Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

Xylophile

One of the Regulars
Hi All,
I had an idea about these two hats- could a fed 4 be turned into the homburg-like hat? Seems like one might alter the brim appropriately and put the kettle curl on, shape the brim...?
Federation_IV00592.jpg watson_signature.jpg

Thanks!

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Depending on the width of the curl, it could easily take up the good part of an inch - especially on the sides. If that will be satisfactory is up to you :)

I don't know where you live, but I know Mike Moore at Buckaroo Hatters do a lot of brim curling. He lives in Covington close to Memphis TN. He's a really nice guy and does great work.

Last edited:

Xylophile

One of the Regulars
Depending on the width of the curl, it could easily take up the good part of an inch - especially on the sides. If that will be satisfactory is up to you :)

I don't know where you live, but I know Mike Moore at Buckaroo Hatters do a lot of brim curling. He lives in Covington close to Memphis TN. He's a really nice guy and does great work.
Thanks, I'm in the Shenandoah Valley of VA, so it would be easy to ship. I'm surprised it takes up so much brim! Just kind of curious really.

I'm surprised it takes up so much brim! Just kind of curious really.

A great question for Pi Day. To take flat felt and curl it into a pipe of 1/2" diameter would take more than 1.5" of brim. You won't make a full cylinder of course, the brim length needed will be reduced by the profile of the curve in the roll. Half a cylinder with a 1/2" diameter will need 3/4" of brim. And so forth.

Xylophile

One of the Regulars
A great question for Pi Day. To take flat felt and curl it into a pipe of 1/2" diameter would take more than 1.5" of brim. You won't make a full cylinder of course, the brim length needed will be reduced by the profile of the curve in the roll. Half a cylinder with a 1/2" diameter will need 3/4" of brim. And so forth.
You fellers is smart!

DOGMAN

One Too Many
Thanks,Mm25.That reminds me of something my mother once told me.I was very young and in trouble for something.My Mom told me that I said to her.Mom,I'm not perfect,but I am unique.I think I still live by that motto.

Wesslyn

Practically Family
s-l1600.jpg

Before: Scooped up this hat (sort've, this picture is from ebay, but it's the same) for a dollar from a local thrift store. Stetson Gun Club. Never a fan of braids, and the brim was way too wide (3 1/4 inches) so, away to work I went...

6KmtAdV.jpg

After: 2 1/2 inch brim, a slightly "better" bash, and a ribbon from an old 40s boater that I had which was falling apart. Figured I could put at least some life back in part of it!
The lighting in the pic is garbage, but the ribbon is a nice dark blue that gleams a little brown in the light. Very cool.

RJR

s-l1600.jpg

Before: Scooped up this hat (sort've, this picture is from ebay, but it's the same) for a dollar from a local thrift store. Stetson Gun Club. Never a fan of braids, and the brim was way too wide (3 1/4 inches) so, away to work I went...

6KmtAdV.jpg

After: 2 1/2 inch brim, a slightly "better" bash, and a ribbon from an old 40s boater that I had which was falling apart. Figured I could put at least some life back in part of it!
The lighting in the pic is garbage, but the ribbon is a nice dark blue that gleams a little brown in the light. Very cool.
Nice job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW