Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The G1 and the flying tigers

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
bburtner@moran said:
Any comments on the 55J14 or G1 jackets being worn more often than the A2 jackets?

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I think they wore M-422s. Weren't the original Flying Tigers formed from members of the USN, AAF and USMC and even a few civilians? Perhaps many of them just preferred the Navy flight jackets.

As do I.

AF

Edward

Bartender
If memory serves, didn't the USN supply most of the lfight jackets issued to the AVG pilots? I've heard it said also (and seen photos) that a number of them wore regular A2s, modified with the addition of a furry collar a la Aero's CBI Field Modified A2 model.

Juanito

One of the Regulars
bburtner@moran said:
Any comments on the 55J14 or G1 jackets being worn more often than the A2 jackets?

I have some literature around somewhere, and it refers to the direct purchase of the M-422 jackets directly from Willis and Geiger. I found this in some archives when I was in college about 20 years ago. I'll try to dig it up.

Senicko_Spain

Suspended
Juanito said:
I have some literature around somewhere, and it refers to the direct purchase of the M-422 jackets directly from Willis and Geiger. I found this in some archives when I was in college about 20 years ago. I'll try to dig it up.

That would make perfect sense as there were only 2 manufactures of the M-422. Here's a pic of an original W&G I restored a couple of years ago, they had very short arms because of the need to wear long gloves while wearing the jacket. Nice jackets and as rare as hen's teeth.

CIMG3769.jpg

CIMG3767.jpg

CIMG3774.jpg

m422donefront.jpg

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
veRRRRRy interesTing...buT...

of course i'm showing my customary lack of knowledge...but looking at this jacket, could folks point out from the great photos (aside from the shorter sleeeeeves) any differences between this and the g-1...sometimes it looks as if the 'm' designation jackets, and the korean war naval jackets, have slightly different collars, smaller...but otherwise these look so similar

of course, when i wear one or another of my half-dozen a-2s and ask if my 'normal' friends like it, they say...'that's the jacket you always wear...what's different'...and of course it's pretty obvious to me differences each a-2 from the other, from manufacturer to manufacturer...

also wondering about adding name tags...if it doesn't already have one i kinda cringe at having one sewn in...some used jackets come with the velcro but don't know i'd want add a velcro patch to a jacket

Tibor

One of the Regulars
Yup. 422s. As noted, many of the guys were out of the Navy (blew some engines thinking they could ram open the throttles like their ol' radial birds), and some of them brought their jackets with them. Found this quote from 3rd squadron pilot John T. Donovan from a letter dated 1/1/42:

"We have been issued flight clothing which is the same as that furnished to us in the U.S. Navy. They bought one quarter million dollars worth of it! All the time it has been here in Kunming and all the flying in Rangoon and Toungoo was done with ordinary sun glasses and home made helmets, or none at all, and khakis. Now we have two heavy jackets, fur lined gloves, pants, boots, three helmets, face masks, and goggles."

There were some local-made A-2 replicas as well as a few original A-2s brought from the states.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Don't forget those A1's, Pilgrim...

AVG Leader Claire Chennault favored the A1- I'll look for pics- until the end of his service. I just figured he stayed with a jacket he'd had for awhile.

Peacoat

Bartender
johnnyjohnny said:
of course i'm showing my customary lack of knowledge...but looking at this jacket, could folks point out from the great photos (aside from the shorter sleeeeeves) any differences between this and the g-1...sometimes it looks as if the 'm' designation jackets, and the korean war naval jackets, have slightly different collars, smaller...but otherwise these look so similar

of course, when i wear one or another of my half-dozen a-2s and ask if my 'normal' friends like it, they say...'that's the jacket you always wear...what's different'...and of course it's pretty obvious to me differences each a-2 from the other, from manufacturer to manufacturer...

also wondering about adding name tags...if it doesn't already have one i kinda cringe at having one sewn in...some used jackets come with the velcro but don't know i'd want add a velcro patch to a jacket

I wouldn't add Velcro to a C or maybe even a D series, or earlier G-1, but it wouldn't bother me to do so with one of the E series jackets.

The name badges have gotten larger over the years. Back during the 1960s, and maybe later, they were noticeably smaller than they are now. The Velcro on one of my flight suits from the late 60s looks really small compared to the Velcro and name tags from today.

A couple of years ago I looked unsuccessfully for a source for the original size name tag. If anyone knows where they might be found, please let me know. Mash has them, but they are the large current issue size.

Raymundo

One of the Regulars
Having a fur collar helped keep them a little warmer at the high altitutdes they flew. Most of the pilots wore them under their flightsuits but were still very cold when flying. I am sure that they would have loved to have a B-10 back then to wear.

Ray

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR