Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I find it incredible that ANYONE is, at the end of the day, expected to justify their attire. I currently serve in the air force, but within an office building context vice on a base, and with a large civilian workforce.

The slovenly approach many of them take, jeans, teeshirts, CROCS (!) and flipflops, and they work for the government, yet people dressed like that look at someone in a real suit or classy dress and think (and say out loud) - why are you dressed like THAT?

MisterCairo said:
I find it incredible that ANYONE is, at the end of the day, expected to justify their attire. I currently serve in the air force, but within an office building context vice on a base, and with a large civilian workforce.

The slovenly approach many of them take, jeans, teeshirts, CROCS (!) and flipflops, and they work for the government, yet people dressed like that look at someone in a real suit or classy dress and think (and say out loud) - why are you dressed like THAT?

Tell them you work for the Men in Black. ;) :p

Torpedo

One Too Many
Thank you everybody for the comments. Yes, that anecdote has served the purpose of making me realize how I have created something of an enduring image with that particular style of mine.

I would add that some of my colleagues seem to have gained a better appreciation of it, also! :D

Torpedo said:
Thank you everybody for the comments. Yes, that anecdote has served the purpose of making me realize how I have created something of an enduring image with that particular style of mine.

I would add that some of my colleagues seem to have gained a better appreciation of it, also! :D

Nothing better than being know for something good.
Better to be famous rather than infamous I suppose. ;) :p

metropd

One Too Many
A few weeks ago a girl asked me if I have seen the movie American Psycho. I said no. She told me I should see it because I look like the main character.:eek: Basically I think she told me I look like a guy who belongs in a mental institution. lol

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
suitedcboy said:
kowalskt63 said:
The other evening while rushing to catch the train home from Philly after a long day's work, a co-worker (same company but not same department), was walking in same direction with me. He said, "hey, where's your machine gun".

Maybe the appropriate answer would have been, "My people carry machine guns, I just give the orders to use them when someone bugs me"

Upon viewing my Facebook avatar photo (similar to my FL avatar photo), I friend of mine commented that I looked like I had stepped out of a Godfather movie. I answered that I would like to think that I looked like I stepped out of a film from the '30s or '40s, when most men, law enforcement agents included, dressed that way in public. She quickly wrote back that, yes, I did look something like Elliot Ness!lol

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Upon viewing my Facebook avatar photo (similar to my FL avatar photo), I friend of mine commented that I looked like I had stepped out of a Godfather movie. I answered that I would like to think that I looked like I stepped out of a film from the '30s or '40s, when most men, law enforcement agents included, dressed that way in public. She quickly wrote back that, yes, I did look something like Elliot Ness!lol

I had a similar exchange with a friend regarding my own Facebook avatar!

Cheers,
Tom

munchausen

One of the Regulars
metropd said:
A few weeks ago a girl asked me if I have seen the movie American Psycho. I said no. She told me I should see it because I look like the main character.:eek: Basically I think she told me I look like a guy who belongs in a mental institution. lol

Or in jail. lol

Interesting book. I remember buying it when I was younger because it was wrapped in plastic. But was entertained at references to Huey Lewis and Genesis amongst some highly sociopathic moments.

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
metropd said:
Basically I think she told me I look like a guy who belongs in a mental institution. lol

Maybe not entirely. The main character, though a total nutjob, is very well dressed. About an eighth of the movie is dedicated to tips on style and personal grooming, so it's possible she was trying to compliment your looks and could only think of Mr. American Psycho as a reference point.

docneg

One of the Regulars
metropd said:
While you do look a bit like Christian Bale, you might want to rent the film because it is a hoot! I only just saw it for the first time six months ago, and had no idea it was so bizarrely funny, as someone else mentioned here, because of the endless monologues the main character goes on about personal hygiene products and the evolution of Phil Collins as a band front man. Totally unexpected in a movie that is supposed to be a thriller. And the one-upsmanship in the corporate office is parodied like nothing I have ever seen.

And, if you do start to suspect you belong in a mental institution, seeing this movie will make you feel much better about yourself.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
kabuto said:
Completely sick book, full of graphic torture descriptions.

:eek:

I must confess that I have put a few Fedoras ($5 thrift find types back in the '80's) through what could be perceived as torture. In hindsight I realize that a couple of them were damn nice hats.

I pray that there will be no government investigation.

:eek:

metropd

One Too Many
I saw the movie yesterday. It was one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. I love the long monologues about 1980's musicians, and his extreme narcissism, that I found very comedic. My favorite part was when his fiancee was nagging him at a nice restaurant and he said loudly, "I need to engage in homicidal behavior on massive level." And his fiancee went back to nagging him.lol lol lol lol lol lol lol The secretary was the only decent person in the whole move. Other than the secretary, everybody's purpose was to try and take advantage, and exploit everybody else.

munchausen

One of the Regulars
metropd said:
I saw the movie yesterday. It was one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. I love the long monologues about 1980's musicians, and his extreme narcissism, that I found very comedic. My favorite part was when his fiancee was nagging him at a nice restaurant and he said loudly, "I need to engage in homicidal behavior on massive level." And his fiancee went back to nagging him.lol lol lol lol lol lol lol The secretary was the only decent person in the whole move. Other than the secretary, everybody's purpose was to try and take advantage, and exploit everybody else.

The book was a little more disturbing than the movie, but there is definitely some humour in there. I forgot that there were style tips and such. I remember his frustration that his business card wasn't as good as another chap's. Anyway, I'm with the others when they say she was complimenting you on your stylishness. Bateman was a stylish cat in the 80s.

metropd

One Too Many
munchausen said:
The book was a little more disturbing than the movie, but there is definitely some humour in there. I forgot that there were style tips and such. I remember his frustration that his business card wasn't as good as another chap's. Anyway, I'm with the others when they say she was complimenting you on your stylishness. Bateman was a stylish cat in the 80s.

I remember the business card scene at the office! I was laughing so hard I was crying.lol lol

Kreissaege

One of the Regulars
Widebrim said:
suitedcboy said:

On your Fl avatar, you look like Dean Martin, at first glance;)

Roninjedi

One of the Regulars
About a week ago I walked into work dressed casually wearing a black flat cap. Just a cheapo $12.95 Target ivy-style cap. One of my co-workers who is ordinarily an intelligent young lady said something about getting me a striped shirt and coffee. Seeing the puzzled look on my face she clarified by saying how French I looked. Still no comprehension on my face and she said it was "because of the beret."

Beret?

I tried to point out that it was a flat cap or "driving cap". Now it was her turn to look confused. She said that it looked like a beret to her because it's flat and has a button on top. :rolleyes: Again, I think it's a case of seeing something unfamiliar and instantly trying to make the association with something familiar. "This vaguely reminds me of Thing X, therefore it must actually be Thing X."

Torpedo

One Too Many
RoninJ, I must say this beret remark has happened to me too, although in relation to newsboy/8-panel caps. I think you have very much defined the reason. The fact the visor/bill is mostly or wholly hidden in ivy, newsboy, etc, style caps, surely contributes. Even then... :eusa_doh:

LordBest

Practically Family
From a young lady (using the term loosely) in the grocers recently:

"Are you for serious?!"
"Er, what?"
"Are you for serious? Why are you feekin dressed like that?"
"Well, why not?"
"******' tosser, I'm going I need to have a feekin piss."

I had on an 8 panel cap, woolen vest and greatcoat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn