Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Joys of JURY DUTY!

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Lincsong said:
Back in 1999 I was called and interviewed. The judge looked at my bio and said; "oh, you were in law school for one year. I guess you decided the law wasn't for you" To which I replied; "Not really, it was the professors who decided that they didn't like my interpretation of the law in torts and constitutional law who failed me". She dismissed me.

I left Michigan under a cloud after my first "Socratic method" recite for
Marbury. I answered all the prof's questions correctly, which he apparently
didn't expect, so I was dragged over the first three articles of
the Constitution for thirty minutes as a reward. After the lecture ended,
a scene from The Paper Chase soon developed, but I told everybody
to forget a protest letter. The incident did, however, bother me because I
realized that the entire lecture was a busted flush. I saw the dean the next
morning, cashed in my chips, and returned to Chicago where I enrolled in
an evening law class and worked the overnight shift at a brokerage firm.
I figured I could just as easily pull in a full time salary while a full time
law student. lol All I ever needed were the books, not the lectures.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lincsong said:
Back in 1999 I was called and interviewed. The judge looked at my bio and said; "oh, you were in law school for one year. I guess you decided the law wasn't for you" To which I replied; "Not really, it was the professors who decided that they didn't like my interpretation of the law in torts and constitutional law who failed me". She dismissed me.

Con Law first year? Where? Or are you taking artistic license? ;)

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Harp said:
I left Michigan under a cloud after my first "Socratic method" recite for
Marbury. I answered all the prof's questions correctly, which he apparently
didn't expect, so I was dragged over the first three articles of
the Constitution for thirty minutes as a reward. After the lecture ended,
a scene from The Paper Chase soon developed, but I told everybody
to forget a protest letter. The incident did, however, bother me because I
realized that the entire lecture was a busted flush. I saw the dean the next
morning, cashed in my chips, and returned to Chicago where I enrolled in
an evening law class and worked the overnight shift at a brokerage firm.
I figured I could just as easily pull in a full time salary while a full time
law student. lol All I ever needed were the books, not the lectures.

Hi Folks,

The high attrition rate among law students is a function of many things. Many, if not most, people who leave law school do so for reasons other than "flunking out".

Atticus

Twitch

I'm waiting for my doctor to return the form excusing me from it. Since cancer and urinary tract surgery 1 1/2 years ago I have to go about 2-3 times and hour- not conductive to the jury format.:eusa_doh:

Miss_Bella_Hell

Atticus Finch said:
Hi Folks,

The high attrition rate among law students is a function of many things. Many, if not most, people who leave law school do so for reasons other than "flunking out".

Atticus

The attrition rate isn't very high anymore. But you're right, those who leave do it because they hate the law school experience/the law, not because they flunk out.

Miss_Bella_Hell

Harp said:
I don't know where Lincsong went, but Con is a 1L staple at Michigan,
and probably Harvard, Yale and other law schools.

No, it's usually torts, property, crim, civil procedure, contracts, and writing & research. Two semesters of con law are required and usually dealt with 2nd year.

That's my understanding. Of course, I could be wrong.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
No, it's usually torts, property, crim, civil procedure, contracts, and writing & research. Two semesters of con law are required and usually dealt with 2nd year.

Michigan and some other schools toss it in the 1L mix and keep the faculty happy.
I know Con is more commonly served second year. :)

Miss_Bella_Hell

Harp said:
Michigan and some other schools toss it in the 1L mix and keep the faculty happy.
I know Con is more commonly served second year. :)

Harvard and Yale (and Hofstra :rolleyes: ) added a transnational law course to the 1L courses now. Stupid.

MagistrateChris

One of the Regulars
Miss_Bella_Hell said:

I graduated law school in 1994. First year was Contracts I and II, Property, Torts I and II, Research and Writing I and II, Legislation (Semester I) and Con Law I (Semester II). Crim Law, Con LAw II, and Civil Pro were 2L classes.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I've been on two juries.
The first case involved two Cuban expats who were driving through my county with 5lb. of cocaine under the backseat. All testimony had to be translated.
The second was an international breech of contract suit with the plaintiff's all being from South America. Again, all testimony had to be translated.
I was chosen foreman each time.
Jurors can get really really emotional. Some people just find it all but impossible to pass judgment on another. It was astonishing to hear a woman say, after three days of deliberating, "I can't do it. Who are we to decide this? This is not my job."
But the very worst were those who changed their positions with the prevailing wind, just to get home faster. "How many say guilty? 11? OK me too. Let's get outta here."

warbird

One Too Many
Miss_Bella_Hell said:

This was my experience as well.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Con Law first year? Where? Or are you taking artistic license? ;)

Northern Illinois College of Law, DeKalb, IL.

It was a second semester course.

Torts- year long (and my favorite. Especially the case of the hairy palm.lol )
Contracts- year long
Civil Procedure- first semester
Constitutional Law- second semester
Property Law- Second Semester (my second favorite)
I forgot the other classes.:rolleyes: But, give me time, I'll remember them.:D

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
MagistrateChris said:
I graduated law school in 1994. First year was Contracts I and II, Property, Torts I and II, Research and Writing I and II, Legislation (Semester I) and Con Law I (Semester II). Crim Law, Con LAw II, and Civil Pro were 2L classes.

That is close to the make-up of our first year at Northern Illinois. Torts and Contracts was first and second semester, but only the second semester final counted towards the GPA for elevation to the 2L. Research and Writing I and II, that's the courses I forgot, but I didn't consider them as on the same level as say torts.:D We didn't have Legislation. That would have been interesting to take that course, I was an intern in the Hawaii State House. So Civil Procedure was 2L at your school? Interesting, that was a first semester class for us. (I would have graduated in 1994.)

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
The attrition rate isn't very high anymore. But you're right, those who leave do it because they hate the law school experience/the law, not because they flunk out.

I got my report card and two days later a letter from the Dean saying basically; don't come back you missed the GPA by 'this much'.:eek:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
:eek:fftopic:
Any opinions on Benton vs Maryland as relates to double trouble in
Commonwealth of Massachusetts vs Woodward under Five? :)

Miss_Bella_Hell

Lincsong said:
I got my report card and two days later a letter from the Dean saying basically; don't come back you missed the GPA by 'this much'.:eek:

I found out yesterday I missed top 10% by 'this much'...top 11% just isn't as glamorous :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters