Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Golden Era's *ugliest* clothes

Elpinoine

New in Town
Thank cheap overseas manufacturers for this -- it keeps manufacturing costs down when you only have to build to one standardized last. Because of this there are many millions of people today who have never, ever actually worn a pair of shoes that fits them properly.

At least I have someone to "thank" for helping to mess up my feet by cramming them into too narrow shoes. I search much harder now, and there is nothing better than a well fitting pair of shoes!

Elpinoine

New in Town
183741_10150102526894164_624014163_6348755_4749942_n.jpg

In the early 60s Sears catalogs there was a lot of matchy-matchy going on. Even whole families in matching outfits. All really ugly, too.

I almost don't mind this, but I really hate the weird fringe going on at the bottom of the dresses. Ruins whatever good feelings I had toward it.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
That mother-daughter-outfits thing has come and gone several times over the years -- there was a fad for it just before the war, which produced a lot of goofy gingerbread dresses on grown women who should have known better. Although I suppose it's better than what we'd get today, which would be something like mothers and daughters both going around with "JUICY" printed on their backsides.

Elpinoine

New in Town
Honestly, I don't know if there is a fashion trend I hate more than the sweatpants with writing on the rears. I really wish that is one thing that would die out already.

Drappa

One Too Many
I actually see mothers and daughters in matching tracksuits fairly frequently. Earlier this week I even saw a 65-70 year old woman at the playground with her grandson and she wore leggings and ugg boots!
The fringing on those dresses is terrible, it makes them look like costumes.

crwritt

One Too Many
I actually see mothers and daughters in matching tracksuits fairly frequently. Earlier this week I even saw a 65-70 year old woman at the playground with her grandson and she wore leggings and ugg boots!
The fringing on those dresses is terrible, it makes them look like costumes.

It goes perfectly with the "textured sackcloth" in the patchwork!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
ugly.jpg

Now parts of this dress work, its just there are TOO MANY things going on. The draping is very nice, but ALL that shirring makes it look like the dress has a rash. Tulip, puff and trimmed sleeves!? Really? Its like 3 dresses mashed together. Yuck.

LD

Last edited:

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I agree with you LD. That dress would look terrible on me, but I'm still trying to decide if it looks alright on the model lol

I do hate the neckline, though, and all those drapes!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
^^ not ugly to me...I would order one- who cares if it’s overdoing it with the details- I like it!

Well I care, thats why I think its ugly.
Look, I totally get that not everything in this thread people are not gonna find ugly, but this isn't the "Defend the dress that others think is ugly" thread.
Its a harmless fun thread, lets keep it as such :)

LD

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
Well I care, thats why I think its ugly.
Look, I totally get that not everything in this thread people are not gonna find ugly, but this isn't the "Defend the dress that others think is ugly" thread.
Its a harmless fun thread, lets keep it as such :)

LD

Thank you for so bluntly putting it like that- you said you wanted to keep it friendly yet your come back has made me feel quite rubbish! I’m sorry you thought my comment was anyway unfriendly- It certainly wasn’t meant to be read that way!
I was only just expressing my likeness for it (even if it’s full of too many details- which I do agree that it does indeed have too many!).I'll keep my mouth shut then!
Ones gals ugly- is another gals beautiful I guess.
The world would be a sad, dreary place if we all liked and disliked the same things!;)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Okay, Im trying to phrase this in a way that you or anyone wouldn't find offensive. Im not a politically correct person, and I cant filter everything I say just so someone wont feel bad. It s not a personal attack by any stretch.

Its just half of this thread are "I dont think its ugly" "I like it" "I would wear it" completely discouraging people to post. No one feels a need to say in other threads, "Geeze, thats horrendous. Id never wear that." But this one you can!

There is some stuff here that I haven't found too awful but I try and see why someone *would* think its a train wreck and I leave it be.

There, I hope that explains it. Im sure Ive made more women sour with this reply than anything else :)

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou