Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Disney Diner

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
Hey all,
I could be wrong but believe a "Disney Toronto" x Dobbs x Biltmore has yet to be posted about here... or anywhere else I could find.
Was scouting the bay for old Canadian Biltmores and came across this short brimmed beauty...
Not much info was given from the seller and got no reply back about brim width or other measurements, but after going through this thread I figured it was worth taking a gamble on at the right cost.

Was listed as black by the seller but my money is on it being a navy or midnight blue... at least to my eyes judging by a few of the photos.
Had no mention of Dobbs or Disney brands in the listing.
Comes with what i presume is the Original box, black and yellow Biltmore octagonal.
Original price of the hat as seen on the lid of the box says $10.
Sweatband looks like it's brand new.
The felt i assume is soft and dry moldable, judging by the pinch in the one photo.

Was listed as buy it now for $60 CAD or make a offer ... I offered $30 and after waiting nearly 24 hrs they finally accepted.
With rhe shippong cost and tax, it'll cost about $73... Did i get a good one for my $75 Worth?

Looks to be in immaculate shape. Although, it may have some salt stains from ear tips touching the brim or could just be dust, im not sure... either way should clean up vary nicely.

Any knowledge insight about its age, rarity etc would be appreciated. From what I can gather this is pre 1948 since it's not a Mr Disney?
Considering the gold size tag, golden chariot dobbs logo, oilsilk liner and dobbs liner logo... my best guess it dates the hat to the mid 40s? Does 1945-47 seem accurate to those more knowledgeable?

This hat is a Dobbs made under license in Canada, so likely by Biltmore. The Disney portion was the retailer, probably a men's store. This has no connection to the (Mr.) Disney hat brand. Given the plastic liner, black sweatband, and smaller dimensions I would say maybe a 1960s hat.

Worth is subjective. If you felt like you got a good deal, then you did. Wear it and enjoy it! :)

Hook02

New in Town
This hat is a Dobbs made under license in Canada, so likely by Biltmore. The Disney portion was the retailer, probably a men's store. This has no connection to the (Mr.) Disney hat brand. Given the plastic liner, black sweatband, and smaller dimensions I would say maybe a 1960s hat.

Worth is subjective. If you felt like you got a good deal, then you did. Wear it and enjoy it! :)
Thank you, that makes sense judging by the dobbs logo I figured that at first myself, but then that Disney logo threw me off. Bummer since I thought I had scored something quite unique among the (Mr.) Disney brand.

Hook02

New in Town
I don't think it is related to Disney or Mr. Disney hats. Disney Shops Ltd. was a store on Yonge Street in Toronto (in business from 1948 until 1997).

I can't help much with the Dobbs dating of those made in Canada. The black sweatband gives me a '60s/'70s vibe.

Thanks for that Disney shops Ltd. information, I wasnt having any luck finding more on Disney mens dress stores.
Google was giving me nothing but Disney shops for that mouse character.

Hey all,
I could be wrong but believe a "Disney Toronto" x Dobbs x Biltmore has yet to be posted about here... or anywhere else I could find.
Was scouting the bay for old Canadian Biltmores and came across this short brimmed beauty...
Not much info was given from the seller and got no reply back about brim width or other measurements, but after going through this thread I figured it was worth taking a gamble on at the right cost.

Was listed as black by the seller but my money is on it being a navy or midnight blue... at least to my eyes judging by a few of the photos.
Had no mention of Dobbs or Disney brands in the listing.
Comes with what i presume is the Original box, black and yellow Biltmore octagonal.
Original price of the hat as seen on the lid of the box says $10.
Sweatband looks like it's brand new.
The felt i assume is soft and dry moldable, judging by the pinch in the one photo.

Was listed as buy it now for $60 CAD or make a offer ... I offered $30 and after waiting nearly 24 hrs they finally accepted.
With rhe shippong cost and tax, it'll cost about $73... Did i get a good one for my $75 Worth?

Looks to be in immaculate shape. Although, it may have some salt stains from ear tips touching the brim or could just be dust, im not sure... either way should clean up vary nicely.

Any knowledge insight about its age, rarity etc would be appreciated. From what I can gather this is pre 1948 since it's not a Mr Disney?
Considering the gold size tag, golden chariot dobbs logo, oilsilk liner and dobbs liner logo... my best guess it dates the hat to the mid 40s? Does 1945-47 seem accurate to those more knowledgeable?

I don't think it is related to Disney or Mr. Disney hats. Disney Shops Ltd. was a store on Yonge Street in Toronto (in business from 1948 until 1997).

I can't help much with the Dobbs dating of those made in Canada. The black sweatband gives me a '60s/'70s vibe.
All of that being said. Disney Hats…. Mr Disney.. John Disney. Was a brand.. essentially store brand… most of the hats out there were made by Lee Hats while the brand was owned by Lee. There are some older ones out there if I’m not mistaken we’re made by HCA in some shape or form. So anyway…. A Disney Dobbs Biltmore,., Sounds good to me.

Disney Twenty as unboxed and lightly dusted. What did Disney call their Cavanagh Edge?

IMG_9965.jpeg

IMG_9954.jpeg

The wind trolley button is different. I think the string needs a loop tied into it to allow tensioning as it is just half knotted now.

IMG_9957.jpeg

IMG_9958.jpeg

IMG_9959.jpeg

IMG_9960.jpeg

IMG_9961.jpeg

IMG_9962.jpeg

IMG_9963.jpeg

IMG_9964.jpeg

I didn’t check behind the sweat yet as it needs some conditioning.

Disney Twenty as unboxed and lightly dusted. What did Disney call their Cavanagh Edge?

View attachment 575258

View attachment 575259

The wind trolley button is different. I think the string needs a loop tied into it to allow tensioning as it is just half knotted now.

View attachment 575260

View attachment 575261

View attachment 575262

View attachment 575263

View attachment 575264

View attachment 575265

View attachment 575266

View attachment 575267

Fantastic, Bob. Disneys of this era just seem to be special.

MikeinRome

Practically Family

View attachment 575258

View attachment 575259

View attachment 575260

View attachment 575261

View attachment 575262

View attachment 575263

View attachment 575264

View attachment 575265

View attachment 575266

View attachment 575267

Bob was nice enough to sell me this Disney Twenty. I won't duplicate his photos, but I add a photo of the mfg tag. The hat has a 2 3/4 inch brim and 5 3/4 inch open crown.

Attachments

• IMG_20240108_223647_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240108_223647_HDR.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:

wsmontana

A-List Customer
This one took almost a month to ship to me but for $25 it was worth the wait. I’ve been searching for a Disney to go with a box I already own. Everything is in great shape (a pleasant surprise) except for the sweatband (which I expected). I was hoping for a 7 3/8 based on the seller‘s measurements but alas it is a 7 1/4. It does, however, fit nicely with the sweatband removed.

I gave it a light cleaning and opened up the crown. There are no crease lines so I may go with a pinch front (apologies to Homburg purists!) until I figure out what to do with it.

IMG_9715.jpeg IMG_9717.jpeg IMG_9718.jpeg IMG_9719.jpeg IMG_9720.jpeg IMG_9728.jpeg IMG_9729.jpeg

This one took almost a month to ship to me but for $25 it was worth the wait. I’ve been searching for a Disney to go with a box I already own. Everything is in great shape (a pleasant surprise) except for the sweatband (which I expected). I was hoping for a 7 3/8 based on the seller‘s measurements but alas it is a 7 1/4. It does, however, fit nicely with the sweatband removed.

I gave it a light cleaning and opened up the crown. There are no crease lines so I may go with a pinch front (apologies to Homburg purists!) until I figure out what to do with it.

View attachment 603051 View attachment 603052 View attachment 603053 View attachment 603054 View attachment 603055 View attachment 603056 View attachment 603057
Lovely Disney, Bill

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
The Skeet:
20240421_140240.jpg
20240421_140301.jpg
20240421_140326.jpg
20240421_140729.jpg
20240421_140640.jpg
20240421_140847.jpg
20240421_140906.jpg
20240421_140918.jpg
20240421_140939.jpg
20240421_141250.jpg

Crown5-3/4" (open)
Brim2-1/4" with 1/4" underwelt
Ribbon1-1/2" with 1/8" binding top and bottom
Weight112g

Where to begin? Incredible heathered felt that will do just about anything. With the generous crown a previous owner took full advantage and creased it with panache. The felt easily remembered the crease as I was able to recreate it with relative ease after popping it back out to open crown for measurement purposes. The upper and lower binding on the felted "ribbon" adds just a bit of pop to offset it from the body.

I suspect this hat is of older origin and created during the Crofut & Knapp era of Disney. The crest is the older form, and lacks the "Mr." designation. Also note the manufacturing tag. This tag is more squat in design and has only a single border line. The only other example of this style tag was in a homburg posted by Brent a few months ago.

Last edited:

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
The Skeet:
View attachment 608497 View attachment 608498 View attachment 608499 View attachment 608500 View attachment 608501 View attachment 608502 View attachment 608503 View attachment 608504 View attachment 608505 View attachment 608506

Crown5-3/4" (open)
Weight112g

Where to begin? Incredible heathered felt that will do just about anything. With the generous crown a previous owner took full advantage and creased it with panache. The felt easily remembered the crease as I was able to recreate it with relative ease after popping it back out to open crown for measurement purposes. The upper and lower binding on the self felted "ribbon" adds just a bit of pop to offset it from the body.

I suspect this hat is of older origin and created during the Crofut & Knapp era of Disney. The crest is the older form, and lacks the "Mr." designation. Also note the manufacturing tag. This tag is more squat in design and has only a single border line. The only other example of this style tag was in a homburg posted by Brent a few months ago.
Absolutely love it, Jonathan. Both inside and out. The colourful liner is the icing on the cake. Super find, my friend.

The Skeet:
View attachment 608497 View attachment 608498 View attachment 608499 View attachment 608500 View attachment 608501 View attachment 608502 View attachment 608503 View attachment 608504 View attachment 608505 View attachment 608506

Crown5-3/4" (open)
Weight112g

Where to begin? Incredible heathered felt that will do just about anything. With the generous crown a previous owner took full advantage and creased it with panache. The felt easily remembered the crease as I was able to recreate it with relative ease after popping it back out to open crown for measurement purposes. The upper and lower binding on the felted "ribbon" adds just a bit of pop to offset it from the body.

Absolutely scrampopulous find!
An exquisite addition, Jonathan.

The Skeet:

Crown5-3/4" (open)
Weight112g

Absolutely wonderful find!!!!

The Skeet:

Crown5-3/4" (open)
Weight112g

Wow, that is truly something special!

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, everyone!
Absolutely love it, Jonathan. Both inside and out. The colourful liner is the icing on the cake. Super find, my friend.

The "ribbon" makes it! So awesome

Though wearing a hat named Skeet... I'd duck if I heard someone yell "pull"

Absolutely scrampopulous find!
An exquisite addition, Jonathan.

Absolutely wonderful find!!!!

Wow, that is truly something special!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner