Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.
J.T.Marcus said:
A group from our church were downtown for a Christmas activity, when I accidentally heard two women talking. One said, What do you think of the preacher's hat?" The other replied, "I think it looks g......" I couldn't make out her last word, and still don't know if it was "good" or "goofy." :D

It was good and not goofy. Women usually use terms like Godawful not goofy. ;) :p

CdnDandy

Familiar Face
I've heard this one several times, but when I have my vintage round eyeglasses on with a fedora, I'm told that I look like the evil German guy from Raiders of the Lost Ark. Yeah, the one whose face melts.

ArnoldToht.jpg

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Tony in Tarzana said:
Dumb comments abound here, but I think Micky Dolenz wears his fedora with aplomb through it all:

http://www.tmz.com/tmz_main_video?titleid=1328185193
Well, I gotta give him credit. In the face of an veritable onslaught of moronic comments from pea-brained paparazzi, and he never once let slip a hint of the disgust and incredulity he must have felt. I wonder what the world would have been like of photographers from the paparazzi had gotten enough oxygen at birth.

kokopelli

One of the Regulars
OMG

You really do.. Sweet.. Ron

CdnDandy said:
I've heard this one several times, but when I have my vintage round eyeglasses on with a fedora, I'm told that I look like the evil German guy from Raiders of the Lost Ark. Yeah, the one whose face melts.

ArnoldToht.jpg

Jovan

Suspended
Not hat related, but I was nicknamed "American Psycho" tonight. I know they were only joking and all but... come on. I don't look like Christian Bale just because I wear a tie, wool coat, and comb my hair. :rolleyes:

The Outlaw Kyle

One of the Regulars
Today, I was out looking for cars. I went with my father-in-law. Stopped at a used car lot and test drove a couple of Ford Focuses(sp?). The sales guy goes with us, and as we are driving around he says, seemingly out of no where "You know, you'll only be able to get a couple of bodies in this trunk, unlike your Buick". My father-in-law gives me a sideways glance and I say "Uhu, okay, great". Then it dawns on me - The hat! Ah, yes. Of course I'm a gangster you see, because I have this cowboy hat on. I wouldn't have bought that piece of guano anyway, but what a dumb comment. Everywhere else, I was treated great I must say.

Just the other day, I went to the mall for the first time while wearing my hat. It was odd, because now for the most part, I don't even notice it anymore. I was a little more self conscious about it because it's such a "youthful" place, and the need to fit and make fit is strong with kids. I got some funny looks form the sales girls at one place, but that was it.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
My wife and I were at the grocery store the other day and I was wearing one of my hats. While we were shopping my wife said, "that guy over there keeps staring at your hat". I told her he probably has one at home and wished he wore it now.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
BegintheBeguine said:
Oh. They must update the site to show all the latest celebrity gossip. Well, the video did indeed have all of the dumb comments on it, and Mickey Dolenz did handle the idiots with aplomb. And this is the image I had in mind, memorable from the film Monterey Pop. http://www.emptymirrorbooks.com/keenan/c1967-8.html

Was Brian there or did the Stones show up too late for Monterey Pop? There is a story there right?

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Joe_Frances said:
Thanks for your welcome. I am looking forward to participating in these fora, but I have to say, it's going to take me awhile to get my bearings. There's so much info, and so many posts to catch up on...

I would assume that the disappearance of our cultural mores and the style of our forefathers, particularly in hats and clothing, has been well considered here. It is, however, a big question. So many people have opined that the near demise of the hat came with the JFK era, and the cult of youth eschewing hats and all things "conventional". Of course, the return of hats, a micro-mini-trend if there ever was one, has got to be counter-cultural itself, i.e., going against the now established indicia of youth and rebelliousness. None of the photos of young guys I've seen wearing hats were well dressed, quite the opposite. The red or blue stingy brim or porkpie have found a place in the new grub-meets-downtown affect.

From where you mind is going in that little thread your are gonna feel right at home around here mate! Welcome to the Madhouse!

The Outlaw Kyle said:
Just the other day, I went to the mall for the first time while wearing my hat. It was odd, because now for the most part, I don't even notice it anymore. I was a little more self conscious about it because it's such a "youthful" place, and the need to fit and make fit is strong with kids. I got some funny looks form the sales girls at one place, but that was it.
Very true for the kids, as the Rush song says: "Conform or be cast out!"
Out here in Southern California I seem to notice the conformity of teenagers, high school students a bit more than I recall back east. For the girls it really seem to be high pressure the need for dressing within a certain style, having their hair a certain way, wearing their make-up a certain way. It also seems to be MTV / TV /celebrity driven more so these days. It also depends on their selection of "group" they wish to be associated with.

There was a thread a while back about how far out of the current style can you be before things get ugly and it just dawned on me that the age thing makes a big difference for some people. We can say that in someways as we get older we may become more tolerant perhaps. Children to college age people can be extremely cruel to those that don't conform.

Hence the stupid comments.

Although a young girl around six or seven yo saw my fedora and thought it was a cowboy hat, so she asked if I owned a horse, to which I said sadly no.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
I recieved my first "pimp hat" comment about two days ago from a co-worker.

I work in retail sales and wasn't sure I'd be allowed to wear a hat at first ... so she had seen me for a few weeks without one. One day I decided to throw caution to the wind by wearing my Akubra Fedora and "pimp hat" was the first comment I heard.

Thanks a lot, ma'am.

LindyTap

Familiar Face
I got Jusin Timberlake the other day. You might suspect that I was wearing my black stingy brim, but no, I was wearing my brown pork-pie. I've never seen Mr. Timberlake wearing one of those that I can remember.[huh]

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
Although a young girl around six or seven yo saw my fedora and thought it was a cowboy hat, so she asked if I owned a horse, to which I said sadly no.
I was asked that same thing by a little boy in line at the grocery store the other day! lol I was also sad to tell him I don't have a horse. :( Those types of comments, of course, are never unwelcome.

:eek:fftopic: (because it wasn't a dumb comment, just an observation) I had an interesting experience last night. I was buying a bottle of whiskey, and in had in my hand a bottle of Bushmills 10 year single malt. The clerk, who hadn't been particularly talkative when I asked where the whiskey was located, looked very pointedly at the bottle, then suddenly engaged me in conversation about my hat! I had the distinct impression that my choice in whiskey gave me some sort of credibility, and that if I knew whiskey I must also know hats.

Jerekson

One Too Many
Jovan said:
I don't look like Christian Bale just because I wear a tie, wool coat, and comb my hair. :rolleyes:

Of course you do, stupid!

Definitely one of the sadder conflicts in society. During my earlier high-school days a guy tried to start a fight with me because he said I looked like a lawyer. I remember exactly what I was wearing that day - a black mechanics jacket with paint stains on it, a shrunken t-shirt, a pair of field pants with holes in them, and my beat-up black oxfords. My hair was parted like always.
He said that it wasn't normal that I dressed so nice everyday. I proceeded to show him the holes in all of my clothing.
A few moments more of immature comments and my comebacks, he reveals to me that he is "drunk as hell". I'm not exactly sure what he thought this revelation would accomplish, but I said something back along the lines of, "I can quite clearly see that". At this, he threatens to kill me and gets out of his chair. I also stood up because quite franky, I don't want to be sitting down when someone attacks me. At this point the student behind me, who knew me previously, said "I wouldn't do that, dude. This is one of those kids that you don't think anything of at first, then he'll kick your ass once you try t start something with him." I guess that must have done something because the guy didn't bother me anymore for the remainder of the year, although he shouted "Hey lawyer" across the room once upoon my enterance.

Must have been the hair [huh]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925