Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Maguire said:
As long as they aren't knocking it off your head or horsing around, consider it a positive.

Shocked?
Never.
But "consider it a positive"?
I hardly think that remarks intended as insults should be taken as a good thing.

Jerekson

One Too Many
Recently I was being harassed for wearing my brown Akubra.

I was walking down the road of a campsite I was visiting, around sundown time. There was a camper above me on the hill (the road was in a sort of mini valley type thing). There was one guy sitting in a lawn chair looking over the road and before I hit the curve to walk away I saw about 30 beer cans all over the site.

I saw it coming when one guy made a comment. He said, "hey look at that quirky hat guy" and immediately started bubbling at his own hilarity.

He then followed up with "Who's holding your whip?" Which was also pretty funny, apparently.

He went in the camper and told his friends, and they all came out. A particularly shrill-voiced woman started repeating the word "Indiana". After about 8 times of sayingthis the first guy starts joining in, and the others (probably about 3-5) did the same. After about 30 seconds I had about 7 people yelling at the tops of their lungs, "INDIANAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!"

One of these guys runs back into the camper and comes out with a megaphone. He powered it up really loud and starts going "INDIANA JONES INDIANA JONES INDIANA JONES".

This made them all laugh harder than I have ever seen someone laugh before. You could have sworn that Bill Cosby and Jerry Seinfeld had just gotten in a slap fight before their eyes.

I made it to the bathrooms and went around the corner.
When I got back to the campsite my friend had arrived after going to the beach to find some driftwood and had just gotten back around the same time I did. First thing he says to me - "did you see the drunk people with the megaphone?" They had been harassing him about carrying a piece of wood down the street. [huh]

Personally I believe that innocence is the best way to react to stupid things like this. When somebody calls me Indiana Jones, my trademakr comeback is "What the heck is an Indiana Jones?" (I beleive someone here also uses this with me). It makes the offender feel like an idiot for assuming I know what he's referring to. Of course, when they are drunk it sort of defeats the purpose, but for my own satisfaction I did the usual.

They yelled at me for about 40-50 seconds and said Indiana about 25 times. Did I turn around, or acknowledge them in any way whatsoever?

Not once.

Jerekson said:

I was walking down the road of a campsite I was visiting, around sundown time. There was a camper above me on the hill (the road was in a sort of mini valley type thing). There was one guy sitting in a lawn chair looking over the road and before I hit the curve to walk away I saw about 30 beer cans all over the site.

I saw it coming when one guy made a comment. He said, "hey look at that quirky hat guy" and immediately started bubbling at his own hilarity.

He then followed up with "Who's holding your whip?" Which was also pretty funny, apparently.

He went in the camper and told his friends, and they all came out. A particularly shrill-voiced woman started repeating the word "Indiana". After about 8 times of sayingthis the first guy starts joining in, and the others (probably about 3-5) did the same. After about 30 seconds I had about 7 people yelling at the tops of their lungs, "INDIANAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!"

One of these guys runs back into the camper and comes out with a megaphone. He powered it up really loud and starts going "INDIANA JONES INDIANA JONES INDIANA JONES".

This made them all laugh harder than I have ever seen someone laugh before. You could have sworn that Bill Cosby and Jerry Seinfeld had just gotten in a slap fight before their eyes.

I made it to the bathrooms and went around the corner.
When I got back to the campsite my friend had arrived after going to the beach to find some driftwood and had just gotten back around the same time I did. First thing he says to me - "did you see the drunk people with the megaphone?" They had been harassing him about carrying a piece of wood down the street. [huh]

Personally I believe that innocence is the best way to react to stupid things like this. When somebody calls me Indiana Jones, my trademakr comeback is "What the heck is an Indiana Jones?" (I beleive someone here also uses this with me). It makes the offender feel like an idiot for assuming I know what he's referring to. Of course, when they are drunk it sort of defeats the purpose, but for my own satisfaction I did the usual.

They yelled at me for about 40-50 seconds and said Indiana about 25 times. Did I turn around, or acknowledge them in any way whatsoever?

Not once.

I have no idea what an Indiana Jones. Is it the type of beer they got drunk on? ;) :p

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Thats why I don't drink.............I am fully capable of saying stupid things sober. I have yet to get any comments about my hats except me and the boy getting addressed with a 'howdy cowboys' from a Safeway employee. I was in my grey whippet and my son in his Indy hat. She acted like she wished she could take the remark back after it was blurted out. I felt bad for her misplaced and achward comment as it was pretty loud and twangy and we were walking by looking elsewhere and at quite a distance away. [huh]

Splitcoil

One of the Regulars
Many dumb ones over the years

This past winter, a female coworker saw me on the street in my peacoat and black Stetson Chatham. She looked me up and down.

"Are you a spy?" she asked.

I looked her up and down.

"Are you a hobo?" I countered, and walked on.

And years ago working as an investigator, I used to get stupid comments all the time. One subject I brought in for a sit-down wouldn't stop going on about the hat, how weird it was to wear one, why would a guy wear one, Elliott Ness this and that, blah blah blah, until I finally put my hand up and said "Why don't we finish up talking about your drug and wife-beating problems, and then we can talk about my hat problems?" That put things in perspective for him pretty quickly.

Another common one I got back then, while standing in the rain, taking notes during interviews and wearing a hat which kept both my head and my notes dry, was the simple and stupid question: "Why are you wearing a hat?" This, out in the open, in the rain, with the temperature in the 30s or 40s. "Because I am not livestock," I would say, looking at their soaked, hatless heads. "I am a man."

The key thing to remember about these people is that they left their house without a hat that morning. So automatically, they don't know what they're doing.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Splitcoil said:
This past winter, a female coworker saw me on the street in my peacoat and black Stetson Chatham. She looked me up and down.

And years ago working as an investigator, I used to get stupid comments all the time. One subject I brought in for a sit-down wouldn't stop going on about the hat, how weird it was to wear one, why would a guy wear one, Elliott Ness this and that, blah blah blah, until I finally put my hand up and said "Why don't we finish up talking about your drug and wife-beating problems, and then we can talk about my hat problems?" That put things in perspective for him pretty quickly.

Another common one I got back then, while standing in the rain, taking notes during interviews and wearing a hat which kept both my head and my notes dry, was the simple and stupid question: "Why are you wearing a hat?" This, out in the open, in the rain, with the temperature in the 30s or 40s. "Because I am not livestock," I would say, looking at their soaked, hatless heads. "I am a man."

The key thing to remember about these people is that they left their house without a hat that morning. So automatically, they don't know what they're doing.
lol lol

Maguire

Practically Family
Lefty said:
Shocked?
Never.
But "consider it a positive"?
I hardly think that remarks intended as insults should be taken as a good thing.
I mean, they should be taken lightly, in good fun. If someone sees my pinstripe and says hey are you in the mafia i give a good laugh. Why not? It could be worse.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Maguire said:
I mean, they should be taken lightly, in good fun. If someone sees my pinstripe and says hey are you in the mafia i give a good laugh. Why not? It could be worse.

Again, it depends upon the tone.
If the tone is insulting, I will not "consider it a positive".
The fact that it "could be worse" doesn't make it better, or even acceptable.

If someone punches you in the nose, should you "consider it a positive" because "it could be worse"?

After all, you could have been stabbed or shot.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jerekson said:

He went in the camper and told his friends, and they all came out. A particularly shrill-voiced woman started repeating the word "Indiana". After about 8 times of saying this the first guy starts joining in, and the others (probably about 3-5) did the same. After about 30 seconds I had about 7 people yelling at the tops of their lungs, "INDIANAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!"

One of these guys runs back into the camper and comes out with a megaphone. He powered it up really loud and starts going "INDIANA JONES INDIANA JONES INDIANA JONES" ...

... Personally I believe that innocence is the best way to react to stupid things like this ...

The BEST way to react is to wait till those drunk maggots are all passed-out asleep in their camper. Then hook up to their camper, tow it to the edge of the lake, and give it a big push into the water (Note: drunk maggots rarely ever float.) . :D

I really despise stupid, drunk, maggots ... :rage:

Splitcoil said:

Good ones all around there. :p :D

Maguire

Practically Family
Big Man said:
The BEST way to react is to wait till those drunk maggots are all passed-out asleep in their camper. Then hook up to their camper, tow it to the edge of the lake, and give it a big push into the water (Note: drunk maggots rarely ever float.) . :D

I really despise stupid, drunk, maggots ... :rage:

That's quite the Patrick Bateman solution if you ask me. I approve :eusa_clap

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Yep! Drunken de-evolved monkeys, everyone of them.:kick:
I swear society as a whole is de-evolving as fast as the polar ice caps are melting. A couple of more generations they'll all be back in the trees again. Then those of us who continule to evolve will still be wearing our hats to keep them from flining their matter at us.

"Little boys wear caps, real men wear hats."

Love the livestock comment. (How to serve man). :cheers1:

Cheers!

Dan

DerMann

Practically Family
Back when I used to live in my old house, I came home from school after wearing a topper and lounge suit to school. I passed by my neighbour's house and he stopped me and asked me why I was dressed like a chimneysweep.

Really?

A chimney sweep?

This was after a day of people asking why I was dressed as Abraham Lincoln. I guess it's nice to have a little bit of variety?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn