Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Roninjedi said:
About a week ago I walked into work dressed casually wearing a black flat cap. Just a cheapo $12.95 Target ivy-style cap. One of my co-workers who is ordinarily an intelligent young lady said something about getting me a striped shirt and coffee. Seeing the puzzled look on my face she clarified by saying how French I looked. Still no comprehension on my face and she said it was "because of the beret."

Beret?

I tried to point out that it was a flat cap or "driving cap". Now it was her turn to look confused. She said that it looked like a beret to her because it's flat and has a button on top. :rolleyes: Again, I think it's a case of seeing something unfamiliar and instantly trying to make the association with something familiar. "This vaguely reminds me of Thing X, therefore it must actually be Thing X."
You actually often see flat caps described as berets on Ebay. I believe there was a thread at one point about ludicrous Ebay descriptions, wasn't there?
LOTTA ignorance out there.

Firemanpc

New in Town
Wearing a fedora straw hat with a small 2" brim. I was asked if I was going on safari as I stood on an elevator on my way to the office.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
^ :eusa_doh:

and the flat cap I get comments about alot. None so bad as that though! generally just "what IS that?"

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Firemanpc said:
Wearing a fedora straw hat with a small 2" brim. I was asked if I was going on safari as I stood on an elevator on my way to the office.

That was you!?!? :eek: I remember asking someone that this morning.

Welcome to the Lounge really nice people here and good info too. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

billyspew

One Too Many
Wearing a grey fedora and suit last night, while at Waterloo station a kid wearing a baseball cap pointed at me and shouted "Indiana Jones! Right?" (he was only a yard or two away from me so why he had to point, and shout I don't know).
Just pointed right back and shouted "Babe Ruth!, Right?"

He just looked perplexed and quickly turned and shuffled away.

Was quite pleased to react so quickly.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
billyspew said:
Wearing a grey fedora and suit last night, while at Waterloo station a kid wearing a baseball cap pointed at me and shouted "Indiana Jones! Right?" (he was only a yard or two away from me so why he had to point, and shout I don't know).

lol lol :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Last night I was out wearing the following combo:

borsalino_long_09_17_09a.jpg

On the platform of the subway station there were a few drunken guys rolling around, molesting people. One of them caught sight of me and yelled out 'Hi Udo!', referring to this fellow, Udo Lindenberg, a German 'rock singer':

udo-lindenberg.jpg

The retard who had first addressed me and all of his companions started to laugh hysterically as if it was the best joke they had heard in a very long time - which it probably was... :rolleyes:

Herzen

One of the Regulars
billyspew said:

Well played, my friend, well played. I'm never that quick. I would have stared dumbly at him and only later come up with some witty retorts.

Roninjedi said:
I think it's a case of seeing something unfamiliar and instantly trying to make the association with something familiar. "This vaguely reminds me of Thing X, therefore it must actually be Thing X."
This is the way of things in the US and many places around the globe. So many people glide thru life without really seeing or hearing or reading or learning about the world that surrounds them.

She gets a pass and a gold star because she has conceptually linked the shirt and a hat as French as well as the coffee. The partial credit on the exam gets her a C+ in todays education system, why should the real world be different?

I am surprised to find she saw and acknowledged your presence as opposed to being focused on texting her friends.;)

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
LordBest said:
From a young lady (using the term loosely) in the grocers recently:

"Are you for serious?!"
"Er, what?"
"Are you for serious? Why are you feekin dressed like that?"
"Well, why not?"
"******' tosser, I'm going I need to have a feekin piss."

I had on an 8 panel cap, woolen vest and greatcoat.

You, sir, have encountered some really boorish characters. What would she have said if you had been wearing a bowler?

High Pockets

Practically Family
billyspew said:

:D :D I'll try to remember that one! :D

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
billyspew said:

Excellent, but if you had thought to bring your bullwhip, you could have really given him an appropriate response.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
billyspew said:

He had to go home and ask his Dad who Babe Ruth was. I'll bet the poor kid had never even heard of Baseball before!

shakeshead

Roninjedi

One of the Regulars
John in Covina said:
I am surprised to find she saw and acknowledged your presence as opposed to being focused on texting her friends.;)

Nah. I'm one of the people she would text if she saw something she thought was odd or funny. I'm sure she thinks I'm a bit odd, but many of her friends are. (We're all role-playing, sci-fi, comic book, geek-types) ;) I was just disappointed that her basic powers of observation are so poorly developed.

LordBest

Practically Family
Funnily enough my bowler gets less attention than my fedoras or caps, perhaps because it is black. Thus far I think I've had a half boorish comments and half nice comments, not a bad ratio I suppose but a tad drear all the same.

Nick D said:
You, sir, have encountered some really boorish characters. What would she have said if you had been wearing a bowler?

Torpedo

One Too Many
LordBest said:
Funnily enough my bowler gets less attention than my fedoras or caps, perhaps because it is black. Thus far I think I've had a half boorish comments and half nice comments, not a bad ratio I suppose but a tad drear all the same.

Interestingly, I have also found that, contrarily to what I thought beforehand, wearing what you would consider a rarer hat style does not elicit more (if any) comments, witty or otherwise. Of course, wearing any classic style of hat is rare, so this alone is seen as odd enough, no need to delve in rarer-than-rare I guess.

I have noticed this with straw boaters, homburgs and bowlers. Of course, people is mostly clueless about the characteristics of any hat, and unable to tell much about their differences. Of the three above, the only one people more or less identify is the bowler.

If you wear hats regularly, and in a diversity of styles and dimensions, they just amalgamate all of them as just generic hats. I have often been pointed to those cloth, trendy hats, which most of us consider unacceptable, by people (friends, family) who sincerely think I would be interested, because they, genuinely, are utterly unable to see those are not on the same league of headwear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn