Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Great Beer Thread

grundie

One of the Regulars
I've become rather partial to Innis and Gunn's oak aged beer as of late. The flavour is very rich and woody as you wood expect from a cask aged beer, but it's not so heavy you can't have it as a session beer.

Henry Hughes

New in Town
My local Co-Op carries a great selection of Foreign Beers that I have thoroughly enjoyed trying. So far my favorites have been a couple of Belgian Ale's (best thing about these is the massive and unique bottle they come in) as well as a Czech beer who's name I can't for the life of me remember. And since I grew up with the whole PBR revival thing out here in the west I do enjoy Pabst simply as a cheap brew.

jaymag_87

New in Town
I would have to say that my favorite beer is Free Beer.
Followed closely by Bought Beer.

I kid...:D

I have to go with Shiner Bock as the favorite. I also am partial to Guiness.

Several others:
Many of the other Shiner flavors
Paulaner Hefeweissen
Sam Adams
Fat Tire
Red Stripe
Dos Equis
Negra Modelo
Yeungling (when I can bum it off my local Penn State friends who "Bootleg" it in)
...and many others that I can't remember.

Two old favorites that I haven't seen in several years; Black Dog Ale and Rhino Chaser. I'd like to find them, again. I think someone is brewing Black Dog, but I haven't seen it in a couple months.

jaymag_87

New in Town
John in Covina said:
-------
...Same thing happened when Coors started to make Killians Red...

First time I had Killian's Red, here in the States, I thought that it was a total waste of money and time. There was absolutely no flavor, whatsoever. Worthless.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
acmeipa.jpg

Lunch today in So-Cal

If you're in Southern California a nd are into beer one of the places that's worth a visit is

The Stuffed Sandwich is located at:
1145 East Las Tunas Dr
San Gabriel, CA 91776
Phone (626) 285-9161.
There is parking in the front and the back.

The Stuffed Sandwich is a fine sandwich shop with a selection of over 700 beers in the bottle and about a dozen taps of specialty draft brews. They probably have the largest beer selection west of the Mississippi! Noted for great hot and cold sandwiches plus fabulous home made soups and salads. It’s a fun and quirky place to grab a beer and a bite to eat while chatting with friends. If the weather is nice their front patio offers outdoor dining. They also have a nice Wine selection to choose from if beer isn’t your thing. Lots of soft drinks are available too.

Their license is the type where you must order food with any beer or wine, if you're not hungry I believe you can order it to go, ask first though. They should have an interesting variety on tap and sometimes offer a special tasting set that you can order to run thru the selections and decide on a favorite or two. Speaking of glasses, if you have a favorite beer glass, stein or mug, you should consider bringing your own. They also have a big selection of branded beer glasses for sale if you’d like to drink out of glass. (They use paper cups for serving but don’t object to most if bring you own beer glass, steins and mugs.)

If you’d like to see the place check out the web site at www.stuffedsandwich.com to see the big list and some recent pictures at their location. Some years back they were about 2 miles west in San Gabriel and moved here. It's a great place to go to try beer you have never heard of before.

Saturday's visit at the Stuffed Sandwich was fun. I tried a Lost Coast Chocolate porter which was tasty. Half way thru the pint I bounced up the brew withabout 8oz of the 2009 Sierra Nevada Bigfoot barley wine, which made it quite sublime sippin' stuff. I gave out little "sips" of the Bigfoot in these little plastic tasters that Sam and Marlene has for at the table inpromtu tastings. I also had a half pint of Stone Brewing's Russian Imperial Stout which is like putting your toungue in a half nelson. As much as I wanted another brew it was best to stop there! The drafts were all porters , stouts and Russian Imperial Stouts. They do a taster set and looking back I really should have got that so I could have tried all of the drafts.

Sometime this February they will be having a Barley Wine focused tap list!

Barley Wines at the Stuffed Sandwich

Just got the list of what going on tap for tomorrow at the Stuffed Sandwich in San Gabriel, CA. February is Barley Wine Month. Here's this year's lineup:

MARIN OLD DIPSEA BARLEYWINE STYLE ALE 2008 ~ U.S.A.

MAD RIVER JOHN BARLEYCORN BARLEYWINE ALE 2008 ~ U.S.A.

NORTH COAST OLD STOCK ALE 2001 ~ U.S.A.

LOST COAST OLD ALE 2009 ~ U.S.A.

SIERRA NEVADA BIGFOOT BARLEYWINE STYLE ALE 2009 ~ U.S.A.

STONE OLD GUARDIAN BARLEYWINE STYLE ALE 2009 ~ U.S.A.

ALESMITH OLD NUMBSKULL BARLEYWINE ALE 2009 ~ U.S.A.

RUBICON WHEAT WINE BARLEYWINE ALE 2009 ~ U.S.A.

SPEAKEASY OLD GODFATHER BARLEYWINE ALE 2008 ~ U.S.A.

(You may note that some of these go back a bit. Sam will snag extra kegs of heavy duty ales and cold age them so he can show how for many of the stronger ales time is not the enemy to the developement of great beer. He has done verticle tastings of some beers in the past.)

If you are in the area it's worth a stop in to get a bite to eat and do a taster set. Also as some beers run out they will bring on others so the line up will change over the days and weeks.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Nice article on the Bronx Brewery
http://riverdalepress.com/full.php?sid=11581&current_edition=2010-03-04

Fun facts :

The New York Times recently reported an unearthing of that history, which may now be given a second life. The paper reported brewing caves up to 20 feet wide and 100 feet deep had been uncovered in May by a developer building housing on the old Ebling Brewery site.

Among those who flouted the law was a Jewish prohibition gangster Arthur Flegenheimer, also known as Dutch Schultz. He brewed beer in the Midwest where wheat and grain were plentiful, and shipped bottles to the Bronx in a fleet of surplus WWI trucks at night, Mr. Ultan said.

topango

Familiar Face
The old PBR

Due to taking my first "hammering" at the hands of PBR, I have a certain affinity for it, but even as a teenager I knew that a lighter brew would be more to my liking, so after years of "taste tests" I have settled on, and pretty much in this order:

Becks Light, almost to light, but a great tasting low calorie well regarded beer.

Dos Equis, A favorite here in Sheridan's rental and south of the border, get it on tap if possible

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
rumblefish said:
^ I haven't had one yet. What did you think?
It's just a touch too citrusy to crack my top ten IPA's but I still give it a whirl occasionally. I'd like to taste it off the tap.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
grundie said:
I've become rather partial to Innis and Gunn's oak aged beer as of late. The flavour is very rich and woody as you wood expect from a cask aged beer, but it's not so heavy you can't have it as a session beer.

A very tasty brew! I just wish the bottles we get in Canada weren't so wee!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot