Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
jamespowers said:
Yesterday a friend passed along a new one.
One of the dolts at his workplace asked if he was trying to be noticed by dressing well and wearing hats etc. The dolt said it was "wierd."

I told him he should have said that people who don't wear hats are wierd to me.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Interesting comment but sort of dumb in a funny way.
I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday. We were mulling over the getting old thing. I was giving him a bad time abouyt him being 10 years older than me. :p
Anyway the topic came around to receding hairlines. His comment was: "you have it easy. No one would ever be able to tell if you were balding since you are always wearing a hat. You would have to take it off to tell the difference." lol lol lol lol
I thought that was a funny one. It reminded me of a signature tagline here: "Who needs hair if you have a sweet hat." ;) :D

Regards to all,

J

My friend brought me a new one recently. I swear the people he works with have nothing better to do than make stupid comments. :eusa_doh:
The boss was probably intimidated by him so he said that my friend looked like he ran the place because he dresses better than him everyday.
My comment would be something in the order of:
"Geez, I think you could easily outdress me with all that dough you have if you tried."
My friend does deal with the public and give estimates at times so it does pay to actually look like you are an authority figure.
In my own experience, I have been asked numerous times if I worked at various clothing stores I shop at. I usually play it to the hilt and help them out just for the fun of it. "Yes, the suits are over there. What size is your son sir." ;) :p

Regards to all,

J

Socrets

Familiar Face
I figured this where this little story belonged

Three days ago I was on my way to class during a pretty bad storm (wind, branches creaking, excessive amounts of water from every direction) and I didn't feel like showing up to class like a drowned rat so I decided to wear my felt fedora and trench coat to class. Now, I have recently delved into the art of maintaining my fedora in the best shape possible and had bought a white vinyl hat protector just the week before, so I figured there was no better time to test it out than that day. Back to the story, I run into a friend of mine outside of the building and she takes one look at my hat (with the protector covering it) and shouts, "Robert, why do you have a giant condom on your head?" I just broke out laughing.

Jovan

Suspended
jamespowers said:
My friend brought me a new one recently. I swear the people he works with have nothing better to do than make stupid comments. :eusa_doh:
The boss was probably intimidated by him so he said that my friend looked like he ran the place because he dresses better than him everyday.
My comment would be something in the order of:
"Geez, I think you could easily outdress me with all that dough you have if you tried."
My friend does deal with the public and give estimates at times so it does pay to actually look like you are an authority figure.
In my own experience, I have been asked numerous times if I worked at various clothing stores I shop at. I usually play it to the hilt and help them out just for the fun of it. "Yes, the suits are over there. What size is your son sir." ;) :p

Regards to all,

J
I've gotten asked where the fitting rooms are too many times to count.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Socrets said:
"Robert, why do you have a giant condom on your head?" I just broke out laughing.

That's pretty funny ... good thing you're able to have a laugh at your own expense once in a while, that might have made some people very angry!

lol

Joe_Frances

New in Town
New Guy in Town with A Dumb Comment

Greetings all! This is my first post, and I am happy to be here.

I was riding the late train out of Grand Central around Christmas time, wearing a camel fedora and raincoat. I was at the door of the train because it was crowded. From occasional glances while turning the pages of my paper, I noticed a good looking lady spying my hat. I appeared not to notice her. She said to her male companion that she really liked my hat. He said that I looked like the flying nun. The FLYING NUN!? I had to really control myself from bursting out laughing. This guy wouldn't know a fedora from a fire hydrant, and looked it. I was very amused when the train pulled into my stop, so I smiled at her and pulled slightly on the right-front side of my hat in a gesture of acknowledgment. She was just a little startled as I made a quick but graceful exit.

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
That's cute and sad at the same time. Sometimes I wonder how so much culture has been lost in such a short amount of time.

Welcome to the Lounge, Joe.

Joe_Frances

New in Town
Thanks, Guys

Thanks for your welcome. I am looking forward to participating in these fora, but I have to say, it's going to take me awhile to get my bearings. There's so much info, and so many posts to catch up on...

I would assume that the disappearance of our cultural mores and the style of our forefathers, particularly in hats and clothing, has been well considered here. It is, however, a big question. So many people have opined that the near demise of the hat came with the JFK era, and the cult of youth eschewing hats and all things "conventional". Of course, the return of hats, a micro-mini-trend if there ever was one, has got to be counter-cultural itself, i.e., going against the now established indicia of youth and rebelliousness. None of the photos of young guys I've seen wearing hats were well dressed, quite the opposite. The red or blue stingy brim or porkpie have found a place in the new grub-meets-downtown affect.

deelovely

Practically Family
Joe_Frances said:
I was riding the late train out of Grand Central around Christmas time, wearing a camel fedora and raincoat. I was at the door of the train because it was crowded. From occasional glances while turning the pages of my paper, I noticed a good looking lady spying my hat. I appeared not to notice her. She said to her male companion that she really liked my hat. He said that I looked like the flying nun. The FLYING NUN!? I had to really control myself from bursting out laughing. This guy wouldn't know a fedora from a fire hydrant, and looked it. I was very amused when the train pulled into my stop, so I smiled at her and pulled slightly on the right-front side of my hat in a gesture of acknowledgment. She was just a little startled as I made a quick but graceful exit.
Neat story! Welcome to the Lounge Joe Frances. :)

Jerekson

One Too Many
I'm not sure if I already posted this, (I'll bet I did) but it seems like it would fit in nicely with the way this page is going...

Making the usual rounds in the local Goodwill, wearing a navy DB jacket with a red tie. Some flustered-sounding guy on his cell phone runs up to me and asks, "Are you the manager?"

Jovan

Suspended
George Lopez talked a bit about that in a PBS program about him. He said when he was growing up, the manager of any establishment would be wearing a suit... not be in a "FuBu" jersey. lol

Jerekson said:
I'm not sure if I already posted this, (I'll bet I did) but it seems like it would fit in nicely with the way this page is going...

Making the usual rounds in the local Goodwill, wearing a navy DB jacket with a red tie. Some flustered-sounding guy on his cell phone runs up to me and asks, "Are you the manager?"

"Yes sir and by the way you are dressed, it looks like you really need me." :p ;)

Joe_Frances said:

The flying nun?! That has to be the dumbest comment I ever heard. :eusa_doh:
"Flying nun? No, I am Father McGafferty. Nice to meet you." :rolleyes: [huh]

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Today I heard the Dumbest Comment Today...

Today when I tried to goto a suit store, when asked if I could look at the suits...they wanted a purchase decision before I even saw the suits... and he said:

"You can buy online, if you don't buy today I won't show you a suit. I'm not running a museum."

FG.

Business Mentoring

FedoraGent said:
Today when I tried to goto a suit store, when asked if I could look at the suits...they wanted a purchase decision before I even saw the suits... and he said: "You can buy online, if you don't buy today I won't show you a suit. I'm not running a museum." FG.

What was the name of this delightful emporium, may I ask?

What a complete disregard for the customer, that response is sheer insanity!:eek: It does not bode well for the store or the salesman because buying a suit involves: Service and Selection. He's not offering service so his selection is no longer of consequence.

I think you should have said, with an attitude like that, no wonder they are buying online!

KilroyCD

One Too Many
John in Covina said:

What was the name of this delightful emporium, may I ask?

What a complete disregard for the customer, that response is sheer insanity!:eek: It does not bode well for the store or the salesman because buying a suit involves: Service and Selection. He's not offering service so his selection is no longer of consequence.

I think you should have said, with an attitude like that, no wonder they are buying online!

With an attitude like that, economic Darwinism will surely take its toll. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred