Thanks.

Enjoy it, then! I'd rather have a paid up mortgage, to quote Dave Ramsey! We all must pick our vices...

Most normal folks think our obsession with outerwear is entirely irrational, and make the same observation in relationship to the amounts that we spend on jackets. Flannel shirts are no different. To each his own.

Benj

One of the Regulars
I always think it's funny that members can have a couple very nice leather jackets, but be completely lacking in the denim, flannel, tee department. You'd think that there'd be more of a crossover in the pursuit of high quality clothing...

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
It's a mystery that some people can't see that one $135 shirt is cheaper than 5 or 10 $40 shirts. There are posters on here that are still wearing Pendleton shirts their fathers bought.

It's a mystery that some people can't see that one $135 shirt is cheaper than 5 or 10 $40 shirts. There are posters on here that are still wearing Pendleton shirts their fathers bought.

That's true for most gear. However, the question is, would you buy a $300+ shirt, or get yourself say 5 good shirts? For me, having a selection of shirts is better than one killer shirt. I don't feel the same about boots or jeans or jackets though.
I could wear the same jeans, boots and jacket and just change a shirt and people would not notice. Wear the same shirt two days in a row and you get looked at funny ;)
In general tho - quality over quantity!

HPA Rep

Vendor
I always think it's funny that members can have a couple very nice leather jackets, but be completely lacking in the denim, flannel, tee department. You'd think that there'd be more of a crossover in the pursuit of high quality clothing...

I couldn't agree more. But to each their own, and we all have our passions and dispassions that others cannot quite get.

HPA Rep

Vendor
I saw several vintage Pendletons yesterday on Melrose. I personally prefer cotton flannels -- wool is too warm for my climate and less comfortable against the skin.

We have twelve new all-cotton, flannel-twill shirts this fall from Sugar Cane in various weights and patterns and colors, plus two awesome indigo-dyed corduroys. The Warmth Series from the Fiction & Romance Collection is absolutely amazing, and even among the standard offerings we can fit a 44" chest in many styles, and in the corduroys, 46" - 48", which is a FIRST for this brand since we had some custom denim shirts made in 2004.

I love the red check with navy blue buttons, the navy asymmetric-pocket shirt with red buttons, or any Fiction & Romance with genuine marble buttons.

I've posted below several of my faves, but all of them are great and you should be able to find something you like due to the diversity of styles, fabrics, prints, and prices:

Sugar-Cane-Dense-Twill-Check-Shirt-Vintage-Red-SC27059-165-front.jpg

Sugar-Cane-Fiction-&-Romance-Heavy-Weight-Plaid-Shirt-SC27118A-128-Navy-front.jpg

Sugar Cane Indigo-Dyed Flannel Check Shirt, Red SC27104_165 fr.jpg

SC Flannel Charcoal fr.jpg

Sugar-Cane-Fiction-&-Romance-Heavy-Weight-Plaid-Shirt-SC27118A-145-Green-front.jpg

Sugar Cane Indigo-Dyed Corduroy Shirt, Light Blue SC27101-124  fr.jpg

Sugar-Cane-Dense-Twill-Check-Shirt-SC27063-165-Red-front.jpg

We have twelve new all-cotton, flannel-twill shirts this fall from Sugar Cane in various weights and patterns and colors, plus two awesome indigo-dyed corduroys. The Warmth Series from the Fiction & Romance Collection is absolutely amazing, and even among the standard offerings we can fit a 44" chest in many styles, and in the corduroys, 46" - 48", which is a FIRST for this brand since we had some custom denim shirts made in 2004."

@HPA Rep - Are these "48" measured as 48" or more like 52" so someone who IS a 48 can wear one? Nice looking shirts...

Last edited:

HPA Rep

Vendor
Great stuff, Charlie; very impressed with the line!! Why is shipping so much, though?

It's flat-rate UPS Ground insured to any zip code in the lower 48. UPS & Fed Ex began charging volumetric rates at the beginning of the year, so Ground now bills in the same manner as Air and as USPS Priority to about half the USA zip codes. We eschew shipping via USPS for a myriad of reasons - there's no comparison to the quality and reliability of service and insurance between USPS and UPS, with all possible attendant issues that can be dreamed of being handled better and more efficiently and quickly by UPS.

HPA Rep

Vendor
Are these "48" measured as 48" or more like 52" so someone who IS a 48 can wear one? Nice looking shirts...

Thank you. All measures are listed under the PRODUCT MEASUREMENTS tab on each product page. The largest of the shirts has a pit-to-pit measure of 25", which for our customers will fit either a 46" or 48" chest measure depending if they prefer 4" or 2" of ease.

Thank you. All measures are listed under the PRODUCT MEASUREMENTS tab on each product page. The largest of the shirts has a pit-to-pit measure of 25", which for our customers will fit either a 46" or 48" chest measure depending if they prefer 4" or 2" of ease.

Thanks. That's too bad, I'd love to try one of those...but I need a 26" P2P number.

HPA Rep

Vendor
Great stuff, Charlie; very impressed with the line!! Why is shipping so much, though?

I should add that with combined shipping, 3 shirts in the same box ship for that same rate listed on each shirt page, but if, say, a Buzz Rickson's hoodie is added to a three-shirt order, the next box size would be needed and that would up the shipping cost due to the box dimensions, though the cost per item to ship would still be good.

HPA Rep

Vendor
Thanks. That's too bad, I'd love to try one of those...but I need a 26" P2P number.

I'm sorry about that. We had some Buzz Rickson's shirts a few years ago made up that could have fit you but they were just too slow to sell. Maybe we'll try some Sugar Cane in that measure next season, though. Food for thought ...

I'm so confused... On the UPS web page listing ground fees from zone 2, (your zone) there is nothing listed much over $15. That would mean the insurance is adding about $10-12? We always ship hats around the country for less. And if you are receiving a quantity discount from UPS, that's even more confusing...

HPA Rep

Vendor
I'm so confused... On the UPS web page listing ground fees from zone 2, (your zone) there is nothing listed much over $15. That would mean the insurance is adding about $10-12? We always ship hats around the country for less. And if you are receiving a quantity discount from UPS, that's even more confusing...

As I stated, the rate is for every zip code in the lower 48, so that includes those w/ a delivery-area surcharge, and it includes up to $400 in insurance. And the ever-changing fuel surcharge. And since you have no idea what size box we're shipping in to derive the rate, you would have no clue what the dim. weight is nor the resultant rate.

Flat-rate shipping is what USPS does w/ their Priority boxes, where it's the same no matter what fits in the box to any zip code, which means some folks are paying more and some are paying less in order for USPS to make a profit no matter what zip it ships to.

The rates are what they are and were very carefully calculated based on all known scenarios developed over the course of 26 years shipping thousands of packages. I've explained the rationale and logic to the rates and this Q & A debate is now closed. If you think you know best how to calculate rates that are less costly to the end user and still preclude us from losing money in shipping & insurance, then you are welcome to purchase HPA from me and I'll move on to something else. Cash only, please. Thank you.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats