Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Great Mac vs. Windows Debate

matei

One Too Many
Thanks Salv - this is exactly what I was looking for.

I really like the thought that Apple puts into their designs, as well as how they haven't licensed it out to everyone and their granny.

To me, Mac's hardware and OS are intriguing. Having the option to drop into the Unix command line is neat as well.

For a while I was using BeOS as my home OS, but the company experienced financial issues and as such BeOS is no more. It was a neat OS, somewhere between MacOS and Windows

jazzbass

Familiar Face
I've only had Macs. I started with the 2nd Mac ever made--the little 9 in screen B&W model. Since I learned Macs first, Windoze always seemed kinda clunky when I've used it. Maybe I'd feel differently if I'd learned it first.

I'm about ready for a new model (My current Mac is nearly 4 years old) and now that the Intel processors are a reality it's about time for the plunge.

System X rocks

jazzbass

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I got my first Mac about 6 years ago, a 15" IMac, which still runs like new. I loved it so much I got an iBook, and now I have an iBook G4, which I also love.
The OS runs great, it is a fast machine that is incredibly easy to use, and will do anything I need it to do.
I'm very happy with all of my Mac's and would recommend them to anyone.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
At home I finally settled in with, for me at least, the most stable Windoze yet- XP. Only had it freeze a handful of times in 5 years. When I was in the printing/graphic design industry Mac dominated as the best combination of platform and software. No professional used a PC to design. Of course hardware and software change and improve. Now it's at a point where the software versions for PC or Mac are the exact same and high dollar, professional graphics cards are equal too.

I don't think there's much difference if you're just goofing around at home although the Mac people will not agree:) I for one have always enjoyed the hobby aspect of computers and I actually loved programming the old DOS commands in the sub system.

I guess Mac is the best bet for someone who wants to use the computer as a basic appliance and the PC is more fun for those who enjoy the niggling about aspect:)

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
I've been on Macs since '88. My first job out of college was at an engineering firm in Houston that had us doing pseudo technical drawings for proposals. Believe it or not, almost all of NASA-JSC was Mac back then. Mac was getting big in the business world until Gil Amelio became CEO. Under his leadership they dropped all the aggressive pro business and education initiatives, and let Gates slip right in.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

I have been publishing magazines for ten years now. When I first began, a lot of people in the industry said either "it can't be done", "you will have a hard time finding a printer who will take PC files", "it won't look as good" and "you will become frustrated and switch". None of that has come to pass.

To be fair, Apple has gotten on top of their game and improved a few things....most notably their monitors. They are really nice. Also Microsoft has gone soft and change a few things to be Mac-ish that I am not happy about. I wish Gates and company would stick to logic over warm fuzzy. The place where you dealt with your files used to be called "File Manager". A perfect term. They changed that to "Windows Explorer". "Explorer", "wizard" and "My___" (insert just about anything) are WAY over used. Bad move...but it is just semantics.

My biggest complaint is this new idea of showing a "My Documents" not on a hard drive....but above it on the tree. It has be on a drive. It is not floating out in space. This is VERY illogical, incorrect and misleading. Now other software makers want to *be special* and have their folders there too. You delete the dumb thing and it will come back everytime you go to save a photo or reboot.

Regardless of my gripes with Microsoft, I am sticking to the PC. I have more faith in capitalism than communism. Like the Soviet Union, Mac is a closed system. You have one company making all the computers...and most of the hardware for the entire platform. The advantage of a closed system is that they can control the parameters. That will make for a very stable system. PC embraces the free market. If you build a better computer or any piece of hardware, you can enter the market. The advatage here is that more good ideas come to the game. That is why they have 90% of the market.;) I have owned PCs since the late eighties. I have seen the platforms jump ahead in front of the other. They go back and forth. In the end, they are all good and have amazing capability these days. Use what works for you....actually....my best advice for someone getting into the game is to figure out who is going to be your computer guru. Who are you going to call when it doesn't work or you can't figure out what to do? Everyone needs to have someone in their life to call for help. Buy what platform they have.

Just my 2 cents.

jake431

Practically Family
I've been using Macs since 1987. I think the first one I remember was a Macintosh Plus, followed by a Macintosh SE/30. I have a Powerbook, but I think I'll make the jump to one of the new MacBooks or a MacBookPro.

But, I've used PC's at work most of my prodessional life.I've always wanted to build my own PC though too, so we'll see. Maybe I'll have both.

-Jake

mac convert here! Simply because i don't have a computer at home, the baroness does, and it's a Mac. At work i use PCs.

I have no problem with PC or Microsoft, though i think their current system changes are pointless and misguided. Really, they aren't gonna win anyone over from Mac - itself a very limited, very small market share. Why make Windows run and look like a Mac OS? Seems like a waste of time ... and a very bloated waste of time.

bk

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

J. M. Stovall said:
Actually Apple only has 2.41% of the world computer market share. But BMW only has 1.8% of the world automobile share. Does that mean their cars are no good?;)

Not exactly a good comparison. There are not only two car makers. It would be more fitting a point if BMW had 1.8% and Chevy had 98.2%.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
According to the Wall Street Journal, JupiterResearch surveyed technology decision makers at 258 medium and large businesses and projected that 33 percent would be running Macs next year, while only 21 percent were doing so now.

Last year Apple sold 4.7 million Macs, up 35 percent from 2004, and way ahead of the 16 percent growth for the industry as a whole during the same period.

Last year 55.1% of all OS shipments worldwide were Windows. Linux managed to account for 23.1% of the market, and Mac is a Unix based OS.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
I use both types of machine, working with Vectorworks CAD & Artlantis for rendering, and from my experience they are both just another piece of equipment. (Both have equally worked well, and disappointed me at times.)

At least I don't have to use AutoCad.:rage:

Dr. Shocker

One of the Regulars
I am a long time Mac user as well....I have the MacBook Pro and I can tell you with the switch to Mactel you will come across a few complications (not many) but not all the ppc software will run in rosetta.....ussually the smaller private company stuff......ut many of them are racing to be universal and where as I had mine within 3/4 months of its release it has gotten so much easier.......

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Salv gave some good sites for digging up useful answers to problems.

Having helped people for over 4 years dealing with the switch from PC to Mac, one thing I have noticed is that people thing the CPU will read their mind. Take a deep breath, get some hot chocolate, and learn the OS. Its the greatest jem of the Macworld. Once you fuddle around it, unabashed, youll be comfortable and confident. Mess up, its alright. You cant brake a CPU with software.

Here are a couple of other sites when you get a bit more advanced in your questions or want to so some above the bar things with your new computer.

http://macintouch.com/
http://www.apple.com/usergroups/

One of the best resources is gonna be the Apple website. Man oh man do they have that thing stocked.

Also the Apple stores offer a membership called Pro Care. Its $100 a year and you can get as much an hour a day one on one personal training on just about any current Piece of Software run on a Mac. I used it (learned Flash that way) and man was it invaluable.

A couple of things Id reccomend to everyone.
1. Get an external HD and back up back up back up.
2. NEVER be afraid to do an erase and install. Hence #1.

One thing (side comment) youll notice now are remarks that people will say about you being a Mac user. Not necessarlly bad, but sometimes a bit uppity. Generally from people who dont know Macs, only the rumors or stereotypes they hear of them. Just grin and bear it. There are millions who do.

Well good luch with your switch and I hope your new CPU makes many things in your life easier.

LD

Steve

Practically Family
My sister just got a MacBook and she is loving it. The fact that I've barely had to help her with it at all, (I've had some experience with Mac products, and my sister is not the most computer-literate person in the world,) is a testimony to how easy the switch is.

Personally, if I hadn't spent the bulk of my money for the year on a new camera, I'd replace my PC with a Mac.

Powerhouse

One of the Regulars
Go MAC!

I've been using Macs since I started using computers, about 10 years now. PCs and Macs both have some flaws, but that's life. I think Macs are easier and more streamlined to use, and definately nicer to look at. Conrgratz on a good move!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats