Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Great Beer Thread

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
MisterCairo said:
Is this the same Coopers that makes the home brewing malt? I've used Cooper's brand malted barley for making home brewed beer, and I've made the stout several times, VERY tasty!

I think it might be
TCDarkFull.jpg

Drew B

One of the Regulars
lolly_loisides said:
Haha, yep the brown one (with the yellow label). Perfect winters drinking.

yellow label you say?... so is he brown a light beer then I always thought yellow was the light... but I'm probably wrong :p ... so what is the brown?

i think ill check the site... yes beer IS this important!

green is a pale ale
red is sparkling ale
brown is a dark ale
orange is a mild ale
and yellow is a stout

now I remember... they used to have a different colour system but that was a while ago when pale ale was by definition a light beer.

I never noticed beer was so dynamic!

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
"I am the great OZ" (stout)

And now for something related, but different:

Back in the early 80s, here in the Boston Massachusetts USA area, it was possible to purchase--quite cheaply, and in LARGE quantities--Tooth's "Sheaf" Stout. It was a lovely beverage...I drank an awful lot of it in 18C contexts, and believe it to be a pretty fair representative of early Porter....but then it disappeared from these shores as far as I can tell. I have the fondest memories of it--perhaps largely due to context!--and would be happy to make its acquaintance again. Anyone else have any thoughts?

For what it's worth...here's a nice poster from the Golden Age...fedora and all!
http://www.dhub.org/object/61984

"Skeet"

ValenciaCalling

New in Town
I'm glad I found this thread because I was just about to start one just like it.
I really honestly can't stand beer, but I think it's because I've only had the cheap stuff at other people's houses. I'm going out to a pub in a few weeks and all I want is a beer that doesn't taste like feet. haha

Something very smooth and not bitter. Any advice?

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
ValenciaCalling said:
I'm glad I found this thread because I was just about to start one just like it.
I really honestly can't stand beer, but I think it's because I've only had the cheap stuff at other people's houses. I'm going out to a pub in a few weeks and all I want is a beer that doesn't taste like feet. haha

Welcome, VC! But prepare yourself: you've probably just touched a very raw nerve among beer lovers (most of us think the PROBLEM with much of the beer available in America, at least, is that...it's too smooth and not bitter). Sadly, it's probably the "cheap stuff" that fits your description best...and if you haven't liked that....perhaps beer is not your thing. Which is OK!

But...having said that: if it REALLY tasted like feet, you may have gotten some beer that was not well-kept; if exposed to light, for instance, it can go "skunky" and that is neither intended nor desireable. Try something off-draught at a pub that sells a lot of beer...then you can be pretty sure you're drinking the beer "as intended."

Bitterness is an acquired taste, and you may find, after a bit, you begin to appreciate it. Or not. In the meantime: avoid anything labeled as an IPA or India Pale Ale. You won't like it.

If you can find Narragansett Ale down your way...you might like that. Or Brooklyn Lager. I just sampled an offering from Vermont's Magic Hat brewery last night....a filtered Hefeweizen named CIRCUS BOY. While wheat beers have a little tang to them (although I doubt they'd fall into the "feet" category :rolleyes: ) this was a very smooth, very acceptable and interesting brew. You might give it a whirl....

If there's a microbrewery near you, go to it. Most will serve you samplers of their various brews...and, while there will be some WEIRD beers in there...there will also be some that are brewed for...people just like you, who want a decent beer, but one with training wheels attached (Please believe me: that's not in any way intended as a slight or a put-down. Like I said above: beer is an acquired taste, and it only makes sense to start small and then see which direction you go). Microbreweries are perhaps the best place for you to learn about beer...they're staffed with beer crazies, the beer is as fresh as it possibly can be, and they offer a broad selection.

Welcome to the Lounge; I hope you'll keep us informed of your experiences as you [try to] learn to love beer! :)

"Skeet"

ValenciaCalling said:
I'm glad I found this thread because I was just about to start one just like it. I really honestly can't stand beer, but I think it's because I've only had the cheap stuff at other people's houses. I'm going out to a pub in a few weeks and all I want is a beer that doesn't taste like feet. haha Something very smooth and not bitter. Any advice?
Most people that don't like beer don't like the bitter hop qualities that make beer refreshing. If you have a pub or store with extensive coverage look for fruit beers from Belgium, some of them taste more like wine coolers :eek: .

ladybrettashley

One of the Regulars
ValenciaCalling said:

Just don't get Fat Tire, then! :p It's one of the few beers i think taste like feet. But, then, it's awfully hard to discuss tastes.

It's possible, as Skeet said, that beer's just not your thing, which is a good thing to know, too!

I think a wheat beer would be a good place to start on the mild (but not flavorless) side of things. A lot of places seem to have Blue Moon now, but there are a lot of good Hefeweizen/wheat beers.

Alternately, if you find that you simply don't like beer, but still want something to drink at a pub, try a cider. I can't stand them - too sweet! - but every non-beer-drinker i've pointed to ciders has liked them.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
ValenciaCalling said:

Valencia, please, please, please...Go to Monk's Cafe on 16th Street.
http://www.monkscafe.com/

As John on Covina pointed out "....Most people that don't like beer don't like the bitter hop qualities...", you will be able to find beverages with more of the malt qualities. The staff there is very good, although I will give you one caveat, they will not refund you for beers you don't like. I'm in the city fairly often, and we do have hat crawls here and there around center city. Interested in attending one and tasting some beverages?

rumblefish

One Too Many
ValenciaCalling said:
Two that come to mind, but may not be easy to find are;
Neuzeller Bath Beer and Monschof Schwarzbier
Both are dark, sweet, and smooth. the Bath Beer is way too sweet for my liking.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
ValenciaCalling said:
Thanks everyone! I think I figured out a way to narrow things down a little. This whole thing started because my friend is taking me to this pub in July and I want to order the right thing. Look at this list and tell me which you think would be the best choice for me:

http://www.maxs.com/beerlist.php

Thanks!

That's quite a list - I'd pick the Chimay blue.

ladybrettashley

One of the Regulars
ValenciaCalling said:
Thanks everyone! I think I figured out a way to narrow things down a little. This whole thing started because my friend is taking me to this pub in July and I want to order the right thing. Look at this list and tell me which you think would be the best choice for me:

http://www.maxs.com/beerlist.php

Thanks!

Off what i said before, they've got Blue Moon (and a few other wheats i haven't had) and Woodchuck ciders. Also, Newcastle Brown is a nice smooth dark beer.

At a place with that much variety, it's likely that the bartender is one of the best people to ask what to order - assuming they aren't too busy. If they're really nice, they might even give you a little "sample" to try before you bother with a whole pint (only works with draft, obviously). Or, you could just order first and make your friend drink it if you really don't like your choice ;)

But, seriously, don't be afraid to ask the employees for a recommendation - they're generally really nice about it and knowledgeable. Then you don't end up drinking swill like Bud for years just because you're scared of ordering (*ahem* not that i'm speaking from personal experience or anything)!

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Cider/Cidre

ValenciaCalling said:
I think I'm going to try the cider while I'm there./QUOTE]

Good for you! It was Woodpecker, I think? I can't remember that particular cider off hand...but be aware that some of them in the British style have a certain mustiness to them; this is part of the style, and not a sign that things have gone bad. It is very pleasant, if you like it.

For ciders without mustiness, you might try our New-England Woodchuck (I particularly like their Dark & Dry...even if it's a misnomer: dark it may be..."dry" it is not, although it's the least sweet of their offerings). An absolutely lovely Quebecois cider is named Mystique...if you can find it. Delightful!

"Skeet"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buhles