Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Elephant in the Room - Man Purse

LeeB

Familiar Face
Man Purse

"Murse" is an abhorrent term in my opinion. I carry a black leather briefcase that my wife bought me many years ago when I got my first real job. It does have a shoulder strap and I have to make use of it as I also have to carry another case with my laptop back and forth to the office.
A Murse sounds like some sort of genetically engineered mutant beast that should be shot on sight.

J. M. Stovall said:
My parents were cleaning out the attic and my dad found an old ammo bag, probably 60's era. It's all stiff, not brittle, but you know how that old military stuff gets, like it was left in the back of a Jeep for a few years and soaked up a bunch of dirt and oil. My question is how best to clean it, I was afraid I'd screw it up without getting some sage advice here first.

What is it made of? Leather can be carefully cleaned using Goop hand cleaner the non abrasive stuff. Goop is also pretty good at getting oil stains out of jeans.

Whetstone

New in Town
Here's what I carry, I made it after I saw the prices for Filson bags. Its all leather, hand stitched with waxed linen thread. The shoulder strap has a conquistador braid in the center to make it wide and comfortable. For days when I want to carry a journal or sketch book, camera, or lunch this is perfect. It also doubles as a shooting bag for carrying ammo and ear plugs and similar things when I go shooting.

47b7db20b3127cce83f650b46a4000000026100AcN2Ldy1atWJg

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I've never had the need to carry a bag of equipment around with me, unless it was camera equipment and I was on a photographic expedition of some kind.
Personally, I don't like to be encumbered with a lot of stuff, unless there is a valid reason for it. I am definitely a minimalist.

Funny but true for travelers.

A really funny reccomendation for camera or video equipment is to use the type of bag parents with babies carry the diapers and baby supplies in as it is not likely to be the target of theft.lol

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
John in Covina said:
A really funny reccomendation for camera or video equipment is to use the type of bag parents with babies carry the diapers and baby supplies in as it is not likely to be the target of theft.lol
Good idea. Also a good reason to carry a bag that has "Hello Kitty" or something on it. Ya might get some funny looks, but no one would be interested in what was in the bag. :)

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I guess I don't get it -- guys, you look much better carrying a stylish, utilitarian bag than you do stuffing your pockets full of junk. That could look really nerdy; a guy carrying stuff in his wife's purse is a big chicken. I cannot imagine that many wives would allow that and/or have room for anything.

First of all, it is a bag, not a purse. I don't even refer to the bags I carry as purses, mainly because most of them look like saddle bags anyway. I think folks who use terms like Murse or Man Purse or anything of that nature are just trying to find ways to keep men from using anything practical by frightening them about their own level of masculinity. Men do that to each other a lot.

That's sad. I see guys with bags, cases, briefcases, those neat old-time doctor bags and I think they look hip and cool.

Now, if you have money to burn, check out this site. I get the King Ranch catalogue; they are pricey but have really cool stuff -- saddle bags, ammo bags, briefcases, tote bags, cool leather stuff.

http://turntotexas.com/general_store/kingranch.php

If this doesn't work, Google King Ranch.

karol

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Steve said:
My bag isn't very attractive or stylish, but it is functional for my books, notebooks, sketch pads, and photographic equipment. Some of you might recognize it as the same model Jack Bauer carried on 24.

B000IS2BGK.01-A297CMH5CE4RPW._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V47559190_.jpg

Where'd you get that one Steve. I like it. I carry a replica of the MKVII bag, but it's small, and sometime I just need to carry bigger stuff.

Now maybe I'll be shot for this, but my MKVII is my man-purse. I know it. I accept it. I move on. I hate cluttered pockets, and if I could have less in them, I would. Still, I suck at traveling light. I like both hands free, so I don't carry a brief case. The stuff in my bag is stuff I might need, but if I know I won't, it stays in the car. That all, folks.
NB

Jerekson

One Too Many
I really like the look of that bag...very military-esque (probably because it's from the military)

Leading Edge

One of the Regulars
Check out this one.

MB5 said:
I have been trying to locate this bag for quite some time, and was wondering if anyone here can point me in the right direction.

I have seen some very similar ones posted in the past, but I cannot even find those now.

Thanks!

I just concluded a search for a bag with many of the same features as the one pictured. I finally found this medium field bag made by Filson's, a very reliable outfitter with excellent customer service. They also have a small carry-on bag that is a close match. I chose the field bag in otter green because I think the wrap zipper on the small carry-on will allow rain to get into the bag. However, the zipper has a lock which may be more important to you than it was to me.

The most significant difference between what you have and the Filson bags is the location for the attachment of the shoulder strap. Since I carry a lot of papers and books on a routine basis, I know that this is the weak point where rip outs, mangled attachments, bent out of shape hooks, broken latches, etc are most likely to occur - not to mention the very unstylish crimp it puts into the bag. Filson located the shoulder strap attachment on the back instead of the side of the bag, fashioned the attachment as a brass D-ring and latch hook assembly, and attached it to the bag by reinforcing the assembly with bridle leather. It not only makes more sense, it works. I can say from experience, the load carries a lot more comfortably whether on the shoulder or across the body.

All the fittings are brass and the straps are made of bridle leather. Those bridle leather straps are sweet from the very first use! :eusa_clap
Also, before assembly, the 22 oz fabric is soaked in a paraffin-based solution to make it water repellent. That and the design of the access to the main compartment of the field bags means no more soggy papers and damp crinkled edges to the pages of precious books and journals. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

It is without equivocation, the best bag I have ever owned - or ever expect to own.

Finally, I recommend their customer service - HIGHLY!
The bag has a lifetime warranty. Probably because I bought mine from an eBay seller as an NIB purchase, the hand-carry strap tore off on one side right at the line of stitching (in my limited understanding of these things that means dry rot). Since the bag was NIB and I knew what a great bag it was right from the moment I took it out of the box, I had sent in the registration card. Consequently, I called Filson's, spoke to a courteous service representative, sent the bag back for repair, and within ten days (long days I might add for the bag had become that indispensable!), the bag was back.

Check it out.

eniksleestack

One of the Regulars
Courier or Messenger Bag Suggestions?

I'm looking for a laptop/ courier bag that has a nice vintage look to it. Anyone have a suggestion for a nice, durable courier/ messenger type bag that doesn't look like most of the other ugly modern bags?

Kind of looking for a military look. Canvas or leather is fine. Cheap (under $100) is good too. :)

dostacos

Practically Family
go to Ebay and look for leather briefcases. sometimes you can actually find vintage WWII dispatch cases Black leather with 2 leather straps on the sides plus the buckle in the center. You can also find them in a brown leather like a teacher or businessman may have used.

Dan

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ebay is definitely a good option. Briefcases and bags are relatively undervalued there, IMO. Do an ebay search for "Korchmar". There is a Korchmar outlet (also selling Atlas and Schlesinger brands) that liquidates various of their models new at a good price. Take a look at their Korchmar Mailbag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner