Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Great Mac vs. Windows Debate

S

Samsa

I just bought my first Mac today - a Macbook (not Pro). So far I couldn't be happier with it (I've been sitting in front of it for the past five hours). All I know is that I was sick to death of Windows, which I have been using regularly for the past ten years or so.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Congragumilations!

I tend to think on my Macs as part of the fam. Crazy, I know, but I do.
Remember, dont get discouraged, there is a large community of folks out there to help you over a hurdle. Consult versiontracker.com or one of the many mac forum sites before you believe some one who says "that wont work with a Mac". And most of all, your Mac is there to make your computtin' experience fun, productive, and intuitive.

LD

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Samsa said:
I just bought my first Mac today - a Macbook (not Pro). So far I couldn't be happier with it (I've been sitting in front of it for the past five hours). All I know is that I was sick to death of Windows, which I have been using regularly for the past ten years or so.

And questions? ASK!

S

Samsa

scotrace said:
And questions? ASK!

Not so far, but thanks for asking! I really have found it to be quite intuitive, especially compared to Windows. Setting up a wireless connection and using BlueTooth have both been a breeze, as has backing up my files through my .Mac account.

My only question has been addressed to myself, and is rhetorical: why did I wait so long to make the move to Mac?:D

Phil

A-List Customer
My main argument against a Mac is that they're basically monopolizing their computers and forcing you to buy their goods. If you want a Mac computer, buy it. But don't forget, if you want some extra slave components, they have to be Mac compatible, if you want any hardcopy devices, they have to be Mac compatable. MY biggest gripe with Mac is that if you want an upgrade, you have to buy a whole new computer. I just don't like the idea of having to buy a whole new computer for one or two upgrades that can be easily done on a PC by myself. Also, PC's are a lot more personalizeable. I have my computer basically customized to the point that it's a machine version of me. I have gone as far as to change the loading window upon start up. Mac doesn't do that, it's a free thinker. From my view, a Mac is an electronic hippie.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
*sigh*
I prolly should not reply to the last comment, nor should I make this a debate (again) but I kinda wanna clear up spme of Phill's reply.

Mac, as with windows is an OS. And as such, there is code that is 'protected' by the company that makes it. Licensing to third party venders to support said OS is up to the company. Now, I am no programer or parts manufacturer by any streach, but I just wanted to list some links that do what Phill said dont.

http://www.koingosw.com/products/macpilot.php
Mac Pilot 2.1.7 Unlock over 300 hidden features and other
advanced UNIX commands with ease!

http://eshop.macsales.com/
processor upgrades

Im sure there will be rebuff, but I will not reply.
That is all you will hear from me. :)
Thanks,

LD

Salv

One Too Many
Phil said:
My main argument against a Mac is that they're basically monopolizing their computers and forcing you to buy their goods.
Assuming you mean "Apple" in this context, have you seen the amount of non-Apple, third-party software available for the Mac? Nobody is forced to buy Aperture, .Mac, AppleWorks, iWork, Final Cut, Logic Pro, Shake - there are plenty of alternatives. The Apple apps tend to be more popular than the alternatives, but then you can't fault Apple for making applications that people want to buy.
Phil said:
If you want a Mac computer, buy it. But don't forget, if you want some extra slave components, they have to be Mac compatible, if you want any hardcopy devices, they have to be Mac compatable.
How is that different from a Windows PC? Any peripheral has to be compatible with your OS.
Phil said:
MY biggest gripe with Mac is that if you want an upgrade, you have to buy a whole new computer. I just don't like the idea of having to buy a whole new computer for one or two upgrades that can be easily done on a PC by myself.
This used to be sort-of true for consumer Macs: processor, HD and video card upgrades were available but were difficult to fit (pro models have always been, and still are, completely and easily upgradable), but the current consumer Mini and iMac can be upgraded without too much trouble.
Phil said:
Also, PC's are a lot more personalizeable. I have my computer basically customized to the point that it's a machine version of me. I have gone as far as to change the loading window upon start up. Mac doesn't do that, it's a free thinker. From my view, a Mac is an electronic hippie.
Customising the UI is the first thing any new Mac user learns, and we've been able to change the startup window for as long as I've been a Mac user with OS 8. I wouldn't be surprised if earlier versions of the OS allowed it as well. I'm baffled as to why you would think that's any kind of selling point.

matei

One Too Many
Update... Both Macs are up and running, and I'm in the process of importing our massive music and film collections to the Mini (with an external drive of course).

So far the adjustment has been very straightforward and a lot of fun. I'm still getting used to things in Mac land, but it is an enjoyable experience on the whole.

I've got to pop open the Mini to add more RAM, but other than that, all is up and running.

The MacBook Pro is a joy to use, since I maxed-out the RAM it flies. The screen is lovely and the keyboard is one of the most comfortable ones I've ever used.

Thanks again to everyone for their helpful suggestions!

Salv

One Too Many
And how many currently available PCs running Windows XP can cope with 8-core processing? A stock Mac Pro had its two dual-core processors replaced with two sample quad-core Intel processors and it ran with no problems at all.

matei said:
Update... Both Macs are up and running
Good news - not that we expected anything else of course.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
To me a computer is a computer. I have both. A Powerbook G4 and a Sony Vaio. The PC is 4 years old already and I still use it for my movie editing. Yes, Apple is well known for Final Cut Pro, but I do not like Final Cut Pro for certain reasons, which is why I stick with my PC for certain duties. I normally use my Apple for the internet and playing music, and Photoshop, mostly. I do other things but they are the same to me. I just wish my Apple could run the movie editing software on my PC. Too much technical mumbo jumbo. :p

pgoat

One Too Many
Mac or Windows? And why?

sorry if this debate has already been covered (please feel free to redirect me to that thread if so....)

We need to buy a new computer......We've never owned a Mac, but I've used a G3 workstation and a eMac at various jobs and liked them. (The wife has never used a Mac but I think the learning curve is about 5 minutes or so...).

I am no tech wiz, but I understand most computer literate folks feel Macs are much more secure, especially running OS X or Linux. I don't care so much about the bling factor tho I admit I like the GUI on a mac.

We're currently on Windows XP and I do like it - The Interface there is fine for me. I've heard nasty stuff about Vista and if it is anything like the torturous 18 months we suffered through with Windows ME, I am staying far far away from it.

Any thoughts on what you prefer for home use? Including Operating Systems?

We really want to buy with expansion in mind, so we're looking at a Mac Pro with the intention of adding more hard drives and memory as $ allows in future. Right now we're on a 20 gig machine with the old 512MB RAM. Fine in its day and it's lasted us almost a decade with a few repairs here and there but that's just not enough memory these days. We got a 300 Gig External drive for more storage but the latency issues are quite heinous so we haven't used it much. We use the computer for video (you tube, news, etc - not DVD movies) and music (mostly to synch to a mP3 player), no games or anything like that.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
There is nearly no need for the average user to get a Mac Pro. Unless you're doing a tremendous amount of processor-intensive graphics or rendering/animation work, you're probably better off getting an iMac, or a Mac Mini.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Agreed. As of last week, the Mac Pro is only needed if you are regularly making Hollywood-quality films, or crunching HUGE graphics daily.

An iMac would be fine for any home user. RAM and HD are not that hard to upgrade at all down the road.

Ugarte

A-List Customer
I'm no help here. I build my own and pretty much run Linux, though I've got some Windows XP machines because they aren't as worthless some would have you believe.

I'm sure you're going to get a lot of opinions more studied and informed than mine, but I've been working with this stuff since about 1989 so it's not like I'm totally ignorant.

Macs are still a low-maintenance, short learning-curve, high expense option. Yes, you can spend about the same amount on PC hardware that is comparable, but you don't have to. My aunt likes to read e-mail from her kids and play solitare. That doesn't take much machine and a full-on Macintosh would be wasted on her.

PC hardware is pretty much commoditized -- you buy 'em like you buy a coffee pot or whatever. Upgrades can be more affordable on a PC than a Mac because of this commoditization and because Apple still maintains a stranglehold on system specs. This also means there's a lot more choice when it comes to purchasing hardware for a PC.

I run a Linux desktop and a couple of servers by choice. It's not just that Linux is free (as in beer), but I am reasonably comfortable with the relatively smaller tech support base and "rolling my own" from time to time.

Okay, it's late and I'm rambling. Good luck with this.

Mark

Fridaynight

Familiar Face
I like Macs a lot better, unfortunately, I'm much better at working with Windows so that's what I use.

Lately my mom's Mac has been running awfully slow and I wouldn't even know where to start to fix the problem on my own. [huh]

Rufus

Practically Family
I'm an artist and work daily on my mac. It's OSX platform is wonderful, and exceptionally user friendly and stable.

I recently bought a reconditioned Mac for a friend as a birthday present, to help get him in touch with others, and learn Photoshop and Illustrator.

If you are only needing the mac for Home entertainment, there are licensed Mac dealers whom you get a G4 off very reasonably, as you do not need the High end 'Pro' series.

Just a suggestion!

:) Rufus... typing on his wonderful, much loved mac...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes