Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dark Knight (2008)

Edward

Bartender
Darhling said:
I loved The Joker, although there were a few moments where he 'acted', but he was the star in this movie. I wished the movie focused more om him & Batman and had more scenes with those two - sane vs. insane.

They were great together, however I disagree with the 'sane vs insane' categorisation. It's purely my own opinion, but I've long been of the belief that the Batman is every bit as psychotic as those he goes up against; he is simply tolerated, even hero worshipped, because the targets of his psychosis are oscially acceptable targets, i.e. criminals who need to be brought down. [huh]

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Darhling said:
I loved The Joker, although there were a few moments where he 'acted', but he was the star in this movie. I wished the movie focused more om him & Batman and had more scenes with those two - sane vs. insane.

Batman? Sane? lol Edward pretty much sums up my opinion above.

Darhling.. so you really just plain didn't like it? No redeeming factors? You'd actually be the first person I've seen/heard/read had a bad review. Not trying to change your opinion or anything, of course. I hate those types who would react something like "WHAT? You didn't like the Dark Knight? What's WRONG with you!?!" I get that a lot when I tell people I didn't like Pan's Labyrinth. *cringe*

Feraud

Bartender
I am surprised at how much money this movie has made.
It is a story heavy, long film.. go figure. [huh]

As I read about the film breaking all sorts of financial records I cannot help wonder if Nolan will ever make another film as amazing as Memento.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Yes, I definitly thinks Batman is sane, simply because he knows whats right & wrong and tries to help people by staying as much as inside the lines of not hurting other people - he has a consience and that makes him sane in my book. Like the joker said, he himself doesznt have any rules, he is like a dog chasing cars and he has no idea what to do with one if he catches one - having rules vs. no rules, sane vs. insane, consience vs. no consience, Batman vs. Joker. Yes Batman is this dark character that is very brooding and lives a lonely life, but he is very much sane, perhaps he has TOO much consience if anything!

Mr Misantrophy - I don't feel like it was money out of the window, but I was very dissapointed with it. trying not to repeat myself, I think they spent too much time on setting up the next batman film than concentrating on telling a new Batman tale.

Positive things: I really like Christian Bale as Batman as apposed to previous Batmen, he is a great mix of good looks without being too much of a leading man type of actor and he has the brooding/pensive mood too. Heath was really good, if no one had told me it was him, I would have never guessed it was him, I would have thought it was a much older actor.

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Well as long as it wasn't a complete waste. lol

I see your point about Batman's sanity. I guess he wouldn't be able to do what he does if he was insane. Tormented, a little unstable.. sure.

Nighthawk

One of the Regulars
Feraud said:
I am surprised at how much money this movie has made.
It is a story heavy, long film.. go figure. [huh]

If Heath Ledger hadn't died, it wouldn't be making as much money.

NH

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Just saw the movie in IMAX. I liked it a lot in regular format - I LOVED it in Imax. The amazing sound, the incredible vistas on 60 feet of screen with dozens of speakers and subwoofers that rattle your bones. I little more levity from Burce Wayne would have been nice but the depth of this movie makes it more than just a "comic book" movie.

i_am_the_scruff

A-List Customer
Saw it on saturday. Loved it.

It was different to other superhero films, for instance the girl dies. that wouldn't have happened in spiderman.

I really enjoyed it and LOVED Heath Ledger as the joker. Pure brilliance.
I would love him to be in the next one but obviously he sadly passed away. But hey, i'm sure it could be done with computer and doubles.
I could be Harely Quinn you know... lol haha.

I liked the story line, but to be honest, I think it was the joker that made this film. If he was played by Jack Nicholson again I don't think it would be half as good a film as it is.

Can't wait for it to be released on DVD so I can watch the special features!

By the way, what is imax?

*ValleyGirl14*

New in Town
I saw the dark knight a few weeks ago, loved it! I loved how deep the movie was, it wasn't like your average super hero movie. Which was refreshing, most of the time the plot is just a rinse and repeat. Heath was AMAZING as the joker, I wish he was still alive:( I kind of think Heath Ledger is the Australian James Dean of today lol.

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
Mr_Misanthropy said:
Batman? Sane? lol Edward pretty much sums up my opinion above.

Darhling.. so you really just plain didn't like it? No redeeming factors? You'd actually be the first person I've seen/heard/read had a bad review. Not trying to change your opinion or anything, of course. I hate those types who would react something like "WHAT? You didn't like the Dark Knight? What's WRONG with you!?!" I get that a lot when I tell people I didn't like Pan's Labyrinth. *cringe*

I also was not a huge fan of the new Batman movie (or pan's labyrinth so hey we have something in common) I think my dislike of it was based more on the hype surrounding it. I really wanted to like Ledger/The Joker but I really just didn't. I'm not saying they should bring back Ceasar Romero and I, not being a huge fan of nicholson thought it would be an easy performance to top but I was dissapointed. I feel if this had been a non-Joker character I would have liked him better but he just wasn't the joker. Everyone told me what a dark, twisted interperatation he gave but I didn't think it was that awe-inspiring, I always liked how (in the right artist's/author's hands) batman was Mr. Dark clothes and trauma and his villians, while equally nutty wore brightly colored clothes and killed people in fascinating ways. I think a Joker who kills someone with a joy buzzer is way cooler than one who stabs them.'

Oh well, there's my rant.

As a final note I did really like Aaron eakheart's portrayal of two-face.

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
:eek:fftopic:

I have a buddy who's going to start reviewing batman graphic novels in a blog, any fans of the caped crusader should check it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo