Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dames of Beef - These ladies would...

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
fit in well here at the Lounge.

The NYTimes has an article today on a group of 12 ladies that dress in '40s and '50s vintage clothing and dine out at classic restaurants in NYC to recreate for themselves the Golden Era. The call themselves the Dames of Beef. Thank you ladies, I applaud you!:eusa_clap

Because of copyright, I won't post the article here, just the link: "A Dining Circle Dresses Up and Savors a Bygone Era"

Are any of you ladies here on the Lounge, or does anyone know any of them?

Brad

jackiemanni

New in Town
I *loved* reading that article! Thanks so much for sharing. I can so relate to the sentiments they shared and Oh! the high heel factor! That could have come right from my mouth.

I really liked this quote:

"I went to Luchow's and the Russian Tea Room, and Rumplemeyer's for dessert. What's considered cool in New York today is very contrived, and buzz is generated by publicists. The places we try to go to are the opposite of that. They're authentic and genuine."

That just about sums up my love of the 30s/40s eras perfectly, in a nutshell!

I didn't see them mention it, but I hope they've been to Peter Luger's!!

Jackie.

Feraud

Bartender
My wife showed me this article too. Interesting read. I notice their club is not open to new members. That is too bad, they could expose themselves to a great group of retro-minded folks that are prowling the city.

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
Cabinetman said:
Geez, that sounds like fun! JP, good find and thanks for sharing!

Woops! I meant "BB". Sorry, Brad. I saw your name and processed "James Powers". You know what's sad? I even checked to make sure of who I was addressing! Double woops.

Cab

whistlebait

One of the Regulars
I would imagine that with the addition of new members it would open up the possibility of saving some of the resturants and bars they cherish, as more attention drawn to them the better.

magneto

Practically Family
Agreed, great article! Now I want to round up some people and do something similar in San Francisco...drinks at the Gold Dust, eat at Tadich's and Sam's Grill...in which case we'd have to be the "Dames of Seafood" :p

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
magneto said:
Agreed, great article! Now I want to round up some people and do something similar in San Francisco...drinks at the Gold Dust, eat at Tadich's and Sam's Grill...in which case we'd have to be the "Dames of Seafood" :p

Hm, if it's not just dames, I might make a night or two.
Other prospects:

- Vintage western wear dinner at the Casa Orinda (in Orinda).
- Drinks at Tosca, Maxfield's, and The Persian Aub Zam Zam (in SF)

Gee, there really aren't many. So sorry to see what they did
to and around the Redwood Room.

magneto

Practically Family
feltfan said:
Hm, if it's not just dames, I might make a night or two.
Other prospects:

- Vintage western wear dinner at the Casa Orinda (in Orinda).
- Drinks at Tosca, Maxfield's, and The Persian Aub Zam Zam (in SF)

Gee, there really aren't many. So sorry to see what they did
to and around the Redwood Room.

Tragic indeed!
Hmm...and another suggestion, I've always wanted to have lunch w/a group at the Garden Court of the Palace Hotel...the noble institution that saw the death of our great President, Warren Harding! :) ...All right, I shan't hijack the thread--anyone in SF interested or with any other locales in mind, PM me and let's have some retro dining!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo