Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"The Cockpit" Mil Spec G1… one week old but water-vintaged…with pics

JanSolo

Practically Family
It’s the old spray bottle trick again! This time used on a brand new Mil Spec G1 made by the Cockpit (formerly Avirex). When the jacket arrived I was impressed by how well it was made…
….Although it’s certainly not up to the same degree of quality or as heavy as an Aero M422a or its Eastman or Real McCoy counterpart. But nevertheless it is a neatly put together jacket with thick and even goatskin, genuine mouton collar, strong lining and precise stitching. It is as good if not better than any US Wings or Cooper G1 I’ve seen and as well made as the Gibson&Barnes I used to own a couple of years ago. Plus the fit on this jacket is trimmer than on any of my previous jackets without being too restrictive.

6641612755_a9dbaa6016_z.jpg

As I’ve said before the first impression upon arrival was very good but not “super duper”. The goatskin shell looked dead without much grain variation and the leather (although of decent weight and thickness) felt a bit too floppy. This could have been due to overprocessing i.e. too much fat stuffed into the leather and too much tumbling. Also one should not forget that this is not the high quality stiff veg tanned goat Aero uses but sort of a mass produced mil spec chrome tanned goatskin….

Anyway, to cut the long story short:

• Spray bottle filled with boiling hot water with a bit of detergent for better penetration of the hide
• Evenly misted the ENTIRE jacket including collar and lining
• Did that 4 times until the jacket weighed 3 tons
• Shaped pockets, throat latch and collar. Rolled and kneaded the whole jacket for 5 minutes.
• Put it on a wide hanger and left it to air dry in a heated room over night
• After it was fully dry two layers of leather conditioner were applied
• Job done !

The jacket was purchased from www.original-flightjackets.com and I have received a sterling service from placing the order on to receiving the jacket two days later. I can highly recommend them!

6641564845_6a9801f105_z.jpg

6641576941_a05725cc3a_z.jpg

6641589347_a0bf24fecb_z.jpg

6641600131_a2469a5b3a_z.jpg

As you can see the jacket has changed quite a bit. The mouton looks very much worn in. The pockets look better. The grain is very irregular now displaying the true nature of goatskin. This was all done without doing any harm to the jacket or the top stitching…No sanding, no solvents, no washing machine!
Yet the effect is quite dramatic and the jacket looks like it’s been on my back for quite a while.

Here are some more pictures:

6641636505_d6d8dfde24_z.jpg

6641624211_82b9e50bdb_z.jpg

It's too cold for more pics!

6641648707_8c5ab24a46_z.jpg

I'm going in!

Last edited:
Looks great Jan! I too love my USWings G-1 and A-2. OF course not up to the custom brands, but strangely two of my favorite jackets. I might have a go at my G-1 like you did to see how it comes out. I actually think the goat on the USW G-1 is dang nice. And I've seen/owned enough Avirex/Cockpit to say while most are cut too wide, they're good coats for off the rack numbers. And if you get them on sale, you can't beat them.

kojax

Practically Family
i have the cockpit g1 vintage goatskin jacket it feels broken in all ready. nice jacket easy to wear

JanSolo

Practically Family
Thanks, everybody!

HD, yes the collar is genuine mouton which used to be super smooth beaver lamb prior to "felting". It's still soft and cosy but much more curly and the shine is gone. I prefer it that way because it gives a more rugged and worn-in look. I'm not sure if this effect could reversed by wetting and brushing the fur...

This is how the jacket and collar looked upon arrival a couple of days ago... (pics taken from www.original-flightjackets.com )

20_1.jpg

I like the jacket. It's a nice and comfortable jacket and not a safe queen like my BR Werber B2.

Last edited:

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
I have heard that "The Cockpit" picked up the contract for supplying G-1s to the Navy, but I have yet to see an issued one in the fleet. I have seen a few guys that have privately purchased them. They are nice looking jackets and all reviews from the owners are good.

JanSolo

Practically Family
I've heard the same. But I'm sure that the issued ones don't have a real mouton collar. It will be the ubiquitous acrylic pile shit that can be found on many recent models. But I'm glad that The Cockpit refuses to make G1s from that infamous cowhide with embossed goatskin grain...

Last edited:

mrc

Familiar Face
If I was ever going to own a flight jacket, I had always wanted a G1. I'm not a flight jacket buff, so I never really knew what I should look for with the G1s.

I really do like this jacket though, and it looks great on you! As usual, great photos!

BTW, great redlines...!

Dave E

One of the Regulars
Pretty good result, that!

(I keep thinking I should do something to my Wested Indy jacket to break it in a bit more, I'm tempted to give this a go as it's non-destructive.)

JanSolo

Practically Family
Thanks MRC and Dave! The pics give a totally wrong impression of the weather. When I took the photos it was very cold and very windy which doesn't show.

Not sure if this method works on a Wested because years ago they used to use a strange Goatskin which had a felt backing glued to it to give it greater thickness. Check the leather backing of the pocket flaps. Can you see any whites threads coming out on the edges?

Dave E

One of the Regulars
Thanks MRC and Dave! The pics give a totally wrong impression of the weather. When I took the photos it was very cold and very windy which doesn't show.

Not sure if this method works on a Wested because years ago they used to use a strange Goatskin which had a felt backing glued to it to give it greater thickness. Check the leather backing of the pocket flaps. Can you see any whites threads coming out on the edges?

That'll teach me not to think before posting, my Wested is a cowskin, not goat!

BUTTE/Scott, looking foward to your pictures!

Jan: Mine shrunk a bit. I have to see if I can dampen/treat (Pecards) and get a little more length back in the arms. It didn't stiffen up too much, but I think the Pecards will take care of it...I'll do it this weekend as it's supposed to be warm and sunny out.

subject101

One of the Regulars
Hey Jan, great jacket :) Did you order from the German shop or from the USA? I ask because I'm interested in a Cockpit too but I'm currently in Europe.

Hey Jan, great jacket :) Did you order from the German shop or from the USA? I ask because I'm interested in a Cockpit too but I'm currently in Europe.

Put 'er in the sun, heated 'er up, and applied Pecards. I'll let it sit a while longer, wipe it down, and take some pics. I think it's OK now...

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
Jan, aren't you "slumming it" a bit with a non-custom jacket? What gives?

(It makes me feel better that I just bought one myself... It's in the mail!)

Jan, aren't you "slumming it" a bit with a non-custom jacket? What gives?

(It makes me feel better that I just bought one myself... It's in the mail!)

Oddly, some of my "beaters" are my favorites. Probably because they're comfortable and you're not worried every minute about losing, scratching, staining them. And if you get a good deal on a less-than top-shelf jacket, all the better.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Very well put Butte!
Jan I am glad to see The Cockpit getting some good feedback. They make a great jacket.
Yours looks great, better looking in a 38 than a 46 short.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav