Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Boy, this thread is reminding me of the Ladies of the Lounge thread.

Both continually amaze me.

Except with that thread, I am continually delighted.

With this, continually disgusted.

Yes, Daniel, there are some real chimps out there.

charlie farley

One of the Regulars
My first posting

Hi folks,
I am so glad I found this forum I have thought for a long time when watching old movies that it would be great if fedoras and 1930s and '40s style suits had never gone out of fashion. While I will definately be buying a custom made 40s style suit I unfortunately do not have the courage to wear a fedora.In Scotland where I live, it rains so often I'm shure the locals in this town are born with webbed feet! lol . I use an umbrella but would love to wear a fedora (Hark, is that the sound of a recording of "Scotland the brave" being smashed ? ) however, I haven't the nerve to wear one. Perhaps I may get one if I move to a city. I wear a black double breasted Canali overcoat in the colder months and I get told I look like I am in the mafia.I reply "Oh you mean like half of the men in Glasgow or Edinburgh?" I can just Imagine what it would be like if I wore a fedora.

A gentleman is someone who can play the bagpipes but doesn't.

Feraud

Bartender
Doran said:
With this, continually disgusted.

Yes, Daniel, there are some real chimps out there.
Talking chimps indeed. On an off-topic tangent I recently encountered a couple of young adults who totally butchered basic U.S. weights and measurements.
Can a young lady attending college possibly mistake 1/4 for 14 lbs? :eek:*yucky* :rolleyes:shakeshead :eusa_doh: [bad]

O.k.. back to topic.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
Geez, so much stupid, so little time. "Michael Jackson?! You mean the reporter from Britain?":rolleyes:
Hey, don't make me break out my mad Smooth Criminal dance moves.

Jerekson said:
Unfortunatly, once IJIV time comes about, any type of brimmed hat will be an Indiana Jones hat. NO EXCEPTIONS.
*sigh* Prepare yourselves, gents.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I (delightfully) forgot this comment from my older brother - who happens to be a douche - I was wearing a typical pencil skirt ensemble with a cardigan and matching top.

"Why do you look so wifey?"

Wifey translated to danish means a really old and boring looking woman.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Darhling said:
I (delightfully) forgot this comment from my older brother - who happens to be a douche - I was wearing a typical pencil skirt ensemble with a cardigan and matching top.

Wifey translated to danish means a really old and boring looking woman.
You did exact revenge on him right?:D

BigSleep

One of the Regulars

I can honestly say I have never seen a pencil skirt that looked "Wifey"!
(If you know what I'm sayin')

My dos centavos.

Orvil Newton

One of the Regulars
My wife's ex-husband (Before she divorced him and married me) once said "Only dweebs wear hats". He being six inches taller and a hundred pounds heavier than I, he's lucky he didn't say it in my presence.

Jerekson

One Too Many
Orvil Newton said:
My wife's ex-husband (Before she divorced him and married me) once said "Only dweebs wear hats". He being six inches taller and a hundred pounds heavier than I, he's lucky he didn't say it in my presence.

Yeah, that's the kind of guy that doesn't deserve to have a marriage in the first place.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
charlie farley said:
Hi folks,
I am so glad I found this forum I have thought for a long time when watching old movies that it would be great if fedoras and 1930s and '40s style suits had never gone out of fashion. While I will definately be buying a custom made 40s style suit I unfortunately do not have the courage to wear a fedora.In Scotland where I live, it rains so often I'm shure the locals in this town are born with webbed feet! lol . I use an umbrella but would love to wear a fedora (Hark, is that the sound of a recording of "Scotland the brave" being smashed ? ) however, I haven't the nerve to wear one. Perhaps I may get one if I move to a city. I wear a black double breasted Canali overcoat in the colder months and I get told I look like I am in the mafia.I reply "Oh you mean like half of the men in Glasgow or Edinburgh?" I can just Imagine what it would be like if I wore a fedora.

A gentleman is someone who can play the bagpipes but doesn't.

Mate you need to get yourself a dirty big Akubra that you can ponce around in and big note yourself that your got it Down Under when you were there during "the Wet season".

TBiley

New in Town
hargist said:
You told me about this, but I didn't hear it when it was said. I've been wearing suits with fedoras a lot more often lately and I have to say that the reaction has been overwhelmingly positive. I usually get at least one compliment a day, which is nice for the ego.

Thinking about it, I realized that I always wore clothes that were somewhat off the mainstream. Dressing as I do now in a classic style is simply a continuation of that. As our culture becomes more casual (even most corporations accept "business casual" as the normal dress code), I have chosen to go the other way and dress to the nines. It's a kind of rebellion against monoculture and in some ways is more radical than dressing punk, emo, goth, or whatever.

I'm still waiting for someone to make a crack about the way I dress to my face, because my response will be something like, "You're right. I'll rush right out and get a baseball cap with a Nike swooshstika on it and a $60 t-shirt with "Abercrombie" across the chest. Or maybe I'll get some $80 sweat pants with "Juicy" written on the butt. Now that's cool, and I want to be cool, right?"

lol That's my generation! They rebel against society by conform with the others. Just like what George Carlin said (paraphrasing, of course) "People used to get tattoos because nobody had them, now people gets tattoos because everybody has them."

The one of the stupidest comments came from a lot of people (calling me a "pimp"). But I think the stupidest comment is anytime when a person who looks at a hat from Hot Topic or Target and say, "nice hat." *yucky*

Maguire

Practically Family
Well to be fair (and i haven't read ALL 80 or so pages here) from what i've read, you can't be so shocked when someone notices a fedora. I oftentimes comment if i see someone wearing a fedora (something like that's a fine hat sir) etc. This is an age when the hat people put on most is a baseball cap if anything at all. A fedora, especially a good quality one is almost impossible to find for the vast majority of the population, especially younger generations. So its to be expected that they may gawk or make a comment. Take it in stride i say, it could be worse. As long as they aren't knocking it off your head or horsing around, consider it a positive.

Maguire said:
Well to be fair (and i haven't read ALL 80 or so pages here) from what i've read, you can't be so shocked when someone notices a fedora. I oftentimes comment if i see someone wearing a fedora (something like that's a fine hat sir) etc. This is an age when the hat people put on most is a baseball cap if anything at all. A fedora, especially a good quality one is almost impossible to find for the vast majority of the population, especially younger generations. So its to be expected that they may gawk or make a comment. Take it in stride i say, it could be worse. As long as they aren't knocking it off your head or horsing around, consider it a positive.

I don't think it is the comment part that is the problem. Its the Dumb comments that we can do without. :eusa_doh: :rolleyes:

Maguire

Practically Family
jamespowers said:
I don't think it is the comment part that is the problem. Its the Dumb comments that we can do without. :eusa_doh: :rolleyes:
I agree they tax ones patience but the point still stands, if you wear something that the average joe six pack doesn't, you're bound to get comments, be they eloquent or mind numbingly stupid. One shouldn't be shocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace