Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feraud

Bartender
I was out Saturday evening with Senator Jack and MrBern. It was about 15 degrees and windy in NYC.
We we visited three bars and received a few questions about our hats.
The questions ranged in tone from favorable, negative, to downright confusion.
My favorite was the young lady who muttered to her friend, "Oh my god" while gaping at us bleary eyed from too much bad drink.
The crowd in attendance could probably not spell fedora, let alone consider wearing one. Ah youth..

Phil

A-List Customer
reetpleat said:
I would think that anime, with its strong film noir aesthetic, would have it's share of fedoras, but I don't know. they should.

I think they expect a large lip up in back. I don't think they know what a real fedora looks like. I can't seem to find a picture, but in the cartoon fairly Odd Parents, the main character, Timmy, wears a fedora in one episode and the back brim comes up to around the middle of the crown. I think that's what they're looking for.

s7eng

New in Town
Just the other day I got asked if I got a job with the FBI. I was wearing about the same clothes as seen in my avatar.

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
I got the same comment the first time our receptionist saw me in a hat and overcoat..., "You look like you work for the FBI or something." I'll take that as a positive.

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
Dumbest/Funniest Comment

I called Burlington Coat Factory this afternoon to see if they carried fedoras and find out if they have any left. I had to try my hardest not to laugh over the phone. Here is the conversation:

Me: Hello, could you tell me if you carry fedoras in your men's hat section?
Lady at Burlington: A what?
Me: A fedora, it's dress hat
Burlington: Silence
Me: It looks kind of like a small cowboy hat; it has a brim that goes all the way around the hat. They're usually made out of wool or fur felt.
Burlington: Oh, like a leprechaun hat!
Me: Brief silence while I registered what she had said...leprechaun. I tried to suppress a laugh and said, "yeah, sort of".

I stopped in a couple of hours later and picked up my new leprechaun hat.

SinatraStyle said:
I called Burlington Coat Factory this afternoon to see if they carried fedoras and find out if they have any left. I had to try my hardest not to laugh over the phone. Here is the conversation:

Me: Hello, could you tell me if you carry fedoras in your men's hat section?
Lady at Burlington: A what?
Me: A fedora, it's dress hat
Burlington: Silence
Me: It looks kind of like a small cowboy hat; it has a brim that goes all the way around the hat.
Me: Brief silence while I registered what she had said...leprechaun. I tried to suppress a laugh and said, "yeah, sort of".

Well, faith and begallra! Can I pay for this hat with me gold? :rolleyes: :p

Regards,

J

RadioHead

Familiar Face
Not exactly dumb comments, but...

Several weeks ago I was in my local grocerateriemporium (supermarket), wearing my spiffy "Bogart" fedora. I walked past a couple of very young teenage boys- heck, maybe even pre-teens- and I heard one of them say (not to me, but to his friend) "Cool hat! Looks like a gangster!"

A few days later I was in a local shopping mall, and ahead of me was one of the seemingly-omnipresent and much-mentioned "hulking teenage boys" of our society. He was easily 6 ft 2 in tall, was wearing the mandatory too-large pants, a slightly-too-small leather frock coat, and a baseball cap which was not only of a team which has no relation to our town, but which was also tilted and turned on his head in a manner which makes me think they should put instructions on the inside of caps... and was- of course- swaggering in a very "look at me, I'm a big hulking teenager" manner. Anyway, about half-way up the escalator, he turned around and looked at me. His only comment was "Nice hat; I like it." To which I replied only "Thanks". What else was there to say, after all?

Two weeks ago I was a pallbearer at the funeral of my late father's last remaining sibling, my dear old Aunt Gertrude who died at the age of 94 years (and 11 days). I was wearing a black suit, black fedora and a long, black overcoat. Just before the hearse was opened at the cemetery, my brother looked at me and said: "You look like you're in the mob". I told him there is no mob, and that if he continued to talk like that... I'd have to kill him. :)

"RadioHead"

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
SinatraStyle said:

I gotta stop reading this stuff at 5:30 in the morning. I laughed so loud I woke up not only my wife, but the neighbors next door.

Chanfan

A-List Customer
So far besides positive comments - of which I get at the rate of about one a week or so, I've gotten one "hey, it's Dick Tracey" from one of the Partners at my office. Not too bad.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I got a "Crocodile Dundee" comment form a older woman at bowling league. What I find funny is I was wearing my Akubra Federation that day, but I own a Akubra Down Under that IS the hat worn by Paul Hogan in the movie......... I dont know what's worse, the fact I know that, the fact I own the hat, or the fact I find that funny.....

duggap

Banned
I have enjoyed reading this thread but never contributed because I just hadn't had a good dumb comment, until now. The oriental man taking my money at the restaurant looked up and said "you look like Louisiana Jones." I just wonder if Louisiana Jones was a hat wearer. :eusa_doh:

luvthatlulu

Suspended
The next time anyone makes a stupid remark...

about your lid--smile, then ask them in your best condescending tone, "Now, if I throw a stick, will you fetch it?" ;)

johnnycanuck said:
I got a "Crocodile Dundee" comment form a older woman at bowling league. What I find funny is I was wearing my Akubra Federation that day, but I own a Akubra Down Under that IS the hat worn by Paul Hogan in the movie......... I dont know what's worse, the fact I know that, the fact I own the hat, or the fact I find that funny.....

That's not a knife. This is a knife. :p ;)

Regards,

J

AcmeNews

New in Town
Lame comments

I know I haven't been on here in a while, but I had to add to this. Forgive me if I sound frustrated.

It's sad that people can't wear hats without jokes. I do get a lot of people telling me that a I look good with a hat; that it's natural.

But I get tired of the "G-Man," "Gangster," "Pimp" comments. i know some guys who wear hats for a specific, Hollywood-esque effect. I wear mine because I like how I look and feel when wearing them. It's a gentlemanly thing to do, and more men in our country (especially St. Louis) could use some lessons in the manners of the gentleman.

The one redeaming factor of getting the "Gangster" comment is that I can look tough if necessary. With one lazy eye (the result of a knife wound inflicted in part by a female [another story for another day]), I can sometimes glare at them and scowl "what do you mean I look funny?"

So far, I've never been mugged while wearig a fedora. I wonder if it matters that I live in the old Italian section of town.

hargist

One of the Regulars
Gangster Comments

On Tuesday, I was wearing this suit.

kali_tom.jpg

Granted, it's a black pinstripe suit. Not the boldest pinstripe, but it's a pinstripe. I was wearing this suit with my new light gray fedora, a pink shirt and matching tie.

Twice that day I got gangster comments. One I overheard at Nordstroms from two wisecracking twenty-something store clerks. They were chuckling to themselves while one "dude" was doing an Edward G. Robinson imitation, saying "Yeah, see?"

I should have bet them 20 bucks that they couldn't name the person they were imitating. I have a feeling I would have won the bet.

Then walking home from Nordstrom, some lady waiting for a bus held out her hand asking for change, and then mumbled something about John Gotti.

I knew something was going on that night when I was being hassled by a panhandler. I wonder if it was a full moon?

hargist said:
On Tuesday, I was wearing this suit.

kali_tom.jpg

Granted, it's a black pinstripe suit. Not the boldest pinstripe, but it's a pinstripe. I was wearing this suit with my new light gray fedora, a pink shirt and matching tie.

Twice that day I got gangster comments. One I overheard at Nordstroms from two wisecracking twenty-something store clerks. They were chuckling to themselves while one "dude" was doing an Edward G. Robinson imitation, saying "Yeah, see?"

I should have bet them 20 bucks that they couldn't name the person they were imitating. I have a feeling I would have won the bet.

Then walking home from Nordstrom, some lady waiting for a bus held out her hand asking for change, and then mumbled something about John Gotti.

I knew something was going on that night when I was being hassled by a panhandler. I wonder if it was a full moon?

I like the answer given previously. "There is no such thing as the mob. If there were then you really wouldn't want to know." Then give them the scowl and look tough. ;) I doubt they will say anything more.

Regards,

J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo