Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Joys of JURY DUTY!

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Harp said:
And you can post your first Review Note as a thread! :)

Yeah, there's some great reading. :rolleyes: I just realized my school doesn't have a chapter of Order of the Coif. Maybe I'll spearhead the movement, get the Dean on that.

Phil

A-List Customer
Luckily I was able to dodge the one summons I got. It was kind of a slap in the face, but I didn't want to be there anyways. I don't know what the case was even. I walked in for the elimination process and everyone looked at me. Some guy, I think he was a clerk, came up to me, and sked if I really wanted to be here since I was so young. I said no, then thank you, and left.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Phil said:
Luckily I was able to dodge the one summons I got. It was kind of a slap in the face, but I didn't want to be there anyways.

Jury selection can seem capricious or perhaps even offensive if a quick cut
is called against you. But you might be chosen someday, and find the case
and trial interesting. :)

StanleyVanBuren

Miss_Bella_Hell said:
No, it's usually torts, property, crim, civil procedure, contracts, and writing & research. Two semesters of con law are required and usually dealt with 2nd year.

That's my understanding. Of course, I could be wrong.

This is how Pepperdine does it.

And they split crim into two first year courses; crim law and crim pro.

Phil

A-List Customer
Harp said:
Jury selection can seem capricious or perhaps even offensive if a quick cut
is called against you. But you might be chosen someday, and find the case
and trial interesting. :)

From what my parents say, it's a lot of civil cases. So far my dad has been on 2 cases where there were just some zoning problems or something. ANd my mom was on a case where the person cut down a tree or somthing like that. It sounds like a lot of wasted time, but who knows. Maybe I'll get that really cool case that makes papers and such.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was called for jury duty this week. This will be my third time being called in the past 35 years I've been eligible. To my surprise, I was selected to sit on a case this time. It is a civil case concerning a motor vehicle accident. I was surprised that I was selected as my job is a Safety director and that I'm also the Operations chief for our local fire/Rescue Department (I see a lot of wrecks in that work).

We've heard one day's worth of testimony and will probabally run through Thursday of this week. It should be interesting.

Josephine

One Too Many
I've always wanted to be on a jury. It's' on my list of Civic Duty stuff. :) I've gotten the notice a few times (here we call in the night before for a week to see if we have to appear), once I had to show up, but wasn't needed. Still got paid, and got money to pay the parking garage, which I parked a few blocks away on the street so was able to pocket.

We get paid in cash, they determined that it was cheaper than printing checks and paying for the processing of them.

And you can get deferred if you're breastfeeding.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I'm not a judge, but I played one in a play . . . lol
Actually I played the presiding officer in the Caine Mutiny Court Martial last year. That was fun.
My last jury duty stint was 4 years ago, in the Federal Court in Brooklyn. We convicted this lousy SOB of stealing millions from the government with a phoney HUD mortgage scam. It felt good to put a ba***rd like that behind bars for 5 years.

celtic

A-List Customer
I have been called twice, and was chosen once. The case was dismissed before we got to trial.

I am often surprised by the disdain and/or apathy about jury duty.

I look at it much like voting:

Many people have and are giving their lives so that I have the right and privilege to be able to vote and have a trial by jury.

I don't take it for granted, and if called I will gladly serve.

Can it be a burden? Of course. Is it worth the burden to live in a free country and be allowed these rights? Yes.

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
I got my first summons before I even turned 18. It was just prior to my birthday and the date was, of course, for after. I have to say as a young person I found it desperately stressful. I was then sent jury notices every single year henceforth. I almost always got let off because it usually happened during finals in college.

Last time though, I was actually chosen for jury. And any of you who are thinking they know the perfect way to be let off - don't bet on it. Half the people there tried and mostly to no avail. I didn't mind serving - but I thought surely I would not be chosen - as the the case was a DUI issue and my husband is a CACII (Drug and Alcohol counselor.) He makes money when the court sentences people with DUI. He is the guy they go to for court ordered classes and therapy. Sure way off the jury. Nope - I served.

Anyway, I thought it was very interesting and informative. I am not sure I would enjoy more in-depth cases (murder, rape, etc.) Might be too stressful, but who knows - it is a very important part of our system. And it is a great break from work! I just wish in our county one didn't have to drive to the ends of the earth to serve (our county seat is behind a mountain - literally!!!)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Last time I got my summons...I was truly disappointed that I did not even get to sit around a full day before being dismissed.

I had my laptop, with a cell-modem card..and had been looking forward to a whole day of internet-ing while I waited.

Well that and actual working.

Although usually, people who work for my company get put on the 'long trial' panels.....because Superglobalhypermegacorp pays -unlimited- jury duty with full pay.

The last panel I was on was for a 3 defendant double murder, and 10 other counts...type of trial......because it was scheduled to last a full -month-.....

Foofoogal

Banned
I have been called twice, and was chosen once. The case was dismissed before we got to trial.

me too. I so want to sit on a jury. they should keep a pool of people that want to serve. seems more reasonable to me. My brother is constantly getting picked and serving. He must have a look or something. He is an engineer. (not train) lol
maybe since I have moved I will get picked if ever called.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I have never been called for jury duty, despite wanting to do it! I know that sounds weird, but when I was in school, we did lots of mock trials and I found the process fascinating.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I have yet to be called, though I would be interested in participating if I were called. Though I have heard that based on my profession, the odds of me being kept on a jury for a trial would be slim. It seems like most people involved in criminal justice or law enforcement in general are individuals most lawyers wouldn't want on a trial, unless it was the rare case where having that individual could influence their case positively instead of the individual analyzing the way they have been trained to and not going off of public and human instinct.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany