Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
These are some great looking conversions gentlemen! I just got word today that Art is done with my Resistol conversion. I have a black Resistol western I used to wear back in my rodeo days and had Art reshape it similar to his Uptown hat. Adding a navy blue ribbon and brim binding. I can't wait to get my mitts on it. Art was having a tough time of it with the Resistol because of the felt memory and the stiffness. The last time I had that hat reblockes by an outfit in Wyoming, they put so much stiffener in it Odd Job could have used it as a weapon.

Here's a couple of before shots with some afters coming by the end of the week.

D104.jpg

D108.jpg

Here are some shots of my Stetson reshaped by Art a while back. I think he did a fantastic job of it. It was another rodeo hat that started as a Stetson Low Places hat (similar to Garth Brook's hat) but got punched up into the before photo. A job I did myself back in the day.

IM000153.jpg

Then I had Art trim the brim & reblock the crown open & add a new ribbon. Now I can wear them again instead of letting them sit in a closet in a box.

IG031.jpg

IG023.jpg

IG026.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

Duck

Practically Family
Dan, that Stetson is absolutly beautiful :eusa_clap :eusa_clap . It has got to be the best looking conversion I have ever seen. :D :D

fatwoul

Practically Family
Duck said:
Dan, that Stetson is absolutly beautiful :eusa_clap :eusa_clap . It has got to be the best looking conversion I have ever seen. :D :D

Agreed. That really is something quite special.

Oh, and also quite reassuring, considering I have this brown resistol coming my way.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
DanielJones said:
These are some great looking conversions gentlemen! I just got word today that Art is done with my Resistol conversion. I have a black Resistol western I used to wear back in my rodeo days and had Art reshape it similar to his Uptown hat. Adding a navy blue ribbon and brim binding. I can't wait to get my mitts on it. Art was having a tough time of it with the Resistol because of the felt memory and the stiffness. The last time I had that hat reblockes by an outfit in Wyoming, they put so much stiffener in it Odd Job could have used it as a weapon.

Here's a couple of before shots with some afters coming by the end of the week.

D104.jpg

D108.jpg

Here are some shots of my Stetson reshaped by Art a while back. I think he did a fantastic job of it. It was another rodeo hat that started as a Stetson Low Places hat (similar to Garth Brook's hat) but got punched up into the before photo. A job I did myself back in the day.

IM000153.jpg

Then I had Art trim the brim & reblock the crown open & add a new ribbon. Now I can wear them again instead of letting them sit in a closet in a box.

IG031.jpg

IG023.jpg

IG026.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

That is awesome!:eusa_clap

fatwoul

Practically Family
DJ - when are you expecting the black one back from Art? Is getting hats restyled that way expensive?

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the kind comments on the Stetson. Art had reblocked it for me and added the ribbon. Then I put the Remington bash in. I still think I may monkey with the brim a little more for effect.

Fatwoul: It wasn't too expensive. I had that hat reshaped and another Knox worked on so it was wearable. With shipping it came to a grand total of $153. Art shipped them out today so I should see them by Wednesday since we're both on the west coast. Of course USPS could botch the whole thing & I won't see them until Friday. One never knows. I'll be sure to post the pics when the Resistol arrives.

Cheers!

Dan

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Daniel, If there is a prize, you have certainly taken it, "hands down." You and Art produced a winning combination in that light colored hat with the wide, light brown ribbon. Sweet, very sweet. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Why thank you JT, that is most appreciated. Art had a lot to do with it.

IndyCop: No, not yet.:( Hopefully today or tomorrow. Knowing it's on it's way is encouraging and leaving me anxious at the same time. Once I get it I will post pics, to be sure.

Cheers!

Dan

indycop

I'll Lock Up
DanielJones said:
Why thank you JT, that is most appreciated. Art had a lot to do with it.

IndyCop: No, not yet.:( Hopefully today or tomorrow. Knowing it's on it's way is encouraging and leaving me anxious at the same time. Once I get it I will post pics, to be sure.

Cheers!

Dan
you will have to go back to the submarine for comparison pics

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
But wait! There's more.

P1040156.jpg

American Hat Co. Bangora. Fur (or fur blend). 2 5/8" brim. Diamond bash, done entirely by hand. I tried several times to eliminate a slight cock to one side. I finally gave up, and decided to let it prove it was hand blocked.

P1040168AmericanHatCo.jpg

fatwoul

Practically Family
Watch out JT, you're going to have her eye out with that brim.

Love the bash on that one. This thread is good for inspiration for the hat that will hopefully be here soon.

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
J.T.Marcus said:
But wait! There's more.

American Hat Co. Bangora. Fur (or fur blend). 2 5/8" brim. Diamond bash, done entirely by hand. I tried several times to eliminate a slight cock to one side. I finally gave up, and decided to let it prove it was hand blocked.
GREAT hat, JT! Nicely done.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
I'm a fair tailor, and can sew pretty well. I did a hat edge once, and it took me 2 straight hours to sew the thing on, and while it wasn't really "hard" it was definitely unpleasant work.

fatwoul

Practically Family
Lancealot said:
J.T.: Not better, just had more time on my hands.

Hey Lancealot, what hat was that originally?

Fatdutchman said:
I'm a fair tailor, and can sew pretty well. I did a hat edge once, and it took me 2 straight hours to sew the thing on, and while it wasn't really "hard" it was definitely unpleasant work.

Right now I find resewing a headband into a hat to be sufficient challenge to my sewing skills, but I do have some black grosgrain that I think would look good as an edge bind one day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21