Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Golden Compass

Mike K.

One Too Many
Somebody explain this to me....
If the author is an atheist, then he/she doesn't believe in God.
So how can you write about destroying what you don't believe exists in the first place?!
[huh]

Josephine

One Too Many
Mike K. said:
So how can you write about destroying what you don't believe exists in the first place?!
[huh]

I don't believe in unicorns but I can write about them.

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
Mike K. said:
[huh]

LOL!! I think this comment coupled with your fabulous
avatar photo makes this the best comment yet!

Does make you wonder why he says what he says.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
I am still up in the air about the movies. I read the first book and LOVED it, but the first book only just began to hint at something being amiss with the "church." My wife went on to read the other two and warned me that they get pretty far out there.

There is a very clear agenda in these books beyond that of entertainment. Someone mentioned Harry Potter ... that series contained material traditionally frowned upon by Christians AND was very entertaining, but Rowling never went out of her way to include a "there is no God" message in the Potter series.
The Golden Compass trilogy does just that.

A lot of people did refuse to watch Narnia because of its openly Christian background and themes. On the reverse, we have every right to not support this work if it goes against our beliefs. Thus, as a Christian, I may not see it.
On the other hand, I do enjoy a good sci-fi fantasy based book and movie, and am secure enough to see it without fear of coming out atheist on the other side.

I can be a very conflicted individual sometimes lol

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
J. M. Stovall said:
I don't know about that. Remember the wave of Scientology converts after Battlefield Earth came out. Wait...that didn't happen either.;)

Oh. Mylanta.

It's a good thing I wasn't drinking anything when I read this. lol lol lol

Story

I'll Lock Up
J. M. Stovall said:
I don't know about that. Remember the wave of Scientology converts after Battlefield Earth came out. Wait...that didn't happen either.;)

Remember that thread about the Cthulhu movie? Ia! Ia! Dagon fthagan!

Seriously, if the author is attempting to spark a quantum change in beliefs, he's going to try to target younger (and more maleable) readers.

Then again, there's been alot of folks' with the same idea before him.

They're dead.

God is still alive. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy