Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Finest Compliments You've Ever Received

HepKitty

One Too Many
vintage68 said:
That's gotta be one of the coolest compliments ever. Pilots usually love their planes and flying more than any mere mortal....:D

I think he was just shocked to see me in a dress, that's all lol

but yes, they do love their planes (and helicopters) and flying, I know a lot of pilots and I adore them anyway, even though they can only be temporarily distracted from flying with chocolate cake. now if I could only be a pilot myself...

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Miss Moonlight said:
However.... I would like to find a man who's already assembled. ;) (They're out there, I just haven't had the luck yet!)

Really??,..Well then allow me to compliment you for that statement. :) :eusa_clap I've met far too many women in my life that were looking to fix someone up. I needn't tell you how that all goes,... :eusa_doh:

HepKitty

One Too Many
Miss Moonlight said:
"I learned so much from you. You changed my life for the better."

That was the last two boyfriends when I left them. It's very nice to know I might have had a positive impact on someone. However.... I would like to find a man who's already assembled. ;) (They're out there, I just haven't had the luck yet!)

for real. I understand we all have issues but sometimes no amount of duct tape can help

vintage68

Practically Family
HepKitty said:
I think he was just shocked to see me in a dress, that's all lol

but yes, they do love their planes (and helicopters) and flying, I know a lot of pilots and I adore them anyway, even though they can only be temporarily distracted from flying with chocolate cake. now if I could only be a pilot myself...

I came perilously close to marrying a pilot, before I realized she was more in love with flying and always would be. Tough to compete with that. She's happily married to her job now and prefers it that way, and I can't bake a chocolate cake worth diddly...

HepKitty

One Too Many
vintage68 said:
I came perilously close to marrying a pilot, before I realized she was more in love with flying and always would be. Tough to compete with that. She's happily married to her job now and prefers it that way, and I can't bake a chocolate cake worth diddly...

:eek:fftopic: not all are like that. my dear friend Leah is a pilot (I still have her books, now just need $6400 for a private license and instrument rating, ha! wish me luck) but is much more interested in getting married and having kids. she dumped her boyfriend a few months ago for lack of commitment and he begged her to come home by letting her pick out the ring... but then I have kids already and can make my own cake http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=50390&page=2 and my house will be empty when I'm out flying...

vintage68

Practically Family
:eek:fftopic:

To be honest though, I'd only want to fly with the one's who are like that. I just don't want to be married to one, God love 'em, bless their hearts.

No weekend pilots for me please when I'm up in the air.

HepKitty

One Too Many
compliments, right!

here is probably the best one for me, how I could have forgotten I'm not sure other than it was a long time ago

"you're one of our favorite moms!" from the ladies at the play therapy center for my kids

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
The best compliment I ever got was when I had a 12 year old as a dental patient. He had a very bad experience when he was younger and was scared out of his wits. It took me about a half hour to get him quieted down so I could give him an anesthetic injection. When I was done with the shot, he jumped out of the dental chair, threw his arms around my neck and hollered "I love you. I didn't feel a thing". The second best compliment was when I treated a 3 year old, got him numb with no crying at all and then he fell asleep while I was working on him.

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
"You're very...competent" - my date, many years ago, desperately trying to find something to complement me on.

"He cleans up pretty good" - one young lady half my age to another (both were employees of mine) when seeing me in a suit and fedora.

"You not only saved my life, but my kid's lives, too" - the young lady who was the receipient of the comment above. Shortly after we hired her, we found out she had a serious drug problem. Instead of firing her (what most companies would have done) we sent her to rehab and hired an attorney to help with her legal problems.

"Gosh darn it, you could be better than Bob Hoover!" - my flight instructor many years ago, referring to the legendary WWII aviator and airshow pilot. Actually, he was chastizing me for my sloppy flying. Of course, I didn't believe him then, and I don't believe him now! Oh, and he didn't say "gosh darn."

Best,
Staggerwing

PS - I will agree with the other posters that I value the love of my three cats above all!

HepKitty

One Too Many
Hope our dear Paddy doesn't mind me sharing this

PADDY said:
What lucky little people to have a hip, rock climbing mum like you!! QUOTE]

Thank you Paddy!

And recently, from Amelia, one of the swing dancers who is pretty good herself: "watching you dance makes me smile"

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Some musical raves...

Webcast:
"Watched the whole thing in my state-of-the art home-office. With full
screen view on the windows machine, it was like you were all on
television!
What a beautiful hour of music to listen to as I puttered around the
office; the window open, the sun going down. Watching your
breathtaking piano solos. Very nice.
Congratulations to you and the rest of Swingtime. You are all an
amazingly talented unit."

Wedding:
“All fives! No joke. If we could give her all thousands, we would. Sara not only met but exceeded our wishes for our 1930s-style reception dinner. She was gracious from the very start--always returning our email promptly and going above and beyond to get our playlist in order. We loved her laid-back attitude and elegance. Needless to say we were staggered by her performance at our reception. She charmed everyone and definitely set the tone for the remainder of the evening. It is now 45 days after our reception and we STILL receive questions from our guests about her. Kudos, Sara”

"It's like being in a 30s movie, but she's really real!"

HepKitty

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
Webcast:
"Watched the whole thing in my state-of-the art home-office. With full
screen view on the windows machine, it was like you were all on
television!
What a beautiful hour of music to listen to as I puttered around the
office; the window open, the sun going down. Watching your
breathtaking piano solos. Very nice.
Congratulations to you and the rest of Swingtime. You are all an
amazingly talented unit."

Wedding:
“All fives! No joke. If we could give her all thousands, we would. Sara not only met but exceeded our wishes for our 1930s-style reception dinner. She was gracious from the very start--always returning our email promptly and going above and beyond to get our playlist in order. We loved her laid-back attitude and elegance. Needless to say we were staggered by her performance at our reception. She charmed everyone and definitely set the tone for the remainder of the evening. It is now 45 days after our reception and we STILL receive questions from our guests about her. Kudos, Sara”

"It's like being in a 30s movie, but she's really real!"

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I know, I am humbled but still felt un-humble enough to repeat it!

Personal compliments are a little harder to post. I already have a problem with people thinking I am full of myself so I don't want to encourage that. And I guess I have a hard time accepting the personal compliments too (childhood trauma and all that).

But definitely the biggest compliment of my life was my husband asking me to marry him. Mi Amor! 18 years and counting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy