Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Thank you buddy.
Very nice ribbon, and save on that Stage Coach. You've probably posted it before, but what are the dimension you use for your conversions. By it self, the hat almost looks too tall to me (as if that is even possible), but when you put it on your head, brother, it looks fantastic... just like it was made for you! :D

That's also quite a stretch to go from 6-7/8 up to ??? Good to know a hat can be saved like that. I have a few oldies that could use some work but have exactly zero blocks or other tools at this point. But this is something I would like to get into, eventually.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Very nice ribbon, and save on that Stage Coach. You've probably posted it before, but what are the dimension you use for your conversions. By it self, the hat almost looks too tall to me (as if that is even possible), but when you put it on your head, brother, it looks fantastic... just like it was made for you! :D

That's also quite a stretch to go from 6-7/8 up to ??? Good to know a hat can be saved like that. I have a few oldies that could use some work but have exactly zero blocks or other tools at this point. But this is something I would like to get into, eventually.
Thanks, Fed. The block I used was straight sided . 23 x 5.5 inches. It's creased in a tear drop to 4 7/8 inches at the pinch with a rake sloping to 4 1/4 at the the back. I have two more blocks at 5 3/4 tall which I prefer over 5 1/2 block. I went with that one to get a little wider brim from sizing up.
Lack of tools and no $$$ to buy them keeps me from doing more

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
This unknown western brand is one of my very first attempts at trying to convert a hat. I had the brim all whopper jawed when I first tried to trim it so I put it in a plastic bag and tucked it away. I ran across it again a couple of days ago and thought I'd make another go at it. After reblocking it on a straight sided 5.5 tall block I was able to manage to get 2 1/2 inches out of the brim. It's just barely off in a couple of spots but not all that noticeable unless you're actually looking for it. So, second attempt converting it coming up. Two things I don't like about the hat, though. I don't care much for a fedora brim under 2 5/8 inches wide....and I'm bored to death with Silverbelly. To me, Black and Silverbelly are two colors that's hard to trim out unless you go with ribbons of the same hat colors. Anything else, I think, makes the colors pop too much and then you're limited to what attire you can wear the hats with. When I do a hat in either black or silverbelly I try to find a ribbon of that particular hat color or one with a color that is fairly muted. I like to wear my hats with casual attire so I don't want anything too showy. With silverbelly and black, the more muted the ribbon color, the better. But that's just my personal taste, though. Some people like hats with nice showy colors that pop and there's definitely nothing wrong with that. So, basically, I guess, there's no real right or wrong in the color choice and trim work. It all boils down to personal taste. But, with that said, I think I can do something with this hat and make it look nice.

On the block
IMG_20170806_073115750_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
This unknown western brand is one of my very first attempts at trying to convert a hat. I had the brim all whopper jawed when I first tried to trim it so I put it in a plastic bag and tucked it away. I ran across it again a couple of days ago and thought I'd make another go at it. After reblocking it on a straight sided 5.5 tall block I was able to manage to get 2 1/2 inches out of the brim. It's just barely off in a couple of spots but not all that noticeable unless you're actually looking for it. So, second attempt converting it coming up. Two things I don't like about the hat, though. I don't care much for a fedora brim under 2 5/8 inches wide....and I'm bored to death with Silverbelly. To me, Black and Silverbelly are two colors that's hard to trim out unless you go with ribbons of the same hat colors. Anything else, I think, makes the colors pop too much and then you're limited to what attire you can wear the hats with. When I do a hat in either black or silverbelly I try to find a ribbon of that particular hat color or one with a color that is fairly muted. I like to wear my hats with casual attire so I don't want anything too showy. With silverbelly and black, the more muted the ribbon color, the better. But that's just my personal taste, though. Some people like hats with nice showy colors that pop and there's definitely nothing wrong with that. So, basically, I guess, there's no real right or wrong in the color choice and trim work. It all boils down to personal taste. But, with that said, I think I can do something with this hat and make it look nice.

On the block
I'm excited and in love with silverbelly, should I send you my address? All of your conversions, no matter what color are just stupendous!

RJR

On the block
You've developed a heck of a touch on these conversions,TJ.I'm anxious to see how you trim it out.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I'm excited and in love with silverbelly, should I send you my address? All of your conversions, no matter what color are just stupendous!
Thank you, Red. I appreciate that. I'm thinking of making an OR style hat with a Cattleman's crease out of it. I went through a dry crease with one and it looks pretty darn good that way. Straight sided, too. I have a light tannish thin ribbon I may sew on it with a campaign style bow. It'll have a new sweat and I'll have to come up with a liner from somewhere. It's going to be a 7 1/4. I'm always open to entertaining some sort of trade. ;)

T Jones

I'll Lock Up

On the block
Just a little update on this unknown western hat conversion. I decided to go with a Cattleman crease and try to come up with some kind of an OR clone. The crease is already set and is drying. The new sweat is cut to size and is near ready to be sewn into the hat. I already have a thin ribbon picked out and the bow will be a campaign style bow. Here's what it looks like so far. The sweat's not in yet and the brim still needs worked. I'll have more pics when I'm finished...

IMG_20170812_122957313_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170812_122947033_HDR.jpg

Marcelle

New in Town
Just a little update on this unknown western hat conversion. I decided to go with a Cattleman crease and try to come up with some kind of an OR clone. The crease is already set and is drying. The new sweat is cut to size and is near ready to be sewn into the hat. I already have a thin ribbon picked out and the bow will be a campaign style bow. Here's what it looks like so far. The sweat's not in yet and the brim still needs worked. I'll have more pics when I'm finished...

IMG_20170812_122957313_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170812_122947033_HDR.jpg
@T Jones that is a lovely looking hat, that crease in the crown is on point! I love a cattleman crease. Makes me happy when my clients ask for that type of crown! how tall is the crown and what width is the brim?

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
@T Jones that is a lovely looking hat, that crease in the crown is on point! I love a cattleman crease. Makes me happy when my clients ask for that type of crown! how tall is the crown and what width is the brim?
Thank you, Marcelle. I appreciate that. I reblocked it on a straight sided block with a 5 1/2 tall open crown. The brim is 2 1/2 inches wide. I have a 3 ply thin ribbon I found that I'll be sewing on it with a campaign style bow. Its profile is pretty darn close to an actual OR. It's a lot nicer looking hat than the pictures show. Unfortunately it's not a style that I think looks good on me. I'll have more pictures this week when I finish it.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Post Naptha bath. I have no idea what I am doing per session, only attempting to use my judgement to move at a steady forward progression. It definitely looks cleaner up close, and I will know better once it dries.
8b4bea63bd89d23648d21ffc3f1986c9.jpg
3f24f41b9c18fec36341286cd545f600.jpg
c0b9d4816127aaba1c6bb6802119e5a5.jpg
b015f034e50b8135f7109f216ce0493a.jpg
492ea7c3254b4b337afa75a6294815cb.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
You're leaving it to dry in your bedroom?

Willebe

A-List Customer
Well ventilated with ceiling fan. I was using the Naptha bar of soap and a new horse hair shoe polish brush to work the soap in counterclockwise. It smells like dial hand soap. The label didn't say anything about fumes and flammability.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner