Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hatco Outlet Store in Garland, TX

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Anybody know what days and hours the Outlet is open? I think I need to drive up there here pretty soon but none of the listings on the web give hours of operation.

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
Anybody know what days and hours the Outlet is open? I think I need to drive up there here pretty soon but none of the listings on the web give hours of operation.

copied from a post that was written by J.T. Marcus: "Monday through Saturday. Mid-morning till 5:30 or 6:00pm."

Cattus Petasatus

One of the Regulars
I just took a visit to the outlet store. Now I'm wishing i had a wad of cash I didn't need.

They didn't have a lot in my size (7 3/4) but they had enough. Prices were good too. Keep in mind that it is an outlet store, so there are defects on some of the hats. Although some defects are so small and not noticeable the price more than compensates.

They are open till 6, Monday-Saturday, closed Sunday. BTW, they are closed January 12 & 13 for inventory.

If anyone wants to make a run up there on the 24th, let me know. I'm in.

javadave61

Practically Family
I just bought a round trip ticket from Baltimore to Dallas for $82 on Southwest. Unbelievable! Taking my whole family of five to Dallas to see family in November for a whopping $410. So... all you guys in the mid-Atlantic region... time to book your day trip to the outlet!

I just bought a round trip ticket from Baltimore to Dallas for $82 on Southwest. Unbelievable! Taking my whole family of five to Dallas to see family in November for a whopping $410. So... all you guys in the mid-Atlantic region... time to book your day trip to the outlet!

Wow, I just checked. Best I can do is $229. What airline?

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
I went, I saw and I was.......... letdown!
The outlet does have a great number of hats, both western and what I have grown to term "City" hats.
I found the prices to be very high! I spent an hour and a half combing the outlet for the supposed deals. There are a few "red tag" (Which is simply a tag with a red slash) that are 50% off the maximum retail price. There is also a table as you enter with hats that were rejected for a multitude of reasons, these are marked down as well.
I set out with great anticipation of obtaining a new treasure at the factory and left with nothing but disappointment.
I can purchase these same hats much cheaper in Atlanta. In short, Caveat emptor, it may not be such a great deal.

I purchased a Resistol Shorthorn II in Acorn from Horsetown in Marietta, GA for $180. The same hat at the factory outlet was priced at $210. Just as a point of reference for cost difference.

Last edited:

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
If I may be brutally honest, I believe Hatco/Stetson/Resistol are in the same line of thinking as any other company in the world. "Maximum profit on any and everything we produce."
My disappointment is my own fault, I expected the outlet to be cheaper.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Maybe.
As maybe this was not the right time to go there. Probably when even the outlet is getting full and the need to "dump" products, we can really find good opportunities.
Some go there just to dig that prototype or odd combination of elements on a hat that you are not hunting.

Well, just got back from the outlet. Made a stop there prior to getting over to Ft. Worth to my hotel. Unlike WHW, I had some luck. This was my second trip; last year I was a bit overwhelmed and, since they had stacks of discount hats I walked out with several. This year I am much pickier. If I couldn't find something of Royal Deluxe Quality, preferably open crown, I wasn't going to bite. And of course I was hoping for a Strat. They had some Strats in my size but, alas, none of the higher, open crown quality. For those of you big-headed guys, there were a few in 7 1/2 and 7 5/8, but no 7 1/4. What I found were two Racines and an Absinthe. The Absinthe was pretty nice looking, and I liked the Sage color, but it was not up to par and was obvious why it was in the outlet. The thing that killed it for me was a lower quality sweatband than the sheepskin. There was one other, that was marked as a prototype, but it was a mess. The sweat said Excellent, the liner said Royal, and the felt wasn't as nice as the newer open crowns.

To make a long story short, here is a pic of my Racine - looks just like Javadave's!

Picture1.jpg

The felt quality is on par with my new Stetsonian, and is very soft. I gave it a good once-over and didn't see too much off about it. The felt is consistent, the sweat's nice, I'm sure I'll find something eventually. But for $129, I'm happy. Most nicer quality hats were in the $129 range. I saw some Dobbs in the $75 - $100, and a few Knox, marked for Levine Hat Company. As previously noted (I think by Javadave), the felt on these are nice, but the sweatbands are awful. I think they were going for $50-$60.

I had it shipped home, so it should arrive about the same time I get back on Friday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21