Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

jswindle2

One of the Regulars
I got my new hat for my next conversion today. I had my doubts if it would turn out the way I hoped but so far it is working out dandy. Don't let the ungodly ugliness of it and the thick brim fool you this is a good hat. Here's a pic.By the way,the trimmer worked out great.
new con3.jpg

humanshoes

One Too Many
Gary's Big Hat.jpg
Gary's Big Hat 2.jpg
This one is not really a conversion, per se, but my father recently picked up a hat for free at a local yard sale. No sweatband or liner or any identifying markings, but likely an old Stetson or Resistol. It was dirty and stained beyond redemption and my mother said she wouldn't allow it in her house so, of course, I ended up with it. Dad said he didn't want it cleaned up too much or the brim trimmed at all as he wanted a distressed look with a very wide brim. No problem with the dirty part, even after a gas bath and lots of elbow grease, much of the "character" remains, and, although the brim edge is kind of ragged, I left it as is. He wanted a Gus style bash and side brim curl so this is what we ended up with. Mother may allow it in the house now, but somebody's gonna need a bigger closet.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
a beautiful conversion done for me by the one and only DOGMAN himself

Chuck outdid himself on this one and it came out better than I could have ever imagined

all the way down to his custom liner ... could not be happier

what was once this

IMG_1548.jpg

became this

conversion_no_bow.jpg

and then this ... affectionately titled by Chuck himself ... "The Moon Dog"

I LOVE IT !!!

conversion_1.jpg

conversion_2.jpg

conversion_3.jpg

conversion_4.jpg

conversion_5.jpg

conversion_6.jpg

Last edited:

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
[This one is not really a conversion, per se, but my father recently picked up a hat for free at a local yard sale. No sweatband or liner or any identifying markings, but likely an old Stetson or Resistol. It was dirty and stained beyond redemption and my mother said she wouldn't allow it in her house so, of course, I ended up with it. Dad said he didn't want it cleaned up too much or the brim trimmed at all as he wanted a distressed look with a very wide brim. No problem with the dirty part, even after a gas bath and lots of elbow grease, much of the "character" remains, and, although the brim edge is kind of ragged, I left it as is. He wanted a Gus style bash and side brim curl so this is what we ended up with. Mother may allow it in the house now, but somebody's gonna need a bigger closet.
The big closet I understand... mine is almost surrounded with boxes with hats!
Nice work there. How wide is that brim?

humanshoes

One Too Many
The big closet I understand... mine is almost surrounded with boxes with hats!
Nice work there. How wide is that brim?
A little over 4 3/4" on the brim. I really wanted to trim about a quarter inch off to take care of the raggedy bits, but old pop wasn't having any of it. It looks more like a sombrero to me, but at 85, I guess he's earned the right to get what he wants.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
That is one fine conversion as usual DOGMAN. The first thing that came to my mind was spats. Do you have spats moontheloon?

spats ?... like for footwear ?

I actually have a pair that is like 95 years old... but I don't wear them :)

if that's even what you meant

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
PART 1

Here’s a western conversion that I finished about 6 months ago, but realized I never posted.

The hat was originally a modern 90’s-2000’s Stetson long hair cowboy hat. Same exact hat as the Resistol Panda (both made by Hatco) Most definitely a long hair rabbit/wild hare blend.

I disassembled the hat and proceeded to block the hat body on the straightest block that I own. Its a 6 inch tall Greaco block

I then cut the brim to 2 3/8 inches wide with a vintage rounding jack.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
PART 2

The next step was to flange the brim. I used a flange that reminded me of 19-teens hats. It has a very flat top and a high cup.

I then cut the sweatband to fit, taped the rear seem like pre-1930’s hat makers did, and laced the rear section of the sweatband after I measured and hand stamped the lace holes.

I also decided to make my own fancy rear sweatband bow by hand

Here’s the hat after flanging, brushing, and blocking….

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
PART 3

I decided to make a bow that I’ve seen in several pre-1920 ads. It has a left hand and right hand fray with a center twist.

Here’s the hat after the sweatband and ribbon was installed. it was basically finished at this point but wasn’t yet creased…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo