Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The curse of Mickey Rourke has been lifted

Naphtali

Practically Family
The presence of Mickey Rourke in a motion picture has been the kiss of death traditionally. "Splatter" action movies achieve the same result with me -- revulsion.

I watched the first "Splatter" movie -- with Mickey Rourke -- that was entertaining. Of course, I'm fudging a little here. "Man on Fire" (2004), stars Denzel Washington. And his ability has been unable to resurrect only the appalling remake of "The Manchurian Candidate. In many ways, Washington's character, and "Man on Fire's" theme, are strongly reminiscent of Charlton Heston in "The Omega Man." And both characterizations seem to me to be left-handed variations of Christ. Please note that as a Jew, my knowledge of Christ comes from motion pictures.
Bill Dolworth: Maybe there’s only one revolution … since the beginning — the good guys against the bad guys. The question is: Who are the good guys?

Wil Tam

Practically Family
sincity_wideweb__430x329.jpg

I thought he was brilliant in Sin City​

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
He was excellent in The Wrestler but my favorite role of his is Robert "Boggie" Sheftell in Diner. Hopefully many more good movies to come from now on.

carter

I'll Lock Up
His first critically recognized performance was as Teddy Lewis, the arsonist, in Body Heat (1981).
The film starred William Hurt and Kathleen Turner. Other cast members included Ted Danson as a memorable attorney and Richard Crenna. Catch this one sometime if you haven't seen it.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Marc Chevalier said:
Didn't Angel Heart do well at the box office?

Angel Heart is a very cool movie, and Mickey is great in it. The book it was based on, Falling Angel, is a great read as well. FL'ers would love it.
It didn't make much at the box office, but got most of it's attention for a nude Lisa Bonet and her "love scene" with Mr. Rourke.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff