Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Golden Era's *ugliest* clothes

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Ugly Sweaters:
5459949742_c79b4b483a_o.jpg
Personally I think this sweater is to die for! I'd wear the squirrel one too.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
lol

I hate squirrels!!! lol They get into everything and my dog chases them, with me trailing behind...lol

Strappy shoes: I had shoes very similar to the "Grecian Beauties" in the late 80s/early 90s. I look at me in old pictures and 1.) they are not flattering and 2.) they are just U-G-L-Y. My friend used to call them "shoe skeletons" which is kinda accurate.

Last edited:

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
The "Grecian Beauties" ("Grecian Uglies" if you prefer) kind of remind me of the Gladiator/Jesus boot/shoe style that's darkened the shoe shelves for the past year or so. Are they shoe? Are they boot? They may not be fish, but they are most definitely foul.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
5466006490_7df63e1c26_b.jpg

Dress "A" -- It's alright from the belt down, but the bodice is just so.....ugly. So are the sleeves. Now, I'm one to love tacky/ugly/gaudy, but I am picturing this dress on me and it's not a pretty sight lol My large bust/shoulders look ghastly in necklines that high. And those gathers would not do me any favours, either.

Dress "E", on the other hand, *drool*!!!!!!!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Dress C is pretty wicked, too. Thought I'd omit that tacky pleating...and in a contrasting color as well!? *bleck*
The buttons on Dress D make the lady look as if she has a rash. Ointment, my dear. Ointment.
LD

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
lol

C is ok -- I'd look terrible in it, though. I kinda like the tacky pleated collar thingie! And I never thought I'd say this, but there are far too many buttons on dress D.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Nellie Olson wants her dress back:

5466537916_6576ed40cd_b.jpg

I don't know if this dress is ugly or if it's alright. lol
I do hate the neckline, though. Collars for me, plaese!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Nellie Olson wants her dress back:

5466537916_6576ed40cd_b.jpg

I don't know if this dress is ugly or if it's alright. lol
I do hate the neckline, though. Collars for me, plaese!

These dresses would be darling on a 5 year old girl. On a grown woman, no no no! The only way a grown woman today could pull it off would be if she had blue or purple hair and completely covered in tattoos. She would need a hard edge to not look like a total dork or that she walked off a polygomy ranch.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I have a copy of TV Guide from 1970 with a cover photo of First Daughter Tricia Nixon -- always known for her impeccable sense of style -- wearing a dress very much like that. And looking like she's waiting for the White Rabbit to lead her off to Wonderland at any moment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters