Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Mar_6__1944_.jpg

("I don' caeh," fumes Sally, as she takes her seat on the outbound train. "Awlat trouble, an' we neveh even got t'see Joe! An' awl oveh'ra loada empty bot'ls!" "Ahhhh," shrugs Alice, "y'can't fawlt y'Uncle Frank f'bein' patriotic, now can ya? Goin' t'awla troubla c'lectin'nem bot'ls t'toin in f'salvage. T'ez a real shawrtage 'a bot'ls, y'know! Y'otta be proud'v'im!" "An'nem troopehs, actin' so funny 'bout 'it!," continues Sally. "T'ey hawl us inta t' station, awr t' barracks awr whateveh t'ey cawl it, an'na one in chawrge stawrts yellin' 'bout 'Frank 'T'Plumbeh' Leary! Frank 'T'Plumbeh' Leary! Like he was somebody famous a'sump'n! An'nen he gets awl p'lite tw'us, stawrts bowin' an' scrapin' an' 'pologizin' like I NEVEH seen no cawp do. What was T"AT awla 'bout!" "Welllll," jitters Alice, "I mean, you bein' awl dress't up like ya was, he musta figyehed YOU was somebody 'pawrtent too! 'Special afteh you said Uncle Frank was ya uncle an' awl." "An'nat ain' even true," shrugs Sally. "Not really, I mean, we jus' cawl'tim t'at, but I guess it was..." "Well, don' worry 'bout none'v'it now," insists Alice. "C'ept f' Uncle Frank gett'n soeh 'cause we blew out his tieh, no hawrm done. An'nat was a pretty swell cake, anyway." "Yeh," sighs Sally. "T'em troopehs ate it right down. I guess troopehs don' get cake much.")

A Stockholm newspaper reported today that former Finnish Premier Juho K. Paasikivi will leave for Russia within the next few days to begin negotiations for a separate peace. The United Press bureau in Helsinki, though not confirming the Stockholm report, stated that the peace crisis has reached "an extremely critical stage," with most newspapers, along with official quarters and political circles, suddenly refraining from all definitive comment on the situation. Reports last weekend had stated that Finland had decided to reject Soviet demands for the immediate internment of 100,000 Nazi troops in the country and the immediate withdrawal of all Finnish forces to the 1940 border between Finland and the USSR, but at the same time it was stressed that the Finns had no intention of breaking off the peace talks.

A report in the London Daily Mail asserted today that a group of prominent British financiers, businessmen, and members of Parliament have begun work toward a negotiated peace between Britain and Japan. "These mischievious gentry," charged a Mail editorial, "unless speedily dealt with, will be useful to fanatic Japanese generals, when the latter hide their swords and emerge in black frock coats as 'angels of peace.'" The editorial was published at a time when leading members of the Churchill government are reaffirming their determination to use "their full resources" against Japan, but the Mail asserted that "nervous diehards" continue to regard Japan as "a bulwark against Communism in Asia."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Mar_6__1944_(1).jpg

("Ahhh, that's what we need roit now," sighs Uncle Frank. "A good pitcharr aboot juvenoile delinquency!" "Don't you change the subject, Francis Leary," growls Ma, brandishing a bread knife for emphasis. "Th' very idearrr'a lett'n thim have that trook, KNOWIN' FOOL WELL thar was baaahttles in th' back! An' thin gett'n HAAALED in boi a STATE TROOPAR, moind ye! It's a woondar we're not AAHL IN JAIL!" "Ahhh, Nora," dismisses Uncle Frank with a beatific smile. "Ye get so warrked oop ovar noothin'. Noombar one, it wasn't me loan'd'm th' trook, it was James, an' Oi've aaahlready spook'n me moind t'him aboot it. Noombar two, tharrr's noo laww 'boot transpaaart'n empty bahhhtles." "An' what if Sally poot two an' two t'getharr!" interrupts Ma. "I've told ye toime an' again I don't waaant me only daaaghter invaalved in ANY'a this! Aaaaan she aint' stupid, Francis, she graduated Erasmus!" "Annnd noombar 3," continues Uncle Frank, raising a chubby finger to drive the point home, "th' captain a' that barracks is one a' me oooold friends fr'm th' ooold days, the KOIND of a friend who knoows th' value a' keepin' an oooold friend happy. An' quoiet." "Once again," grumbles Ma, "ye depend aaahn favaars fr'm ooold friends. Some day, Francis, ye gonna run oota oold friends, an' then..." "Oh," interjects Uncle Frank, glancing at his watch. "That remoinds me, Oi got to roon a little soomthin' oot to th' barracks there faarr me oold friend. A token of me gratitude, if ye will. Oi'll be aaahf then, doon't wait oop." Ma watches him exit, with a deep sigh. "I took bot'ls back t't'stoeh," comments young Willie, peeling the crust from a slice of bread."T'ey gimme six cents." "That's moor sense," sighs Ma, "thin some people...")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Mar_6__1944_(2).jpg

(Ever consider opening a candy store?)

The Eagle Editorialist closes the book on the life of executed gangster Louis "Lepke" Buchhalter by doubting that he, and his legacy of crime and violence, will be long remembered. "Other men died Saturday night," notes the EE, "in other places and with honor. One of these was worth a million Lepkes."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Mar_6__1944_(3).jpg

(Only eight more months to go.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Mar_6__1944_(4).jpg

(Well, at least it'll be nice to see Fitz again.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Mar_6__1944_(5).jpg

(How many proteges has Mary had, anyway? Leona Stockpool Blackston, Connie what'shername, Angel Varden, Patti Parker, and now Gypsy Monez. A defrocked heiress, a newspaperwoman, a movie star, a model, and a showgirl. Hey Mary, how bout helping out a tough, two-fisted WAC?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Mar_6__1944_(6).jpg

(Ask for Woozy parfum, eau de cologne, toilet water, and dusting powder at your nearest five and ten.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Mar_6__1944_(7).jpg

("Our Fighting Forces.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Mar_6__1944_(8).jpg

(Panel Two will be Exhibit A in Leopold Stokowski's lawsuit against Russell Stamm.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Mar_6__1944_(9).jpg

(AMERICA'S NUMBER ONE HERO DOG will see that the law is enforced!)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Mon__Mar_6__1944_.jpg

Hey, hey, hey -- shoes off the bedspread! You'll wear all the little puffs off the chenille!

Daily_News_Mon__Mar_6__1944_(1).jpg

Hey Flo, ever think of getting your thyroid checked?

Daily_News_Mon__Mar_6__1944_(2).jpg

OK, let's not see the charred corpse anymore.

Daily_News_Mon__Mar_6__1944_(3).jpg

For the last time, Mr. Gray -- GET OVER IT.

Daily_News_Mon__Mar_6__1944_(4).jpg

Convertibles are great for car pools -- look how many you can get in there with the top down!

Daily_News_Mon__Mar_6__1944_(5).jpg

"Oh? Which one?" "Ah -- um -- the -- ahh -- BIGG FILM CORPORATION! Surely you've heard of us!"

Daily_News_Mon__Mar_6__1944_(6).jpg

Popeye says HEY THATSK MY LINE!

Daily_News_Mon__Mar_6__1944_(7).jpg

"But fortunately I'm too smart for that!"

Daily_News_Mon__Mar_6__1944_(8).jpg

Plushie rides a Fixie? Hipster.

Daily_News_Mon__Mar_6__1944_(9).jpg

That's an unusual option -- must be one of those custom built jobs.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Ms Phyllis Brooks has a nice sofa snap but the lads would much rather she were starkers so to speak.;)
And Ms Johnson and Captain whomever his name seem to had an is-was-what-was-isn't.;)

Terrence, third panel ahem, Je pensais avoir une avance sexuelle de Mafalda.:oops:o_O;)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Mar_7__1944_.jpg

("Huh," huhs Alice. "Rudy Vallee gett'n divoehced." "Again," adds Sally. "I heeh," teases Alice, "you useta be t'at way 'bout him. I heeh you went t't' Paramount one time when 'e was t'eh, an' ya t'rew ya step-ins onna stage." "I DID NOT," huffs Sally. "B'sides, I was jus', what, 18 'nen? A kid does a lotta stupid t'ings when she's a kid. B'sides, I wen' offa Rudy Vallee a lawng time ago. R'membeh t'at Fay Webb t'ing? An' when he slugged t'em repoehtehs? Who needs 'at? Joe'sa kinda guy f'me -- quiet, min's 'is own business, don' get in no trouble. He's whatchacawl relaxin'. Oh, don' get me wrawng now, I still like Rudy Vallee's singin' -- why, he's a hunnet' times t'singeh t'en t'is punk Sinatreh, an' Dick Haymes, an' awlese guys. Crosby -- well, I guess he ain' so bad. Columbo -- well, he's dead now, so it don' matteh. But I'd rat'eh list'n t' Vallee any day'a t'week t'en lissen'a t'at Sinatreh moanin' an' wailin'." Alice makes no reply other than a bemused shake of her head. "What?" challenges Sally. "You ain' f'Sinatreh awrya? You ain' no bobby-soxeh." "Y'know, Sal," argues Alice, "what yawr prob'lm is? Y'don't keep up wit't' times. You don' like S'natria 'cause he wasn' aroun' when you was 18 yeehs ol', 'ta'ts awl yawr problem is. Now me, see, when I was 18 yeehs ol' t'eh I liked t' Silveh Mask Tenneh. But I bet if I had on'a his ol' reckids an' I listn't to it now, I'd say 'what was I t'inkin'.' Y'gotta move wit' t'imes, Sal. Y'gotta loin t'like S'natria." "If I ain' loin't t'like Billy Hoiman," growls Sally, "I soiteny ain' about t'like Sinatreh." "Sunnnnnnday," croons Alice, her eyes closed in rapture. "Munnnnnday -- awr Aaaaaaaahlwaaaaaays...."

American infantrymen from the Southwest Pacific, striking at the Japanese on the continent of Asia for the first time today trapped 2000 enemy troops in the Hukawng Valley. The American forces, swinging east and south, captured the village of Walawbum, 10 miles behind the Japanese lines, while Chinese forces in a co-ordinated attack struck deep into enemy territory to help them bottle up the remnants of a division that had helped conquer Singapore.

The Appellate Division today upheld the verdict against Jehovah's Witnesses in favor of Olin R. Moyle, former legal counsel for the Brooklyn-based sect, on the condition that Moyle accept damages of $15,000 instead of the $30,000 awarded last year by Justice Henry L. Ughetta in Brooklyn Supreme Court. Moyle sued the sect for libel due to statements published in the Watchtower magazine after Moyle had written a letter to Joseph F. Rutherford, now-deceased president of the organization, criticizing "loose conduct" in the so-called Bethel Home at 124 Columbia Heights, home to more than 100 sect workers. Counsel for Moyle presented evidence showing that the Watchtower articles called Moyle "a servant of the Evil One," and otherwise publicly humiliated him.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Mar_7__1944_(1).jpg

(Keep 'em -- uh -- flying....)

In Riverside, California an shooting rampage by a 33-year-old Army lieutenant that killed three, wounded five, and left the lieutenant himself critically injured, was blamed on his "unrequited love" for a "beautiful secretary." Lieutenant Beaufort G. Swancutt entered the Officers' Club at Camp Anza and opened fire on the room with his .45 caliber service pistol, killing 18-year-old Dorothy Evelyn Douglas, who had spurned his advances while working at the port of embarkation where he used to be stationed. Also killed was Miss Douglas's dinner companion, 18-year-old Lourdine Livermore. Lt. Harry J. Light, described as Swancutt's buddy, who was dining with the two women, was wounded in the attack, as was Lt. Aldace W. Minard, who happened to be walking past when Swancutt began firing. After firing his gun into the group, Swancutt raced to the base's officer's quarters and demanded another clip of ammunition, and when this demand was refused, he fired two rounds into Captain Aubrey G. Serfling. Grabbing another ammunition clip, he reloaded his gun and held off a group of soldiers before firing again and wounding Corporal Robert Sampson. Lt. Swancutt then commandeered a vehicle and forced Sgt. John Roberts to drive him to the nearby town of Arlington, before abandoning the Army car and attempting to commandeer a civilian car driven by war worker Ray Schlagel, his wife, their eight month old son, and Schlagel's sailor cousin. Police approached the scene, and Swancutt shot Schlagel, and then shot and killed Arlington police officer Arthur B. Simpson. Officer C. F. Cole returned fire and dropped Swancutt with a fusillade. Cole himself was also wounded.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Mar_7__1944_(2).jpg

(At Bush Terminal, the Sperry Gyroscope cafeteria is a gloomy spot these days, at least at one particular table. "Y'd t'ink he'd write, t'bum," grumbles Miss Kaplan. "Gawn t'ree weeks now an' notta woid." "I got a letteh," replies Mozelewski, not looking up as he sketches a dress design on a paper napkin. "You?" snorts Miss Kaplan. "Joe was MY pal. How come he's writ'n t'you? What's he say?" Mozelewski puts down his pencil and reaches into his overall pocket, producing a folded sheet. "I'll read it to yeh," he shrugs. 'Deeh Moze --' -- I don' get why he says t'at, my name ain' Moze." "Yes it is, ya fathead," snorts Miss Kaplan. "Evr'ybody cawls ya Moze." "Well, I don' like it," growls Mozelewski. "My name's Emil. Ev'rybody knows t'at." "I didn't," shrugs Miss Kaplan. "Go awn wit' t'letteh." "He says heeh, 'evr'y'ting heeh at camp is jake. I wisht I was a little youngeh so I could keep up wit' awlese kids t'ey got heeh, but what can ya do? I am loinin' a lawt about mil-it-ary equipmen' an' t'ings like t'at. I am awlso gett'n real good at peelin' p'tatehs. You do t'at a lawt inna Awrmy. Ha ha. Some t'ings I'm good at an' some t'ings I ain' so good at. I wish t'ey would put me onna lathe, but I ain' seen no lathes aroun'nis camp. I guess t'at peelin' p'tatehs is moeh impoeht'n right now. Ha. ha. How awr t'ings at t' plant? Did t'ey pr'mote Kaplan t' supehviseh yet? She will keep ya hoppin'. But don' tell 'eh I said t'at, you know how she gets." "He really said t'at," grins Miss Kaplan. "He really said I oughta be supehviseh? I awrways knew Joe was a right guy!" Mozelewski frowns. "I t'ink Misteh Gillmoeh is smawrteh t'en Joe," he mutters. "Ya jus' jealous," snaps Miss Kaplan. "Anyway, what else he got t'say? "'Write soon,'" reads Mozelewski. "'It is lonely heeh, ev'n wit' awlese people. Most'at'eese kids don' know what it's awlabout. But I guess t'ey will fin' out soon. Regawrds t' awl, an' tell Kaplan I'da wrote t' her too, but I don' know heh fois' name. Keep 'm Flyin', Joe." "Huh," huffs Miss Kaplan. "I don' know ya fois' name neiteh," adds Mozelewski. "T' you," she rejoinds, "it's Miss. An' remembeh t'at whenney make me supehviseh!")

The Eagle Editorialist notes that the latest book by poet Gertrude Stein is being held up from publication due to the paper shortage. "We feel for Miss Stein," the EE acknowledges, before quoting a line from the forthcoming book: "He likes thin soup thin soup he likes very very very much." "Her type of writing cannot be considered fortunate at the moment," the EE sniffs. "A paper shortage shortage is a shortage very very very disheartening to wasters of words."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Mar_7__1944_(4).jpg

("Well, there was that time, oh, three years or so back, when I was in Abraham & Strauss's Basement when the gas line broke...")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Mar_7__1944_(5).jpg

(You could make a fortune in bond sales promoting a game between the MacPhail G. I. Dodgers and the Rickey Has Been and Never Was Dodgers. Get Camilli to come back and throw out the first ball!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Mar_7__1944_(6).jpg

(A junior officer about to do the right thing? Hey Ging, pay attention.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Mar_7__1944_(7).jpg

(If only Lyda Roberti were alive, she'd be perfect for this role.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Mar_7__1944_(8).jpg

(HAW HAW HAW)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Mar_7__1944_(9).jpg

(Careful now, we don't need another horribly charred corpse.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Mar_7__1944_(10).jpg

(AMERICA"S NUMBER ONE HERO DOG is terrible at being devious.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Tue__Mar_7__1944_.jpg

Careful now, Mr. Costello doesn't like you should say all those mean things about him.

Daily_News_Tue__Mar_7__1944_(1).jpg

And it actually works, because what they don't tell you is that "Activol" is actually nothing more or less than estrogen. Which, to be honest, you probably shouldn't be smearing all over your face. Especially if you plan to kiss your husband.

Daily_News_Tue__Mar_7__1944_(2).jpg

DIdn't we just see an actual ad for something like this?

Daily_News_Tue__Mar_7__1944_(3).jpg

And here I thought you had to put your real name on government documents.

Daily_News_Tue__Mar_7__1944_(4).jpg

*Poof*

Daily_News_Tue__Mar_7__1944_(5).jpg

"I was glad to have him come." Oh, Phyllis...

Daily_News_Tue__Mar_7__1944_(6).jpg

"You think that's bad? You oughta see that old guy in the next barracks -- he's got a pinup of a Woolworth's waitress!"

Daily_News_Tue__Mar_7__1944_(7).jpg

If "the master" is indeed Captain Blaze, he's too old for what's about to happen...

Daily_News_Tue__Mar_7__1944_(8).jpg

And to think just a few years ago, it was all "hep hep I like my eggs on the Jersey side!"

Daily_News_Tue__Mar_7__1944_(9).jpg

All these posters, it's an omen. Call the kid "S. Usedfats Plushbottom!" Now where's my $10?

"My name's Emil. Ev'rybody knows t'at." "I didn't," shrugs Miss Kaplan. :)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Mar_7__1944_(10).jpg

If you've ever had to negotiate a deal with a deeply insincere and dishonest person like Trix, you realize it's futile because they simply assume your good will and attempts to build trust are just tricks because that is how they think and act. It's impossible to find common ground. At that point, it all comes down to legal contracts as there is no understanding in their world other than what they can get away with.

"You think that's bad? You oughta see that old guy in the next barracks -- he's got a pinup of a Woolworth's waitress!" :):)

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Today's paper haul strikes hard this afternoon, what with the .45 Colt armed lieutenant who killed for jealousy,
then Private Wilson's marriage to his thirteen year old cousin. Wilson and child bride presumably consumated
marital union, so he is probably to be charged statutory rape with false imprisonment minor child. If he took her across regional-or American state bounds it worsens for him. Aside from absolute bonkers to start he falsified their age, tag blood relation, also the adult relatives are complicit.

Mafalda has been sold into servitude if not slavery seems. Terrence, I note talks of her at discerned distance, paramour no, more as a casual acquaintance home town fellow rover. All interesting correspondence but difficult to read. And between lines dig, lost between page margins. Perhaps Rouge is here too. She might be the boss lezbo.:confused:

Today's paper haul strikes hard this afternoon, what with the .45 Colt armed lieutenant who killed for jealousy,
then Private Wilson's marriage to his thirteen year old cousin. Wilson and child bride presumably consumated
marital union, so he is probably to be charged statutory rape with false imprisonment minor child. If he took her across regional-or American state bounds it worsens for him. Aside from absolute bonkers to start he falsified their age, tag blood relation, also the adult relatives are complicit.

Mafalda has been sold into servitude if not slavery seems. Terrence, I note talks of her at discerned distance, paramour no, more as a casual acquaintance home town fellow rover. All interesting correspondence but difficult to read. And between lines dig, lost between page margins. Perhaps Rouge is here too. She might be the boss lezbo.:confused:

It's not a small investment - you can, though, buy just the years that pre-date the start of these Day by Days - but you are someone I would encourage to buy the Clover Press editions of the original "Terry and the Pirate" strips (as I talked about here: #9,346 ).

I think you would really love to get all the background on the characters. I'm now up to year 1939 and can't say enough about them. The earlier ones are not quite as mature as the ones we're reading now in these Day by Days, but they are still darn good and, overall, adult oriented. Plus, the prints are beautiful and you really see Pat, Burma, the Dragon Lady, etc., as they were meant to be seen.

IMG_1407.jpg

You'll get to learn about Burma and The Dragon Lady's complex relationship

IMG_1410.jpg

And see the Dragon Lady at her feisty fighting best.

IMG_1409.jpg

Plus Pat and Terry looking all stylish.

I loved Pat when he was trying to be Robert Taylor. Remember when he parachuted into an Invader prison camp with Hu Shee, wearing a white tuxedo?

I'm sorry, did you say something after "Hu Shee?"

Pat is clearly Caniff's idea of the perfect man - a big, strong, curly haired good-looking guy who is a global adventurer, but one who can clean up and hang with the swells for a night if he wants to. I'd bet Caniff has a quite nice wardrobe as Pat is always getting new clothes - usually paid for by some rich guy whose daughter he just saved.

Re Hu Shee, do you know if I will I meet her in these books before we met her in the Day by Days or was that when she first appeared?

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
This is a kite tail gang. !!!:) Terrence is a show stealer by himself. Pat is an errant knight seeking the grail all men
seek, a woman's love. And this lady fair Candie is his apparent chosen.
The Chinese lady is sensuous. Exquisitely sketched by Mr Caniff and my kind of complex relationship.;)
I definitely need to Amazon Terrence.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Mar_8__1944_.jpg

("T'is is a pretty good book, t'is 'Madam Oisle," declares Alice, flicking thru Sally's copy of the March issue. "Y'know, I don' know too much about t'is lady stuff, maybe I oughta bone up. Look heeh, t'is story -- 'V.D.' by Mary - whassat t'eh, Mary Pin-chott? Says heeh 'Two lit'l goils stood befoeh a noisse inna ve-nee-real disease office of a com-munity welfaeh awrganization. T'ey weh eight yeehs ol'. 'Heeh,'said t' noisse, handin' each a envelope. "Take t'ese movie tickets to ya mot'ehs an' fawtehs." "Can we come too?" ast t' children. "I don' t'ink you'd be innehrested,' said t' noisse. 'It's a movie f'grown ups.' 'About what?" 'Sy-phil-is an' go-no-rrhea,' t' noisse answehed.' 'Oh,' t'ey said wit' disappintment. "Shakespeeh!' HAW!" roars Alice. "T'at's a good one. She t'inks t' syph anna clap is Shakespeeh!'" Sally edges to the far side of her seat as a stern-looking man across the aisle glares disapprovingly at Alice. "Aw, go peddle ya papehs, gran'pa," snorts Alice, catching sight ot the man's frown. "I bet YOU know ya Shakespeeh! HAW HAW HAW!" Sally's eyes disappear behind her palm as she attempts to shrink entirely from view. "T'at ain' much of a story t'ough," shrugs Alice. "Charactehs ain' too innehrestin'. Lemme see what else t'ey got in heeh. 'If Youeh Man is a Wawr Prisoneh,' by Marie Lo-mass. Hey Sal, you oughta hold onta 'tis, in case t'ey get Joe like t'ey done Mickey." "Shut up," growls Sally. "Jus' shut up!" "Sawry," apologizes Alice, conscious of her gaffe. She is silent for several awkward moments until she erupts with excitement, stabbing her finger at the page beefore her. "Hey Sal!" she chortles. "Get t'is! T'is awrticle heeh 'bout foinitcheh -- says heeh "Even six foot males take to t't'ese lit'l old wing chaiehs t' Richard Kollmars have at each enda t'eh coffee table. But Mrs. Kollmar -- she is Dorot'y Kilgallen, columnis' in print....' See t'eh, t'eh she is, sitt'n onna couch t'eh wit'eh lit'l baby, great big smile onneh face...' "WHAT?" roars Sally. "Lemme see t'at!" She snatches the magazine from Alice's grasp and glares balefully at page 158. "What NOIVE t'at woman has!" she hisses, flinging the magazine across the car, narrowling missing the old man across the aisle. "Sitt'n aroun' like t' Queen 'a Sheba gett'neh face in magazines while 'eh husban's prancin' aroun' Broadway ev'ry night! HOW COME HE AIN' INNA AWRMY, HUH? Y'GET AWAY WIT' EVRY'T'ING DON'CHA! Y'AWRWAYS GET AWAY WIT' EVERYT'ING, GAWDAMMIT!" "Sal!" panics Alice, grabbing Sally by the shoulders. "Sal! Settle down! Ev'rybody's lookin' atcha!" "It ain' FAIEH!" sobs Sally. "Howcum t'ey take Joe, an' not T'AT guy? Howcum, huh??? An' Kilgallen sitt'neh wit'out a caeh inna woil'! IT AIN' FAIEH! IT'S NEVEH FAIEH!" "Sal -- Sal..." continues Alice. "Jus' take it easy." Alice glances around the car and scowls menacingly. "MIN'JA OWN BUSINESS, ALLAYEZ!" she commands. Sally sinks back in her seat, her face flushed. "S'awright kid," consoles Alice. "Neveh min'eese rubbehneckehs." She glances across the car to see the old man absorbed in the "V. D." article. "Hey gramps!" she whispers across the aisle. "Give t'at back when ya done!")

U. S. Marines, in a 110-mile jump from the New Gloucester base have landed on the north coast of New Britain near Talasea to capture positions less than 170 miles from the Japanese stronghold at Rabaul, it was announced today. American forces also won control of Los Negros in the Admirality Islands, across the Bismarck Sea from New Britain, and prepared to start using Momote airfield which they captured in the initial landings last week.

Radio Rome has acknowledged that more than 200,000 Italian workers in German-occupied northern Italy went on strike this week, but stressed that the strike ended after "obvious failure." The statements were picked up yesterday by the U. S. foreign broadcast intelligence service.

"Put up or shut up" was the reaction of Bronx Democratic political boss Edward J. Flynn to Mayor LaGuardia's broadcast Sunday calling on the city's political leaders to take on the question of an increase in the nickel subway fare. Flynn was one of four prominent political leaders addressed by name by the Mayor in his WNYC broadcast, and in a letter to former corporation counsel Paul Windel, who is spearheading the current campaign to increase the fare, the Bronx Democratic Party chairman accused the Mayor of "trying to becloud and evade the issue by injecting the names of other persons into the fare question, particularly when those persons have no direct interest in it." Flynn went on to challenge the Mayor to "unequivocally state" his own position on a fare increase. Brooklyn City Councilman Edward Vogel was even more vociferous in his reaction to the broadcast, calling it a "ludicrous performance." "The Mayor, who weekly tells us what to eat, how to cook, gives directions and advice to every agency, city, state, and Federal," mocked Vogel, "cutely refrains from saying whether he is for or against an increase in fare."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Mar_8__1944_(1).jpg

(I bet Kirby Higbe doesn't get pot roast thrown at him in the Army.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Mar_8__1944_(3).jpg

(I don't care what Hedda Hopper says, it's still too soon.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Mar_8__1944_(4).jpg

(I think I hired that guy once. Came out owing $1500.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Mar_8__1944_(6).jpg

(Actually, Dix wrecked that shoulder when he did a particularly aggressive do-si-do. Don't tell the Army.)

Former Yankee pitching star Lefty Gomez joins the likes of Dizzy Dean and Waite Hoyt as hurling greats turning to the microphone for a living. The Senor will take over pre-game broadcasts this summer when the Yankees and Giants return to the air after the teams took a hiatus from radio last year. Don Dunphy and Bill Slater will do the play-by-play reports for the two clubs over station WINS. Mel Allen, who broadcast for the Yanks and Giants in 1941 and 1942, is now in the Army, and his former partner Connie Desmond now works with Red Barber on the Dodger broadcasts over WHN.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Mar_8__1944_(7).jpg

(Clearly, you haven't met Ging.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Mar_8__1944_(8).jpg

(I mean, the moustache is bad enough.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Mar_8__1944_(9).jpg

(Careful, Jane. Have you seen "The Miracle of Morgan's Creek?")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Mar_8__1944_(10).jpg

(Wow, and I thought Norman Marsh had some weird plots.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Mar_8__1944_(11).jpg

(There are multiple layers of enabling going on here.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Sorry for the delay -- there was a long line at the newsstand because of all the Dixie Walker fans wanting to know when they can sign up for square dance lessons.

And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Wed__Mar_8__1944_.jpg

"Polygamy isn't fun." Yeah, ask your "wives."

Daily_News_Wed__Mar_8__1944_(1).jpg

"Such a waaaarld," sighs Ma. "SPPPPPT!" agrees Leonora.

Daily_News_Wed__Mar_8__1944_(2).jpg

With a forehead like that I'm surprised there's any room for sweat glands.

Daily_News_Wed__Mar_8__1944_(3).jpg

What makes you think they don't already?

Daily_News_Wed__Mar_8__1944_(4).jpg

"Well, of course, Bill Slagg was great, but..."

Daily_News_Wed__Mar_8__1944_(5).jpg

Well now!!!! It's ABOUT TIME! Gawblessya, kid.

Daily_News_Wed__Mar_8__1944_(6).jpg

"Three Jills in a Jeep."

Daily_News_Wed__Mar_8__1944_(7).jpg

Like that ever stopped you.

Daily_News_Wed__Mar_8__1944_(8).jpg

Listening to Bob Hope, are we?

Daily_News_Wed__Mar_8__1944_(9).jpg

You know, a house-call christening in the kitchen sink isn't really done except by the less-rigorous denominations.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Easily a lead beauty of silver screen, Myrna Loy isn't a kept kitten type either it seems. :)

Heart goes out to the little girl with leukemia, her parents and dad overseas fighting grief and war.:(

Terrence's Mafalda sizzles like a good steak. ;)

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
It's not a small investment - you can, though, buy just the years that pre-date the start of these Day by Days - but you are someone I would encourage to buy the Clover Press editions of the original "Terry and the Pirate" strips (as I talked about here: #9,346 ).

I think you would really love to get all the background on the characters. I'm now up to year 1939 and can't say enough about them. The earlier ones are not quite as mature as the ones we're reading now in these Day by Days, but they are still darn good and, overall, adult oriented. Plus, the prints are beautiful and you really see Pat, Burma, the Dragon Lady, etc., as they were/
Gave Cloverall a go see. Outstanding. Terrence's master set with that discounted Gatsby is the June forecast for my next winter's reading. All of Menchen too. There are Yanks I've heard of but never made acquaintance so starting this fall I intend toward rectifying matters. You Tube features British girls whom lead far better disciplined reading lives than do I, and, pride be damned. I need proper direction with decent time allowance and reasonable book structure.
Haven't done any handicapping this week either. Snagged a Gotham superfecta, low stakes percentage poker off a single dime bet paid $93, bought Menchen's first vol American English on Ms Elizabeth's recommendation with it, then
went after the rescheduled San Felipe at Santa Anita last Sunday. Bob Baffert's Nysos yank scratch ruined Fellipe for gamble. So the Santa Anita Handicap threw a wild Jack at my usual more substantial play. I should have seen that Jack coming, so blame's moi. Had to watch the State of The Union speech. When did American Army officers wear formal dress blues for this night? Class A greens were usual lingua franca. Richardson, colleague of mine who served
subaltern, Coldstream Guards caught it also. Went the rag over coffee like he'd never left Victoria Barracks.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Mar_9__1944_.jpg

("Francis?" mumbles Ma, roused from a deep sleep. "Did ye hear that?" "Mmmggph," replies Uncle Frank, rolling over in bed to glance at the alarm clock on the nightstand, its luminous hands standing at 2:20 AM. "Oi didn't hear noothin, Nora, go back t'sleep." "No, listen," insists Ma. "Tharr it is again. Soombody's poondin' on the door downstairs. Goo down an' check." "Ahhh, these cloients a yarrs, troin' t'get down a bet in the middle'o th' noit," growls Uncle Frank, throwing on his robe and reaching into the nightstand for his revolver. "Joost in case," he comments, slipping the gun into his pocket. He pads heavily down the stairs into the store, and snaps on the lights. "Oi'm coomin'," he rumbles as the pounding on the door grows more insistent. He fiddles with the night latch, unchains the chain, and opens the door to reveal Sally -- a coat thrown sloppily over her nightgown, her hair awry, and her eyes wildly dilated. "Ohgood y'heeeh," she exhales, bursting into the store as the words flood out in a frantic rush. "Ineed'atruck, y'got t'tiehfixed right y'got t'tiehfixed, y'gotta drivemeout'tCampUpton, Uncafrank, y'gottadrivemeout." "Sally?" sputters Uncle Frank, releasing his grip on the revolver and reflexively closing the door. "Whattayedoin' heere at'this toime'a night?" "Gottagot'tCampUpton," she stammers, her eyes frantic. "Y'gottadriveme,gottaseeJoe. Gotta drivemeUncaFrank,IgottaseeJoe,IjustgottaseeJoe..." The words continue to stream out in a single unbroken sentence as Ma descends into the store, her robe fluttering behind her. "Daughter!" she gasps, taking in the scene. "Daughter! Whattaye doin' here? Where's Leonora?" "IgottaseeJoe," she repeats, beads of sweat rolling down her forehead. "T'eytookJoean'Igottasee'im Ma,Igotta see'im,I jus'gottasee'im!" "DAUGHTER!" snaps Ma in a stern, hard voice. "SALLY MARIE SWEENEY!" she commands, slapping her daughter hard across the face. "WHERE'S LEONORA!" "Left'ehwit't'Ginsboigs," stammers Sally, her face reddening and her breath coming now it short bursts. "Icoudln'bring'eh -- um -- um -- t'eyprob'ydon'letbabies innacamp,but'tey'llletme in,t'ey gottaletme in I'm Joe'swife,he's myhusban', t'eygottalemmein,t'eyjustgotta. Get'truckUncaFrank,wegotta go right now, right now!" As Sally continues her manic babble, Uncle Frank leans in and sniffs. "Well," he observes, "she's naaaht droonk." "Call a doctor, Francis," commands Ma. "NOW!")

American troops have killed 650 Japanese in the Hukawng Valley of northern Burma while losing only seven men, it was reported from the front today. Japanese dead since the opening of the Hukawng campaign by American-trained Chinese troops total 2309, it was announced. Thirty-seven American troops have been wounded since fighting began in that sector in late February.

A Stockholm newspaper said today that there has been an "important development" in Finland's efforts to arrange a separate peace with Russia, while another dispatch indicated that it might lead to the dispatching of a special Finnish envoy to Moscow. The development was believed to involve "a new move by Finland," but no details were given. A communique on the present state of negotiations was to have been issued last night but it was postponed without explanation.

A Vichy French commentator broadcasting over the Nazi-controlled Paris radio predicted last night that the Allies will invade Western Europe by March 15th. Commentator Jean Paquis qualified that prediction stating that the Second Front will be opened by the Allies "providing Prime Minister Churchill has not made a mistake or deceived us." Paquis further stated that German forces are prepared for the invasion. "The reception is ready," he declared, "and the Allies can come."

An internal crisis today looms within the ranks of the Communist Party as a result of a split among leadership over a new policy of cooperation with capitalism. National Chairman William Z. Foster is reported to have told the central committee that he is willing to cooperate with "liberal capitalists," but that he will not cooperate with "reactionary capitalists." His stand was endorsed by central committee member Sam Darcy. Party general secretary Earl Browder recently announced the new strategy as a way of bringing about the goals laid out by President Roosevelt, Premier Stalin, and Prime Minister Churchill during the Teheran Conference.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Mar_9__1944_(1).jpg

(They don't help you pick numbers, either.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Mar_9__1944_(2).jpg

(And f'gawdsake don't shave your eyebrows. It isn't 1937.)

Reader Martin Woolfson writes in to predict that there will be a move away from "vocational education" after the war, back toward a more classical approach to educating our youths, especially because the flood of returning veterans will sharply reduce the demand for youthful labor. "We must begin," warns Mr. Woolfson, "to teach our youth that education has goals other than the economic and the vocational."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Mar_9__1944_(3).jpg

("And besides I've seen you do the same thing when Hildegarde comes on!"

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Mar_9__1944_(4).jpg

("Are you SURE, my boy," rumbles Mr. Rickey, "that you cannot play second base?" "We don't have a uniform that fits, sir," demurs Mr. Parrott. "Did you," inquires Mr. Rickey with a joyless chuckle, "inquire of the batboy?" Mr. Parrott flushes with embarassment, and ruefully recalls the days when *he* was the one making with the wisecracks.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Mar_9__1944_(5).jpg

(Hey, we can't all marry the governor.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Mar_9__1944_(6).jpg

(Don't run on the stairs, that never ends well.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Mar_9__1944_(7).jpg

(This is where the guys end up that the MPs won't let hang around Times Square.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Mar_9__1944_(8).jpg

(It's a wonderful, um, life.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Mar_9__1944_(9).jpg

(With the chess pieces all in place...)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Thu__Mar_9__1944_.jpg

Another two cents plain, Flo? Haven't you had enough?

Daily_News_Thu__Mar_9__1944_(1).jpg

A Gentler Time.

Daily_News_Thu__Mar_9__1944_(2).jpg

Well, John Barrymore's no longer with us, but here's the next best thing...

Daily_News_Thu__Mar_9__1944_(3).jpg

"OH BOY CAN WE GO WEST THIS TIME I LOVE HORSEMEAT!"

Daily_News_Thu__Mar_9__1944_(4).jpg

Set her up with Wilmer, I dare ya.

Daily_News_Thu__Mar_9__1944_(5).jpg

You know, when you think of gratuitous comic strip cheesecake, you never think of The Gumps. It's a changing world.

Daily_News_Thu__Mar_9__1944_(6).jpg

Ew, word problems. NO THANKS.

Daily_News_Thu__Mar_9__1944_(7).jpg

Everyone's got to have a postwar dream.

Daily_News_Thu__Mar_9__1944_(8).jpg

It started out as champagne but it's real pain now.

Daily_News_Thu__Mar_9__1944_(9).jpg

Never mind all that. DID YOU FINISH OFF JUDAS?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff