Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Elephant in the Room - Man Purse

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Whetstone said:
Here's what I carry, I made it after I saw the prices for Filson bags. Its all leather, hand stitched with waxed linen thread. The shoulder strap has a conquistador braid in the center to make it wide and comfortable. For days when I want to carry a journal or sketch book, camera, or lunch this is perfect. It also doubles as a shooting bag for carrying ammo and ear plugs and similar things when I go shooting.

47b7db20b3127cce83f650b46a4000000026100AcN2Ldy1atWJg

I missed this! Sweet!

Bebop

Practically Family
Mid-fogey said:
....Simplify. Carry less junk dadgummit. Next you'll be carrying a compact and calling it a european sumpin or other.

I couldn't have said it better. I can't imagine why I would need to have some sort of man-purse. I see some guys with these monsters attatched to their shoulders and wonder what they could possibly have in there. [huh] You need a camera, lunch, Ipod, sweaters, newspapers and magazines every outing? Sounds like a weekend to me. Then I could understand having some sort of carrier or backpack. The deal is that men don't need a lot of junk when going about their daily routine. At least that is how I thought it was. I suppose it goes along with the ipod-and-coffee-while-walking-around-in-a- daze look that I see in about 8 out of 10 men downtown. I am behind the times. [huh]

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I don't even like to carry a purse, and when I do I carry as tiny a purse as I can get away with, so I don't get it. What all have you got in there?

Lancealot

Practically Family
Mr_Misanthropy said:
You know, I really love these bags, but, I can't carry all that stuff around with me. I hardly carry anything in my pockets if possible. Cash, a house key, and a cell phone. Anything else is an encumbrance. I have an MP3 player I use for long walks, and a teeny tiny Kodak digital camera smaller than a deck of cards that I can tolerate in a pocket. I'm afraid I'd lose a bag somewhere. It would be nice to carry a few extra things though, especially if I could find one to hold my laptop and not look like a "laptop case".

I carry my laptop in a leather and canvas messanger bag.

VegasMike

One of the Regulars
For the most part, I'm rollin' like Steve, with one of these:

c1001.jpg

Cause it's like Jack's, and Jack is a MANLY MAN'S MAN. Which it makes it just that much less purse like :p

I usually have a laptop, or network cabling and testers, my ipod, my blackberry, a flashlight, business card case, wallet, sunglasses, or any combination thereof that might be handy that day. But I pretty much always have it, especially at work.

Fast

Familiar Face
Twitch said:
I guess I'm lost in the nomeclature distinction here. A "purse" bag for a man is not a briefcase or satchel or a laptop case, an equipment bag or a fanny pack. In the 1970s mostly black men used a dealy-o that hung over the shoulder and was 6" wide, 7" tall and relatively flat when empty but could expand to about 2- 2.5". Most adjusted the strap so that it was short and the bag hung in the armpit or slightly below but not down to the waist.

There were very few of these men's purses around. We carried as little as possible and put the stuff in our pockets. Very few men wore those little bags around our waists. It just was not that widespread. A friend of mine tried both bags for a short time, really hated the comments and looks, especially at work, and got himself a briefcase. They were far more common in catalogs and ads than on the streets.

Carpe Diem
Fast

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hey Bebop you're not behind the times. Beyond a slim laptop as about the largest thing one would carry I look at Whetstone's bag bulging with crap and have to wonder what the hell is going on...unless that's the mode when he's packed with guns, ammo and cleaning gear to go shooting.

I agree, if the Yuppies have to carry everything everytime you step out there is something strangely wrong.:whistling

Trotsky

A-List Customer
ProperRogue said:
Hey...That's my bag! Love it!

PR

Hey! My bag too! This thing is heavy, heavy duty and oh so academic. One question: would it be wise to get some pecards on it?

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a male friend who is diabetic and keeps all his needles, tester, insulin in his small, black discreet nylon bag. I asked him if he was ever tempted to get a bigger bag to store stuff in, and he replied that is exactly why he keeps a small bag to just hold the essentials - he is afraid he will be soon carrying a backpack or large bag to hold everything!

Obviously, he's been around me too long...

VB

Rufus

Practically Family
I draw comic books... and always carry a sketchbook,pens, and pencils.. so I keep them in an old gas mask bag I got from Alan E. of this parish. It also neatly fits comics in... which i invariably buy, to see what other artists are up to.

I've also got an A3 sized 'satchel'/manbag/bag for carrying art my brother made for me. it's great as unlike a folio the art sits in a profile position (as opposed to horizontal), and on the tube that can make a big difference between getting on/off, getting stuck, or getting your work crushed..

I try'n only carry utilitarian stuff, as I hate luggin' 'junk' about. (Which you always end up doing with a backpack, and you look like a tourist)

In the UK nearly everyone carries bags, as we're all public transport commuters, and no one bats an eyelid to a man carrying a bag.

A back pack in London marks you out as a visitor.

When ever I'm in the States people do snigger if you have a bag... Why? Maybe all the americans keep everything in their cars? ;-)

Or...deep seated male insecurities?

As an old punkrocker I've had my fair share of sniggers and jeers, so carying a bag was the least of my problems!

:) rufus... bag carrier

Edward

Bartender
Rufus said:
Or...deep seated male insecurities?

Based on the number of men out there who feel the need to make clear how unmanly they think carrying a bag is, and how they would never do it and don'tg see the point, I'm thinking this has a lot to do with it. As Bill said, "methinks the lady doth protest too much." ;)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The only people who have ever said peep about whatever gear-holding object I was carrying were my assistant (female) and my daughters. the former said "Anyone comment on your new purse?" and the latter said "DADDY HAS A PURSE!!!"

Kids are cruel.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I have a black Jansport briefcase-like bag I have carried on workdays for about a dozen years. The rest of the time, I use a black canvas shoulder-strap "ammo bag" I got from a local Army-Navy store for about $10. It's held up quite well for several years considering the price! (It seems just a little small sometimes, so I'll probably also get a sightly larger messager or paratrooper bag at some point.)

I later discovered that my ammo bag is made by Rothco, who seem to make the vast majority of military knockoff stuff you find at your local Army-Navy store. Check out this page from their (wholesale) catalog:

http://www.rothco.com/general/index.cfm/fuseaction/showitems/subcatid/186/prodid/112/from/left

(Mine is #2278)

Kevin Popejoy

One of the Regulars
scotrace said:
this. I'd carry this without a second thought:

b139.jpg

I've got this Duluth bag...carried it off and on for over a decade. It's been dragged across rocks, through creeks and brambles and just gets better with age. Makes a decent brief case as well. I also have one of Duluth's portage packs with an internal pack basket, used for the kitchen gear in the field. One of the best bits of kit I own. The kind of gear you pass on to the next generation.

Kevin

poetman

A-List Customer
Men's Shoulder Bag/Briefcase

I've seen some threads with a similar theme, and if this is redundant, please point me to the correct archive:

I would love to see photos and suggestions of some vintage men's over the shoulder bags/briefcases.

Thanks All!

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
It depends on the look you're going for. Obviously if you're dressier a briefcase or at the very least some kind of leather shoulder bag is a necessity. However, for a more casual look, might I recommend an M1936 Musette bag? My book bag in Junior High was such a beast and I loved it to death - quite literally. All the stitching ultimately tore out and I had to retire it - the bag itself was quite sturdy, however, and I'm sure it can be repaired if I take the time to dig it out.

Disclaimer: I'm 99% certain there's no way a "full size" laptop computer will fit in a musette bag, so if you're looking for a laptop case, this won't be helpful.

-Dave

musette_bag_m1936.jpg

poetman

A-List Customer
I'm looking for a vintage leather over the shoulder bag. I don't want anything casual or canvas. The bag doesn't have to be from the 40's but the older the better. Right now I'm just trying to get some ideas, so if anyone has one or has photos of one, I would love to take a look.

Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland