Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Gap and Audrey Hepburn...

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
While I agree that Audrey had a great sense of style, it is nice that the "now" generation is being exposed to her (even if it is via a Gap commercial and not one of her films), and I'll even admit that I like Gap clothing and I do shop there... I still don't care for the commercials. I don't really care for the dancing to AC/DC, and I also just plain don't like the idea of a dead celebrity being used as a pitch man.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Spiel, you must have read my mind!

I was thinking of doing a post like this in the Moving Picture. I enjoyed reading the comments here. I agree with part of what almost everyone has said and I am glad that we can all speak on these sort of topics and get a variety of opinions.

Personally, I find this commercial very creepy, almost macabre. It's as if some one has exumed her corpse, animated it, and used it for their own purposes. The music is jarring; inappropriate to the way she is moving.

It demeans her, and from a purely marketing perspective, "it cheapens her brand." She is now associated with The Gap, of all brands, not LVMH or Elizabeth Arden, or any of her wonderful charity causes to which she devoted the last years of her life. -I am old enough to remember her crusades in the Third World.- Instead of all of this, a generation will know her as a shill for cheaply made ill-fitting clothing. It's rather sad.

Also, I am not of the school that says, at least a new generation will discover her. She has a lifetime of work that already ensures that her legacy will go on. She has wonderful films that speak to any generation, "Sabrina," "Roman Holiday," and "Charade" that play continually on cable. Her image still graces some of Unicef's materials. She didn't need this; it detracts from her icon status.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hemingway Jones said:
I was thinking of doing a post like this in the Moving Picture. I enjoyed reading the comments here. I agree with part of what almost everyone has said and I am glad that we can all speak on these sort of topics and get a variety of opinions.

Personally, I find this commercial very creepy, almost macabre. It's as if some one has exumed her corpse, animated it, and used it for their own purposes. The music is jarring; inappropriate to the way she is moving.

It demeans her, and from a purely marketing perspective, "it cheapens her brand." She is now associated with The Gap, of all brands, not LVMH or Elizabeth Arden, or any of her wonderful charity causes to which she devoted the last years of her life. -I am old enough to remember her crusades in the Third World.- Instead of all of this, a generation will know her as a shill for cheaply made ill-fitting clothing. It's rather sad.

Also, I am not of the school that says, at least a new generation will discover her. She has a lifetime of work that already ensures that her legacy will go on. She has wonderful films that speak to any generation, "Sabrina," "Roman Holiday," and "Charade" that play continually on cable. Her image still graces some of Unicef's materials. She didn't need this; it detracts from her icon status.
Well said:eusa_clap Once again, I agree with what you are saying here, you just explained it much better than I did.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
But... what's the difference between this and the bags everyone has been buying the last few years with her face on them decorated with rhinestones?
http://store.expressorize.com/auheit.html
The bags are cheaply made and most likely didn't receive a liscence to do it- at least I'm assuming that since I saw them in the Garment District being hawked on the street and then all over malls. The wallets were about $12 each down there. If she's going to be used for anything I'm much rather it be by a company that jumps through the hoops nessecary to use her image.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Lauren Henline said:
But... what's the difference between this and the bags everyone has been buying the last few years with her face on them decorated with rhinestones? ...If she's going to be used for anything I'm much rather it be by a company that jumps through the hoops nessecary to use her image.
Well, if you're asking me, and if I can imagine myself as the adminsitrator of her license and image, I would say there is no difference. I would issue an immediate cease and dessist on the maker of the bags.

And I do not fault The Gap here. The Gap must do whatever is necessary and legal to return value to its shareholders, including coming up with ad campaigns that inspire intelligent people like us to talk about them. I do however fault the Hepburn Estate or whomever it is that manages her likeness and image. ;)

Daisy Buchanan

Hemingway Jones said:
Well, if you're asking me, and if I can imagine myself as the adminsitrator of her license and image, I would say there is no difference. I would issue an immediate cease and dessist on the maker of the bags.

And I do not fault The Gap here. The Gap must do whatever is necessary and legal to return value to its shareholders, including coming up with ad campaigns that inspire intelligent people like us to talk about them. I do however fault the Hepburn Estate or whomever it is that manages her likeness and image. ;)
I agree, but just to add, I think there is a big difference between using her likeness on a pocketbook and reviving her from the dead and using her to hock pants. There is something sweet about having a picture of your favorite actress on your handbag. There is something off about bringing her back to life, dancing around to AC/DC in the hopes that this will sell more items. It hasn't worked for me. I have no desire to buy these pants, although the gap does have a very cute belted khaki fall jacket that is just darling. The bag is actually quite cute, I personally wouldn't use it. I've actually never seen a bag like this before either in a store or on a person.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Maybe it was a west coast thing [huh] I used to sell them here in antique stores and they were EVERYWHERE in Southern California. They had everything from Audrey to Katharine, to Elvis, Lucy, Casablanca, Gone with the Wind... was a huge fad out here.

Daisy Buchanan

Lauren Henline said:
Maybe it was a west coast thing [huh] I used to sell them here in antique stores and they were EVERYWHERE in Southern California. They had everything from Audrey to Katharine, to Elvis, Lucy, Casablanca, Gone with the Wind... was a huge fad out here.
I remember seeing cute ones with dogs on them, and some others with the eifel tower. The dog ones had dalmations, so cute. But, I just can't bring myself to carry one. I do like the Audrey bag, it's perfect, especially for us ladies who are big fans. I just couldn't use one. Thanks for the link though...

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Actually, I like the ad. I think the moves go with the music. If you don't like it, remember that the ad is going to be gone and forgotten in a matter of months.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I usually hate most commercials, but I love this one! I find the juxtaposition of Audrey and AC/DC to be absolutely hysterical.lol

But then, I enjoy AC/DC (even saw them in concert once), and I like Audrey Hepburn, and the way they fit the two together in the commercial is rather well done.

Brad

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
herringbonekid said:
the black turtle neck and tight pants started a fashion when the film came out in '56. it will very probably happen again.

I'm sure Dieter and his monkey can hardly wait.:eek:

dieter9.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters