Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tango Yankee said:
I was standing in the foyer of the building where I teach (think grocery store double entrance, since that's what this building used to be) talking to my wife on my cell phone. Since she gets up and leaves before I get up, and she's asleep when I get home, I like to give her a call during one of our breaks. But I digress.

A group of practical nursing students were approaching the inside doors when I picked up "He looks like Dick Tracy" just before they entered the foyer to leave. As I was in conversation I didn't have the time to think of anything witty to say as they went by, other then "Dick Tracy's hat was yellow."

I figured at the very least they may got the point that I heard the comment. I doubt it'll do anything for their manners, other then to be a bit more cautious about not being overheard when they say things like that.

Cheers,
Tom

Actually, in the old serials, Dick Tracy didn't wear a yellow hat. That was just in the comics and that stupid Madonna movie.
"If I were Dick Tracy, I would have to arrest all of you for obvious drug use." :p

Qwkslvr

One of the Regulars
Little House on The Prairie

I walked into a lobby of a hotel last night. A group of young men and women were standing in a loose circle talking. Many of the young men wore baggy shirts and pants. One of the young mens trousers were pulled well down, and he was squatted feeling the contents of his front pockets which were just slightly above knee level.
He looked up at me as I entered and said as he stood up, "Hey, it's Little House on The Prairie." I quickly squatted and began feeling the outside of my knees, looked at his friends and asked, "Who's this?" His friends all busted up laughing.
I stood up, winked as I doffed my hat and strode away.
I was wearing my $15 wool fedora, safari style, a silver-gray tee-shirt, jeans and suspenders.

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
First time wearing a hat in shopping mall, this black Adam in my avatar, I got this comment, "You bring the horse sir?"

Since the man said that jokingly and he looks polite, I smiled and said, "Yeah, left it in the parking lot."

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I wore my stetson clear beaver today. From a friend in my Radio class I got, "Your hat smells like my grandpa"
Sad thing is it was true.

Qwkslvr said:
I walked into a lobby of a hotel last night. A group of young men and women were standing in a loose circle talking. Many of the young men wore baggy shirts and pants. One of the young mens trousers were pulled well down, and he was squatted feeling the contents of his front pockets which were just slightly above knee level.
He looked up at me as I entered and said as he stood up, "Hey, it's Little House on The Prairie." I quickly squatted and began feeling the outside of my knees, looked at his friends and asked, "Who's this?" His friends all busted up laughing.
I stood up, winked as I doffed my hat and strode away.
I was wearing my $15 wool fedora, safari style, a silver-gray tee-shirt, jeans and suspenders.

That one was gold. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Another one today...

...from a friend no less. Is your head cold? With me in coat and tie at church.

You know it really seems to offend some folks when you wear a hat.

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
When I wore my snood the other day, my brother, who knows full well what it is, stood behind me and started playing with my hair.

"Nice hair bag."

I laughed--he's a funny kid. A friend of his calls it a "snoob".

Yesterday a friend passed along a new one.
One of the dolts at his workplace asked if he was trying to be noticed by dressing well and wearing hats etc. The dolt said it was "wierd."
I told him he should have said that people who don't wear hats are wierd to me. The word the guy might have been looking for is actually eccentric and not wierd as well. There is a fine line.

The second one was another friend of mine who related a wedding wardrobe disaster. The groom and groomsmen were all wearing black suits, green ties and black converse type tennis shoes for the wedding! :eusa_doh:
I am still awaiting pictures for the Lucky Charms wedding. :rolleyes:
However, I understand there was a sharkskin wearing older gentleman among the throngs. At least he was setting a good example. ;) :D

Regards,

J

The Outlaw Kyle

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
Yesterday a friend passed along a new one.
One of the dolts at his workplace asked if he was trying to be noticed by dressing well and wearing hats etc. The dolt said it was "wierd."
I told him he should have said that people who don't wear hats are wierd to me. The word the guy might have been looking for is actually eccentric and not wierd as well. There is a fine line.

It's funny you should mention the word "weird". I have found that in some areas this word is a catch all for "different" or "I don't understand this, and it makes me uncomfortable". In the area I live in I have heard it used this way many times. Example: A friend described the movie "The New World" as "weird" primarily because it lacked a simple, formulaic, structure. Lots of voice overs and scene jumps with out explanation. What this person really meant was "it was different, and I didn't understand the movie". It seems that "weird" is used this way by people that live very sheltered lives and difference makes them a little uncomfortable. If they feel this way about something so external and aesthetic as a hat, I can only imagine how they might react to real difference :eek:. This is all to say, I try my best to avoid the word "weird". I think "odd" does a better job of getting across the concept of weird with out all the baggage. I would not object to being called odd, if normal is boring. My preferred choice of epithet is "eccentric" however!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925