Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Elephant in the Room - Man Purse

Aquia33

One of the Regulars
Helps keep it's shape...

Paisley said:
Do those leather straps at the bottom serve a purpose, or are they for looks? I don't like menswear with unnessecary decoration attached. I don't even like very much of it on women's wear.
I use that bag for my traveling toiletries, the straps help keep it upright on a hotel room sink and helps maintain shape with aftershave bottles, shave cream etc bulging the sides.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
There was a piece on TV not too long ago about the "man purse". They showed several men with suitably manly-looking shoulder bags of leather or heavy canvas, which were used to carry their notebooks, cell phones, paperwork, cameras, etc. Then, there were a few "men" :p that were carrying what could only be described as "purses"...one went so far as to carry his cell phone and stuff in a strapless "clutch" bag :confused:

My work doesn't require me to carry any of this stuff. My pockets serve to carry my keys, billfold, two knives, and an ink pen. Now, when I'm out in the woods...
IM000210.jpg

I have a different shot bag that I carry now and a different horn too. Carries extra flints, balls, patching, powder measure, a tin of grease, a small can of oil, two screwdrivers, and a compass.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I sure would like to find a reasonably priced replica of the WW2 AAF Case, Navigation, Dead Reckoning, with the push button latch and straps. My original is moth eaten in the leatherette gussets and is missing the loops for the straps.

navbrief.jpg

poetman

A-List Customer
I actually have a really cool brown leather bag, which is a soft leather, smaller briefcase. It was my father's from a while ago, and when we moved once, he gave it to me. (I don't have a camera so I cannot post a picture.) I have long grappled with this "man purse" dilema. As modern society affords man more bulk: wallets, cell phones, pens, moleskins, and other personal oddities, man is left with incredibly bulky garments or no place to store his belongings. I don't think I could carry a European style handbag--not because of feminine notions, etc, but simply because it would bother me to have my hands always tied up. I do however, think that the current storage issue plagues a lot of men. I try to downsize: I carry a money clip with a few neccesary cards and cash, a slim phone, a fountain pen, and on weekends, for errands, the moleskin. I would use a bag for trips, or events to where I am bringing papers.

art92101

One of the Regulars
Possibles bag

Fatdutchman, that looks like a possibles bag. I have looked them up in the past and find them to be more authentically manly than most man bags. However, I never took the plunge. I do have an assortment of bags and the one I use most is a Timbuk2 small commuter bag. Not because of looks but because it will carry all i need in the field. Binoculars, camera, water, lunch, bird guide etc. On travel I usually take a messenger because it will hold more. like a jacket for changing conditions. I find man bags kind of hat fedoras...at first it feels like people are looking at you, but you get over it and quit caring what others think.
I am going to take a look at the filsons.
I would recommend anyone in search of a bag to search under "possibles bag" they come in a variety of styles from raw and rustic to early industrial age refined. Plains Indian to Haversackish

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Kodiak said:
Does anybody know of a link to a leather satchel that I might be able to buy at a relatively decent price? I've seen the one from J. Peterman, and this one from Duluth Trading Co. There is also this one from Duluth Trading, too.

Anything else ya'll might know of?

Regards,
-Kodiak

The Peterman one is a whole lot cheaper now but the plumbers bag looks awesome. Satchels are big in Aussie now and my wife bought me one for Xmas. It looks great and was made in Turkey of good leather

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
Many of us 18th century people wince at the phrase "possibles bag"...

"shot bag, shooting bag, hunting bag, shot pouch, etc."

There's a company I THINK called Leatherman that makes the 19th century German style hunting bags (some with the hair on the flap). They're quite attractive, and some of their offerings might actually suit some of the folks on this board.

griffer

Practically Family
I looked at all these links and I keep coming back to Custom Hide.

They have GREAT looking bags and I havbe positive comments on this board regarding their quality.

My next bag will be a custom hide.

Another vote for Custom Hide

griffer said:
I looked at all these links and I keep coming back to Custom Hide.

They have GREAT looking bags and I havbe positive comments on this board regarding their quality.

My next bag will be a custom hide.

I purchased a customized laptop 1945 Army Briefcase from Custom Hide last year and it is the best bag I have ever bought. When ever I travel, which has been frequently, I am always stopped in airports, hotels, and even on Madison Ave by people asking me where I got the bag from. That being said, I am thinking about purchasing another even more customized 1945 Army Briefcase from them. Shhhh...Don't tell the wife! ;)

PR

griffer

Practically Family
Great thread!

Some thoughts- I am not batman, i will not clip things to my belt. I used to take my blackberry everywhere, but it is not 'empowering' to answer an email from someone 5 minutes after they send it on a Saturday afternoon. It's pathetic. I have better boundaries now. With that said, I tackle STUFF in a couple ways.

1- I always look for multiple internal pockets on my blazers and suits. I don't buy massive cell phones, size in my #1 determining feature.

2- I don't carry every key on my car key chain. I have a utility key chain and my car key and clicker on another key ring. I don't even carry my house key- I hide it outside.

3- I have multiple configurations for different applications, these build in layers on my primary kit- I have my phone, primary keys, benchmade knife, zippo, smokes and wallet on my person:

a. Work- Cordura, rugged Maxpedition Operator Tactical Attache, black. It's ugly, but it swallows all that i need for a traveling laptop case- I commute to NY, so I carry a bunch of stuff. But, it is my third line of gear. Book, ipod, headphones (2 types) water, sunglasses, surefire flashlight, automatic umbrella, more smokes, tickets, cards, second set of keys, plus laptop and work stuff.
b. Work- Second line, everything in pockets tailored in my suit. I add ID card, Blackberry to primary on person items above, leather folio. Basically, I drop the ugly bag and grab the minimum for actual meetings.
c. Going out- primary kit, plus cigarette case. that's it.
d. Adventuring (includes shopping, day traveling, small excursions in the larger vacation)- I use the the Maxpedition FatBoy Versipack S-Type. It's modular and works with the other Maxp gear I have. I hang cell phone case, mini digital cam, knife, and an expandable bag called a Rolly-poly. If i need more storage, I have a slightly larger messenger that I hang all the modular kit off of.
e. Traveling- in Europe, I added the CamelBak BFM. Worked like a breeze. Document storage, external pouches, integrated hydration bladder. My wife had a rolling suitcase, which I pulled/carried, and I was able to keep all my gear in the Camelbak, Versipak, and on my person in cargo pockets and my E.C.W.C.S. Parka. All layers, peel, drop and go.

Wish i had the pics of me storming Europe last year... ;-) Oh, and everyone- friends, my wife, bartenders- calls my Versipack a man-bag. Then I punch them.

The D.A.

Familiar Face
Yet another vote for Custom Hide

I have been nothing but pleased with my 1945 Army briefcase. It's a remarkable value, considering how well it's made and how nice the leather is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21