Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Great Beer Thread

A superior Ale delivery.

dnjan said:
To my taste, a hoppy beer always tastes better if available on a pump (British beer engine) rather than from a normal tap under CO2. Less bite, and the hops bitterness doesn't cover the rest of the flavour.
CO2 dispensors add carbonation over time and that creates an acid in the beer which adds to the tartness and competes with the malt balance.

The pump uses a minimal CO2 blanket which doesn't force the CO2 into the beer, the kegs are at warmer Cellar temps which slows the accumulation of CO2 in the beer, and the pump gives the beer a "slosh" which releases some of the CO2 and allows a lot more nuances to come forward in aroma and taste while the beer is softer in nature and easier to drink.

ALSO:
The nitrogen type of Guinness taps helps protect against the same CO2 invasion, protecting flavor and the softnes of the brew.

tortswon

Practically Family
Agreed

Don and John, I could not agree with both of you more. When it comes to beer (and wine) EVERYTHING counts. The hand pump is, IMO, the best way to serve hoppy beers. Fortunately, here in Philly there are at least a dozen bars where you can get beers from a beer engine a/k/a hand pump. That said, I think that as California went through a phase where each Chardonay strove to be bigger, butterier, and vanillaier, many of the hop driven beers are just striving to break the record for Platos without regard for taste. Best, Sam

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Anchor Porter is truly an outstanding porter, American or British this will stand up to all comers. Liberty ale is the father of the hoppy malty "in your face" american ale. Fritz did good, did real good.

dnjan

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
CO2 dispensors add carbonation over time and that creates an acid in the beer which adds to the tartness and competes with the malt balance.

The pump uses a minimal CO2 blanket which doesn't force the CO2 into the beer, the kegs are at warmer Cellar temps which slows the accumulation of CO2 in the beer, and the pump gives the beer a "slosh" which releases some of the CO2 and allows a lot more nuances to come forward in aroma and taste while the beer is softer in nature and easier to drink.

ALSO:
The nitrogen type of Guinness taps helps protect against the same CO2 invasion, protecting flavor and the softnes of the brew.
A number of years ago a local brewpub happened to have their standard stout available in three different forms - on CO2, on nitrogen, and also in cask-conditioned form on a pump. Amazing side-by-side comparison!

Currently, the same brewpub (Hales) will frequently put a double-dry-hopped version of their IPA on the pump. Wonderful beer that way!

dnjan said:
A number of years ago a local brewpub happened to have their standard stout available in three different forms - on CO2, on nitrogen, and also in cask-conditioned form on a pump. Amazing side-by-side comparison!!
Wow! You're a lucky dog! I'd love to do similar comparisons of flavor changes by the different delivery systems. Anderson Valley's Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout is one I'd like to do the 3 way test on.

dnjan

One Too Many
It truly was luck. When I asked about it, I was told that the stout on the pump happened early because the previous cask-conditioned ran out early. And the stout on CO2 lasted longer than expected. They implied that having the same beer available three ways would be unlikely to happen again. :(

Newteh

New in Town
Living in England I have the pleasure of draught real ale on my doorstep.

In the village we have 5 pubs and they usually have 3 ales on tap each, sometimes a guest ale from far away. So from over 1000 ales to sample in England, and have my work cut out :p

dnjan

One Too Many
Is the situation as good in London itself? Or have the city pubs gone "corporate". I remember a number of years ago there was a big push to bring back "real beer".

dnjan

One Too Many
Don't miss Pubs in St. Louis?

I will be in St. Louis early next week for a meeting, staying near the arch. Any nearby (walking distance) pubs I shouldn't miss?
Nirvana, of course, would be a brewpub with good food and at least one pump ...

Egerland

New in Town
American Ale by Budweiser

Anybody else try Budweiser's American Ale yet?

Its not the greatest beer in the world, but a very decent tipple. Light years better than regular Bud.

Koenigpilsner from Germany is pretty good too. On tap locally at the Phoenix Club in Anaheim - home of Orange County's best Oktoberfest.

1OldGI

Familiar Face
My Take on Beer

Me? I've got beers divided into three categories: all the time beer, hot weather beer, and cooler weather beer. The all the times tend to lean toward the cheap and good direction (Natural Light, Bud and the occassional Coors). Hot weather beers get a bit fancier and are typically consumed in the oppressive heat of late spring/early summer. Beers in this category include Red Stripe, Corona, and San Miguel (when and if I can find it). Cooler weather beers tend to be a bit heavier and include Sam Adams, Yuengling Black and Tan and Newcastle.

rumblefish

One Too Many
I had an Orval tonight, first one in a while (probably since last winter). One of a few real Trappist ales, this one stands out for me for it delectable bitterness.

dnjan

One Too Many
Egerland said:
Anybody else try Budweiser's American Ale yet?

Its not the greatest beer in the world, but a very decent tipple. Light years better than regular Bud.
I had somebody else tell me about this beer. They wondered if Bud brewed it themselves, or had it done at a local microbrewery. They thought it tasted too good for a beer brewed at bud.

On the topic of budweiser beer, I had some time to kill at the St.Louis airport yesterday, and went to the bud lounge for a late lunch. They had bud's version of a Belgian wit on as their seasonal. The first glass was brought out to me with a slice of orange in it, and I couldn't really taste anything but the orange. For the second glass I asked that there be no orange, and I couldn't really taste much of anything. I guess I would describe it as an "American Belgian Light". The "American" meant to imply the vast difference in flavour between an American wheat and a German Hefeweizen, and the "Light" meaning that I didn't even get much of the taste that was there.

Egerland

New in Town
thoughts on Budweiser

I've never tasted Bud's attempts at Belgian style beer.

To me the curious thing is that Bud has the money, technology, and know-how to brew whatever they want. Why they want to sell mediocre beer is beyond me. Kind of like GM vehicles, you look at it and wonder "what were they thinking?" Of course, GM cars are starting to look a lot better lately...

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Egerland said:
To me the curious thing is that Bud has the money, technology, and know-how to brew whatever they want. Why they want to sell mediocre beer is beyond me.

Money, plain and simple. A lot of people buy it. A better question would be, "Why do a lot of people want to drink mediocre beer?"

Brad

Kermez

A-List Customer
Because most people are morons.

I work with a least 6 people who firmly believe either Bud Light or Miller Lite is the be-all-end-all beer in existence.

Baby_Nae

New in Town
Kreik is my favorite :) Everyone I know raves about the Breckenridge 471 IPA though. A little too hoppy for my taste......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo