Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's a labor of love I just finished. It's a winchester western beaver felt that I have worked into a wide brim thin ribbon style hat. Brim is 3 1/2. Lots of sanding to get to this state and managed to stay away from the shellac core so I am pretty happy about that and pleased overall with results. Color is silverbelly w/vintage 1/2 silverbelly ribbon. Brim edge is chamfered on both sides. i wanted a flat brim with a slight arc so it has a nice profile to it when wearing.

Last edited:

bond

Thanks everyone for comments. Appreciate the feedback.
Roger I finished sanded overall w 400 grit . But there are several steps that I go beyond sanding to finish the felt and kind of want to keep those my trade secrets as I experimented with lots of trial and error to finally come up with the final result.
Lastly I finished a liner I like better than the stand in so here that is . It's in Pewter color silk. Also here's shot of ribbon
Cheers

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
....I own and occasionally wear a few hats with 3 1/2" and larger brims. My lady friend calls them "statement" hats.

I have one of those "statement" hats too. Although she's not really my lady friend, my wife always makes the statement, "You're not wearing that hat to the store with me are you?"

What's wrong with it? (Except that it's Silverbelly. I'm getting tired of that color).

This is one I already posted a few times before. I'm actually wearing this hat today. I converted it from an unknown Western brand. Just the store name appears on the liner.

Texas_Fedora_01.jpg

Texas_Fedora_02.jpg

Texas_Fedora_03.jpg

humanshoes

One Too Many
I do like that silverbelly TJ! DSC00895.jpg Here's one of my statement hats that I bought to convert, but it was so "magnificent in it's proportions" that I couldn't bring myself to put it under the knife. It remains unconverted and unapologetic.

bond

This is a older beaver blend felt I bought on ebay and was quite in rough shape, dirty and unblocked, not to mention more of a thicker western weight. I managed to tame it into this conservative wide brim(3 1/4) by pouncing it much thinner and blocking it to a 7 1/2. Felt has a very nice hand to it similar to a vintage Stetson 3x . Has a great natural silverbelly color to it that I like .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy