Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

Cattus Petasatus

One of the Regulars
Thanks. The brim started life at 3 1/4, or 3 1/2 (I don't remember.) I had the guys at Cavenders (local western store) cut it down to 2 3/4. I might have them take off another 1/8.

When I get a second I'll show you my other conversions.

DOGMAN

One Too Many
Here is the hat I did for a friend of mine.It is a Bradford western by Resistol 100% wool,brim-4 1/2",open crown-6 1/4".After conversion,brim-2 6/8"crown front-4 1/2",back-4" ribbon 1 1/2" ivory,bow with black stripe.
Sep2012009.jpg
Sep2012023.jpg
Sep2012025.jpg
Sep2012026.jpg

DOGMAN

One Too Many
Here is my next conversion.Resistol Top Rail 3x,(cordova)brown,open crown-6 1/2",brim-4".After conversion crown-front-4 3/4",back-4 3/4",sides-5 1/2",ribbon 2"black.This is my favorite conversion so far.
silverbelly2012007.jpg
Sep2012050.jpg
Sep2012048.jpg

Last edited:
Indy and the Crystal Skull!! Great job D-Man.

I see you live in NE Ohio, I am in Canton. The white house in the pic on the left looks surprisingly like my farmhouse before it was renovated.( It isn't though.)

DOGMAN

One Too Many
They are,Billy Jacobs prints.My wife and I found them at one of the flea markets down in Berlin.I too love old barns and houses.I envy you for living in old house.

They are,Billy Jacobs prints.My wife and I found them at one of the flea markets down in Berlin.I too love old barns and houses.I envy you for living in old house.

Thanks, fortunately I had a good builder who updated it nicely. It really did look like that picture beforehand.
Maybe that's why we like to give new life to old hats too.

DOGMAN

One Too Many
That could be.I really enjoy seeing the conversions that other people have done.I am haveing great fun doing and wearing my conversions.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up

Excellent!!!! I love those tall crowned Resistols. They are so versatile. I usually use Stagecoaches for my conversions because they have 6 1/4 open crowns. I reblock them with a flatter topped block, so I usually bring them down to 6 inch open crowns. The way you flanged the brim and creased the crown on this latest conversion reminds me of my conversions. I love the crease to be about 4 3/4 in front and back and the side crown height to be anywhere from 5 1/4 - 5 1/2 inches tall. This to me is the perfect conversion. Great job, Dogman!!!!

DOGMAN

One Too Many
Thanks,Joshbru3.I have to say after seeing your conversions I wanted to do a similar hat.I am happy you think it looks close to your conversions.That is a nice compliment.I really like to use the Resistol hats for my conversions,because of the tall crowns.This is my favorite conversion so far.Thanks again.

DOGMAN

One Too Many
thespoiler,thank you my friend for the compliment.All the hats I've done so far have been polyester ribbon.Not that easy to swirl or to fray the ends.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24