Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jamespowers said:
He'll be singing a different tune when you are sitting on your fortune and he wants to borrow money. ;) :p

Well, actually, he's REALLY good at soccer, and I'm quite sure he's gonna get into a better school on soccer scholarship alone (which is such bull). As much as I hate to say it, if Obama's plan for health care goes through, I may be asking HIM for money (I'm studying to go into the medical profession). I'm not being political, just stating a suspected outcome. That's not saying I won't be well-to-do, it's just that of the two of us, I'll be the one more prone to monetary loss (especially through lawsuit).

Whatever the case, I'm sure you'll hear more gems from my brother in the following weeks, months, etc...

Neophyte said:
Well, actually, he's REALLY good at soccer, and I'm quite sure he's gonna get into a better school on soccer scholarship alone (which is such bull). As much as I hate to say it, if Obama's plan for health care goes through, I may be asking HIM for money (I'm studying to go into the medical profession). I'm not being political, just stating a suspected outcome. That's not saying I won't be well-to-do, it's just that of the two of us, I'll be the one more prone to monetary loss (especially through lawsuit).

Whatever the case, I'm sure you'll hear more gems from my brother in the following weeks, months, etc...

As a doctor, I think you will be doing fine next to a soccer player in this country. lol ;)

Vic

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
I think that is what I refer to as the Ripped Sack Theory. They get an idea in their head and just can't keep it in---just like a ripped sack can't hold anything in. Let's face it, we all look at people and things go through our mind. The skill is keeping it to yourself and not making yourself look stupid. I suppose Ma said it best---"If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." ;) :p

Yeah, I generally agree with that saying... I'll happily say bad things to or about people who perpetrate and perpetuate atrocities...
But, on the basis of individuals who are minding their own business, I would pretty much never say anything unless I have something nice to say. Just don't see the point... We're all dealing with stuff, and no one needs strangers adding grief to their lives...life is hard enough without that nonsense.

KK

New in Town
Feraud said:
I have a good one.
A few years ago I was out and about in NYC with my wife and son. I was not dressed up, probably wearing pants and a button down shirt. I do not remember exactly what hat I was wearing but think it was a Homburg.
A woman walks up to us and asks me, "excuse me, are you religious?"

Maybe it wasn't the hat. Maybe she was just obeying the voices.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
While at the mall, one of my siblings told me that in the distance, there appeared to be a couple of hecklers, laughing at my general direction. He told me that they looked like they might cause trouble if they came close enough. I have no idea what they were wearing though. However, I was wearing my Federation at the time, a white-on-yellow checkered pattern short sleeve button shirt, and dark blue Levi 505 jeans, with a brown belt and leather shoes.

Apparently, to a couple of guys at least, I looked silly. This got me wondering if it was just the hat, or if the overall outfit had something to do with it. Does the outfit below look alright with a dark brown Federation, or downright tacky?

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy208/TheAntiquarian/DSC00189.jpg

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy208/TheAntiquarian/DSC00187.jpg

Excuse the bad cell-phone quality of the 'pics.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Neophyte said:
Looks fine to me...just jerks being jerks, I gues...you were at the mall, after all.

Yep, when it comes down to it, there's always going to be rude sorts like them out there. About the worst of it, in my opinion, was a "Yeehaw" shout on campus last semester, but this may rival that. I'm wondering if the untapered straight crown of Federations is a bit much "hat" now, though. I'll probably ask again in my thread devoted to my upcoming hat choice, but would an Akubra Stylemaster suit me more than a Fed? I have lost weight, and my face is not as broad as it once appeared to be, to an extent.

Tone

A-List Customer
I'm wondering if the untapered straight crown of Federations is a bit much "hat" now, though. I'll probably ask again in my thread devoted to my upcoming hat choice, but would an Akubra Stylemaster suit me more than a Fed? I have lost weight, and my face is not as broad as it once appeared to be, to an extent.

It isn't a bit much "hat" on the FED IV so much as it is a bit "too little" brim to go with it.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Tone said:
It isn't a bit much "hat" on the FED IV so much as it is a bit "too little" brim to go with it.

Ah, so you're saying the brim is a bit short, then? :D

I like wide brimmed hats, I really do, but I'm still trying to find something I would ultimately feel comfortable wearing on the streets; a near-perfect compromise between a wide brim, and a shorter one, that suits me well.

Tone

A-List Customer
Yes, well, I think you'll find a good balance for you between crown and brim on many Akubras.
Those varying models for different styles are what make them so nice.

Neophyte

I had a similar problem with that Squatter. It had a shorter crown than the FedIV, but a massive 2.88"x 3" brim. Now that I've trimmed it, I feel it is in perfect propotion.

I never wear my FedIV anymore for two reasons:

1.) I cannot, for reasons only known to God, seem to bash the hat in any other shape than the fudged-up one I had it in for about a 1.5 months. I hate the shape, and the dark brown isn't growing on me, either.

2.) My FedIV's brim came from Australia with a 2.32" x 2.56" brim. The brim is supposed to be 2.5" x 2.75", so you can imagine that on my Fed, the brim was waaaaaaaay too small.

I honestly think that, with open crown hats, there's no such thing as too much hat. Just rebash it, heighten the dome (unless you've got a center dent), and shorten the overall height of the hat.

MrBadExample

New in Town
J B said:
While at the mall, one of my siblings told me that in the distance, there appeared to be a couple of hecklers, laughing at my general direction. He told me that they looked like they might cause trouble if they came close enough. I have no idea what they were wearing though. However, I was wearing my Federation at the time, a white-on-yellow checkered pattern short sleeve button shirt, and dark blue Levi 505 jeans, with a brown belt and leather shoes.

Apparently, to a couple of guys at least, I looked silly. This got me wondering if it was just the hat, or if the overall outfit had something to do with it. Does the outfit below look alright with a dark brown Federation, or downright tacky?

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy208/TheAntiquarian/DSC00189.jpg

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy208/TheAntiquarian/DSC00187.jpg

Excuse the bad cell-phone quality of the 'pics.

Well, no offense intended, but that outfit really doesn't look right on you. I don't think the hat is the problem, though. Maybe tilt it a bit lower over your eyes, but it's okay. I think it's more the shirt that's doing you in there. The tucked-in short-sleeved button-down shirt, with the undershirt and the slightly too-long jeans, isn't doing you any favors.

Sorry, kid, but someone has to step up and be the jerk and tell you straight. Don't take my word for it, though; ask three lady friends for honest advice on how they think you should dress, and give very serious consideration to what they tell you.

A number of polite people are probably going to jump in now and tell you I'm full of it and that you look just fine, but at least think about it, okay?

Neophyte

Wear it however you want though, it's just two guys in a mall, not necessarily the knowledgeable standard of fashion.

I recommend developing a permanent glare, somewhat like this:

WillowGreenHat-1.jpg

You would not BELIEVE how effective that scowl is as a "jerk deterrent."

The Good

Call Me a Cab
MrBadExample said:
Well, no offense intended, but that outfit really doesn't look right on you. I don't think the hat is the problem, though. Maybe tilt it a bit lower over your eyes, but it's okay. I think it's more the shirt that's doing you in there. The tucked-in short-sleeved button-down shirt, with the undershirt and the slightly too-long jeans, isn't doing you any favors.

Sorry, kid, but someone has to step up and be the jerk and tell you straight. Don't take my word for it, though; ask three lady friends for honest advice on how they think you should dress, and give very serious consideration to what they tell you.

A number of polite people are probably going to jump in now and tell you I'm full of it and that you look just fine, but at least think about it, okay?

No problem! I actually wanted a very honest opinion on that. My jeans are a bit long, and I bought them this way with the intention to roll the cuffs, as if I had bought them near my correct size, they would sag anyway. Rolling cuffs isn't something I do all the time though. As for the short-sleeved button-down shirt being tucked in, for some reason I do this nearly all the time, with the exception being when I wear shorts. As far as the hat is concerned, I've always had a tendency to wear it rather high. Thank you for the constructive criticism.

Al Niente

Familiar Face
This thread was more fun when there were stories with witty comebacks rather than discussions about what was being worn at the time of the insult. I vote to get back to the main idea of this thread. The rest is :eek:fftopic: This use to be one of my favorite threads.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Al Niente said:
This thread was more fun when there were stories with things someone else thought of, after the fact, that would have probably caused you to get into a fight you would have lost.

FTFY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner