Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

HLSheppard

Familiar Face
I usually get 99% favorable compliments, however, once - one of my employees was walking out of work behind me (I was actually wearing my Art Fawcett Sportaire as opposed to an "Indy hat," but) and said (in a perfect movie accent):

"No time for love, Dr. Jones!"

Had he not done it so perfectly - I may have let it bug me! :D

maintcoder

A-List Customer
Things you don't want to hear when you announce your engagement...

1. My mom: "I thought you were never going to do that again!"
  2. Her mom: "Are you pregnant?"
  3. Her dad: "You obviously didn't listen to me when we had that conversation"
  4. Her sister: "Do you have anything else to tell me? Are you terminally ill?"
  5. My co-worker: "So does this mean you and insert ex-girlfriend's name here are through?"

You have to love people, they are very entertaining... lol

lindylady

A-List Customer
Why Women Shouldn't Wear Newsboys

Hi, guys,

This thread is hilarious, so I wanted to share my story. A few months ago, I had gotten up the nerve to wear a newsboy cap. To make it look authentic, I decided to pair it with wide leg trousers and a feminine sweater, as opposed to the low rise jeans and belly tops that most girls prefer. Someone in my law school looked at me, smiled, and said, "Oh, you're wearing a pimp hat." Excuse me? :rage: Ok, I realize that music videos are the source of "fashion" inspiration today, but do they really think the cap originated with that lowly profession? Pick up a history book, people. Sheesh :rolleyes:

Mindraker

Familiar Face
I called up a local hat store because I was interested in a panama hat. (I'm not in the same city where I bought my fedora, so I am starting again from scratch for shopping.)

Me: "Hello, I was wondering if you had any Panama hats."
A customer service woman answers, with a distinct North Carolina "Blue Ridge" redneck accent: "Is that a sports team?"
lol

Mindraker said:
I called up a local hat store because I was interested in a panama hat. (I'm not in the same city where I bought my fedora, so I am starting again from scratch for shopping.)

A customer service woman answers, with a distinct North Carolina "Blue Ridge" redneck accent: "Is that a sports team?"
lol

Clearly incompetent to be working in a hat store. A sports team!? :p :p lol

Regards,

J

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Well...there once was a tradition amongst Southern rednecks never to wear straw hats, no matter how miserably hot it got. Straw was associated in their minds with indolent and shiftless persons...or more pointedly, with persons who, whatever their work ethic, tended to wear their skins a shade or two darker than was fashionable.

In fact, before a redneck was a redneck, he was often called a "wool-hat."

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
John in Covina said:
The two questions are:

You would think of it as a wholely positive thing that others should enjoy. Here is where things get rocky, in the general populice the likes and dislikes run the gamat, the ability to understand let alone accept that some one might just happen to like and appreciate 1930's fashions is limited and for some might be a powerful enough stimulus to cause fights. (Again the bell curve comes into play here.) Acceptence is a key, for some, difference cannot be tolerated, is is seen as an afront or challenge to these people and they react to this type of thing as if you had spit in their face. Others may not be drawn to violence but still react to a challenge, others may simply have had a bad day and now see you as an easy target. Some minds are closed, others are open, but if the reaction is negative, chances are you could explain and argue until the cows came home, you can't argue this to the blindly non-appreciative, So don't waste your time, don't bother to engage unless harm is imminent, Flee if posible but protect yourself if necessary.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but words (names) will never harm me. This is true and needs to be restated, verbal abuse is not physical abuse, and not many places still have "fightin' words" statutes to allow the drubbing of a wise acre. Best to walk away when you can and not escalate the matter.

Now sometimes someone is being funny and although at your expense, sometimes you can give them a "funning" back without fear. THen feel free but use caution.

Some people may think you are doing something pretty cool, but because they don't know the subect well, may make a mistake, well that's the time is for light hearted correction not some dressing down because you now have a chip on your shoulder. Who knows how many comments that were meant to be positive were taken negatively?

Best of all is to be with others of a like mind that not too critical and appreciates what your are doing. To be with others that have knowledge and background on the subject, that will tuitor and share as they are best able.

So, wear what you want but be prepared to run fast, maybe even stand an fight, sometimes. Just try not to ruin your good clothes!

Best of luck and know that you are looking damn good!

I agree that most people do not mean to be mean spirited. In fact, I don't recall ever encountering someone who was offended or trying to be mean or put me down. Not that they are always trying to give the highest compliment, but they are trying to say, hey, I notice you are wearing someting different and it makes me think of something. I suppose they are even trying to join in the fun.

It is not completely their fault that we are offended or bothered by a reference to columbo or gangsters.

When I wear vintage, honestly, I am only a few inches away from feeling silly, but I manage to stay on the right side of the line and really enjoy it. BUt if someone pushes me over the line with a comment it ends up making me feel not as confidant about what i am wearing, so that is why I don't like it.

Let's face it, what we do is silly, but also sublime. It is not rational or normal, and thank god for that. It is weird and narrow minded people will think we are weird, as in not normal. And it is true. What we do is a gift to ourselves and a gift to others and for the most part it gets a positive or neutral response. I guess we just need to not let it bother us and cut others a little slack. Again, I have never had someone react negatively or try to offend or criticize me with their comments.

Of course, my friend Roberto was walking down Haight strete one day in his usual attire of suit, hat overcoat, pencil moustach and two tone shoes, and some bums looked at him and said "You're living in a dream world." Without missing a beat he replied, "Yeah, and you aint in it." and kept walking.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Of course, if you ever want to get a positive reaction, just go to a black part of town or Latino. You will guaranteed get many compliments on your hat, sit etc. they are both more willing to talk to people, and more appreciative of dressing sharp as well as nintage style.

My favorite was the Latino guy, maybe about 25 who checkded out my suit and said in great homeboy accent, "My respect to you, homes."

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Lee Lynch said:
The only comment I've gotten so far was in line at the grocery store. The cashier beamed and said "your hat is so cool, my grandfather left me his and it's in mint condition". That was nice.

Did you ask her if she wanted to sell it? :)

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
dr greg said:
Once upon a time I had a ...'short term relationship' with a lady I'd met who was VERY involved in left-wing politics, (which is not under discussion, merely a scene-setting fact) and a collision of style occurred very soon after when I turned up at her fancy dress fundraiser for Cuba dressed in a white suit and panama hat with mirrored sunglasses and matching snakeskin boots and belt, in stark contrast to everyone else who took upon themselves the poncho and sandals look. I'll never forget her parting words. She yelled: "You, your hat, and your dog...get out of here!" I just love that. They can put it on my tombstone.

Hilarious. You simply must put that on your tombstone.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
dr greg, as you must by know have figured out, white suits do connote the exploiter of land and labor, or at least the soft privileged man who's too la-di-da to get dirty. Especially in self-consciously proletarian gatherings, they can be a real red flag. Personally, I only wear them in midtown Manhattan, the better to subtly flip off all the miserable, sweltering black-and-navy-clad capitalists.

Where was your dog? Was she implying you'd made the boots and belt out of him?

The Wingnut

One Too Many
reetpleat said:
Of course, my friend Roberto was walking down Haight strete one day in his usual attire of suit, hat overcoat, pencil moustach and two tone shoes, and some bums looked at him and said "You're living in a dream world." Without missing a beat he replied, "Yeah, and you aint in it." and kept walking.

Hah! That's Roberto, all right. Reetpleat, have we met? When did you move up north?

Mike Cash

New in Town
Kevin Popejoy said:
Hi all, my first post here. Not too long ago while wearing my akubra, a teenage girl met me on the street and gave me a sotto voce "yeehaa". Got my back right up...especially considering what she was wearing; one of those belly shirts with kind of a muffin top thing going. Yikes! k

You should have walked over with a smile and gently poked a finger into her belly, while making that cute little giggle the Pilsbury Doughboy makes.

PeeWee

One of the Regulars
Mindraker said:

lol

Excuse me....but you might be stepping on some toes here:) Exactly what is a distinct NC "Blue Ridge" redneck accent? I'm afraid if you heard me speak on the phone you might say the same thing about me...but it'tant the case a'toll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran