Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Johnny Ringo Hat

Earp

One of the Regulars
There was some discussion on another thread dealing with cowboy hat conversions about the hat worn by Johnny Ringo in the movie Tombstone. Several people expressed interest in converting one of their cowboy hats to this style. The hat is unique looking in that it has a lopsided crown and a sweeping brim. It kinda' looks like a sideways teardrop crown.

Below are some screen captures showing the hat from various angles in order to get an idea of it's attributes. I had hoped to get more than this but these are the best views from the movie. A lot of times the angles were redundant or the scene was too dark to afford any detail. Just to show that this lopsided crown treatment was historically accurate, the last picture is a vintage image of Billy The Kid.

I'm very interested in seeing any conversions that are done to make this hat -- or if anyone has had one made, it would be nice to see it along with copious views of the hat inside and out.

DanielJones, could you please give us any information you have about the hat and its maker?

johnny_ringo.jpg

tombstone.jpg

johnnyringo1.jpg
johnnyringo3.jpg

johnnyringo4.jpg
johnnyringo5.jpg

johnnyringo6.jpg
billy_the_kid_.jpg

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Very cool Wyatt! Thanks a bunch for the screen captures, this will be a huge help. I don't know much about the hat it's self, but Tom Hirt is known as the hat maker for the movies. He had made most of the hats for Tombstone including the Johnny Rongo hat and the hats for Buck Taylor, Val Kilmer, Kurt Russell & Michael Rooker. With the exception of Kurt Russell's hat, they all had that swoop or bar room crease in the front of the brim. If you think of contacting Tom it is best to do it by letter or phone. He has an e-mail address but if you send an e-mail you will most likely get a hand written letter in return. It's just how he is, but he will respond to you, it just takes a while. Anyway, that's all I know, but you could visit his site and see some of his creations and get a better idea of what I am talking about.
http://www.tomhirt.com/index.htm

Also if you are on a budget I think that Golden Gate Western Wear makes a copy of just about any one of the Tombstone hats. I can't vouch for the quality but if you are on a budget and can't afford a custom you may want to look at these guys. Just an idea.
http://www.goldengatewesternwear.com/
Anyway, that's about all I know on this one. If there is someone else that can shed a bit more light on the subject, please do so. Knowledge is key!;)

Cheers!

Dan

Earp

One of the Regulars
That's weird !?!!

In the last two pics of of Johnny Ringo the hat band and knot treatment is switched to the opposite side. I wonder why that was done? At first I thought my computer had somehow "mirrored" the image when I captured it, but the brim curl is still in the same place and the crown is still lopsided on the correct side. Hmmmm ....

jpdesign

Vendor
thats a braided horsehair band over a grograine ribbon from the looks of it, they seem to have not had the horsehair stitched on and it slid around, or someone was playing with it and put is back on backwards.

Jimmy

Mark G

A-List Customer
I used to work for the motion picture industry and it was probably nothing more than a continuity error. Happens all the time. The scene was more than likely a reshoot and no one was around to notice. There's a lot going on and it just slipped by.

RBH

Bartender
For my part I love everything about Tombstone.
:eek:fftopic:
But Mark G, just want to let ya know I love your coat [jacket] in your avatar.
With your hat that is such a cool picture, just everyone cant pull that look off , but you do, and do it very well

you remind me of Gene Hackman in that picture

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Earp said:
In the last two pics of of Johnny Ringo the hat band and knot treatment is switched to the opposite side. I wonder why that was done? At first I thought my computer had somehow "mirrored" the image when I captured it, but the brim curl is still in the same place and the crown is still lopsided on the correct side. Hmmmm ....

Wyatt,

How do you avoid the anamorphic distortion in your screen captures. My tests on a 3:4 ratio film "Twelve O'Clock High" were perfect, but Jack Sparrow for my wife is coming out a bit long in the face. Don't know how to overide the 1:1.85.[huh]

dean

Pat_H

A-List Customer
A lot of the "cowboy" hats in that film seem to be based on the Boss of the Plains style. I happened to watch the film again just the other day and was noting that. Not all of them all, but a lot of them are.

I've been told by somebody who was familiar with the making of the movie that one of the persons consulted for the costumes was particularly knowledgable about cowboy clothing of that region and period, and that the clothing depicted is therefore unusually accurate.

Mark G

A-List Customer
His name is Peter Sherayko. He played Texas Jack and had a hand (along with producer John Fasno) in both the costumes,the holsters and weapons.

Everything in the movie was as close to period as possible... no Winchester 92's, no pants belts etc.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
The swoop in the brim

as it is being referred to, probably is not a style feature as much as a usage occurrence. My western work hats often end up with a "swoop" due to my taking my hat off. Swatting a calf to make her move, encouraging a horse to speed up etc... this can and does cause a non symmetric brim.

Earp

One of the Regulars
Pat_H said:
I've been told by somebody who was familiar with the making of the movie that one of the persons consulted for the costumes was particularly knowledgable about cowboy clothing of that region and period, and that the clothing depicted is therefore unusually accurate.

I love this movie. It looks like a lot of folks here at the lounge do as well. Nice info on the accuracy of the clothing, Mark G.

DanielJones gave us that link to Hatmaker Bill Knudson's website. Mr. Knudson makes what looks like a very accurate copy of the Jonny Ringo hat and he says on the site that the movie Tombstone was the most authentic in costuming since William S. Hart and that it set a new high watermark for authentic period hats, especially in the use of the Boss of the Plains and its variations. In reference to the Johnny Ringo style hat in particular he says that it actually was not an uncommon form in original photographs.

And I'm sure Bud-N-Texas is right -- the folks who saw to those kinds of details in the movie had many of the hats dusty and looking well used and that brim detail must have been added as part of that attention to authenticity. If you want to look like you've seen some rough riding and cowboy action, it looks like Bill can give any hat he makes a similar treatment complete with dust stains and distressing to give it that well used look. Or you can be like Bud-N-Texas and actually do some rough riding & cowboy action. :) Pretty cool.

Regards,
--Wyatt--

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I particularly liked Buck Taylors hat as well as Turkey Creek Jack Johnson.
moviesbucktaylor.jpg

It has that Santa Fe Pony Express look.;)

In the makings of the movie they said that the costuming was based on actual clothes from the period that were stashed away in a collection. Bright vivid colors were the norm, especially amongst the cowboys of that area. When it was time to come into town, they wanted to show off their hard earned money by getting all slicked up and dressing like a dandy. The browns & drab colors were just movie colors from the past because they didn't know what colors the folks wore back then since all there was were the black & white photos & sepia tones to reference. Sot of like today, you'll see more folks dressing in flashy colors and the so called 'bling' than in muted earthy tones when getting all tonied-up. So, it stands to reason that this film was much more accurate in costuming color than it's counterpart of that year, "Wyatt Earp" which was much more drab in appearance. Although I did like Costners hat in that one too. Funny how all comes back to hats.;)

Cheers!

Dan

Earp

One of the Regulars
Everyone looked good in that film -- especially Dana Delaney. Mmmm .... Dana Delaney ....

Oh! Where was I?

Oh yeah.

In serial cowboy films of the past it seems like they often put the comic relief character in a hat with the brim turned up in front. For a long time I associated that brim treatment with the goofy cowboy sidekick. But in studying old photographs it was quite commonly done and in Tombstone there was nothing comic about it. The demeaner and actions of the wearer give gravitas. Just look how cool and authentic Buck Taylor looks above. And Powers Boothe looked great in his upturned brim.

curly_bill.jpg

Now, what if it's done to a fedora?

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
In fedora form, you get the Leo Gorcey look from Bowery Boys. Or the young cub reporter from any number of movies.

I, too, remembered all the B westerns of my childhood and thought that the brim-up cowboy hat was reserved for the Gabby Hayes funnymen; but later noticed that, in Ford's cavalry trilogy, a number of soldiers wore their hats brim up, including John Wayne. And early cowgirls sometimes wore their big cowboy hats brim up in front (or side). The Roughriders I believe also wore their hats brim up, at least somewhat.

karol

Earp

One of the Regulars
K.D. Lightner said:
In fedora form, you get the Leo Gorcey look from Bowery Boys. ...

leo.jpg
Yep! That's what I was thinking.

Or this guy who brings back fond memories for me (The guy on the right as well for that matter ;) ) :

craz.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass